Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Tormenting Chars for fun and profit

Author Topic: Tormenting Chars for fun and profit
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this odd habit of writing real experiences that happen to me into my storys. It might be a bad form of displacement, but it helps me work though things emotionally.
Just curious, does anybody else do that?

Also sorta in the same thought do you ever feel bad about tormenting your chars for the sake of conflict?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I try and avoid writing about myself....I don't wish to bore people.

I do like torturing a character, that is what makes a story better. Well, there is one catch, you have to have a reason for it happening. As long as you keep it believable, it works.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King does it in every book. (Ever notice the majority of his protagonists are authors, often alcoholic?)

[This message has been edited by TheoPhileo (edited April 14, 2004).]

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading his book on writing. He gives a good explination for it. I am not a big Steven King fan, but I have to say this book has been interesting.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with incorporating real experiences - truth stranger than fiction etc etc. Just as long as it doesn't start becoming confessional, that's where the story can get really BORING!
Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
I incorporate real expereinces...I think most of us do that even without thinking about it. The big difference between a story that borrows from real experiences and a biography or 'historical account' is that the former is typically dramatized and by the time the story is finished, there is more fiction than fact.

But you do need to be careful. I had written a short story once about an experience I had recently. The situation was deeply emotional--but only for me. When I re-read it, it turned out to be dull and uninteresting on paper. So I changed some details, made the characters more vivid, and basically spiced it up a lot and really dramatized it. The result was a much more vibrant story with great conflict and emotion.

Then I let my wife read it.

She became upset because she knew what the story was prompted by, and suddenly seeing characters treated that way really set her off. "Oh, so THAT's now you feel about that..." Er...NO. But the main character of the story does.... I had to make her read the original draft to understand why I did what I did to it.

So basically, just be careful. We all use life experiences, it's part of what makes a story uniquely ours. But be careful how closely you match it to real events and people, because you can offend folks without ever meaning to. (In fact, I think OSC has a similar warning in one of his writing books).

my 2 pennies (which is about all I've ever earned from MY writing skills to date).

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
THanks, Good to know I'm not crazy. Either that or we'll all crazy. I guess you have to be to write.

I usually read what I wrote then delete it. Sometimes it destroys the whole story. The other day I killed two chars that in my head had the image my brother and sister. I hope that didn't show through the writing or they'll be mad.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
FiveSides
Member # 1988

- posted      Profile for FiveSides   Email FiveSides         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a side note. Poe wrote about his sorrows when his wife Elleanor died. His gloomy life was reflected in his writting. Also, Hemmingway often had characters who died from suicide or had a abnormal death. He commited suicide, so did his father. His life came up in his writings but not to great extent. It was more like a style.

Just something to think about.

~James
I'm not paid enough to think

Posts: 17 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.