Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Bad writing = Good book?

Author Topic: Bad writing = Good book?
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought. I started reading Starship Troopers by Heinlen. You know, I've heard lots and lots of wonderful things about this book. Maybe I just got the wrong edition?

Sure it's interesting, even if the characters lead the reader through every detail of Heinlen's world by thinking about how everything works---things they've obviously used hundreds of times.

Sure, the characterization is good, even though the grammer's poor.

Sure, the style is good, even though he has MANY sloppy/poorly created examples of tense.

Sure, you can get into the uneven pace, even though there are quite a few editing mistakes.

I admit, the story itself is okay. The feel of the novel itself is great. But does that excuse poor writing?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it doesn't. Anyone who told you good things about anything Heinlein wrote is a liar.

LIAR!

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I love when people criticize grammar and spell it wrong. So wickedly delicious.

That having been said (and no hard feelings JB!), I haven't read this particular book -- but what I've read of Heinlen has not really impressed me.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein's easy to criticize. (One of his five Rules for Writing-- Number 3-- "You must refrain from rewriting, except to editorial order.") Despite that, I like Heinlein, although I'm not fond of _Starship Troopers_ and I cordially detested his later work. I enjoyed _Double Star_ and _Beyond This Horizon_ and _Time for the Stars_. I don't read many of the early SF authors for the writing-- I read them for the story. When I'm craving good writing I'll go get a hit of Austen.

Ah well. I guess this makes me a "LIAR!"

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the bad part of being a writer, it's hard to really love a book. Because as you read it you rewrite it. They do things that you would never dream of, and don't do things that are obviously the right way to go. I say if you like the book it's good. If you hate the writing, go write your own book and show them what real writing is. There has been some real stupid books with wonderfull writing. I'd rather have a good book poorly written, than a bad one perfectly written.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

Grammer has nothing to do with spelling in the age of spellcheckers. I wonder why people still turn in manuscripts with incorrect spelling.

Dynasty---normally I would agree, a good book is a good book regardless, but some books are so poorly written that it's a wonder anyone has the patience to complete them at all.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it tends to be more

good storytelling = good book

because good storytelling can make up for quite a bit of bad writing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

This is JB's wife
I am the one that wanted to buy Starship I have had the book for about 3 months now and am not even 3 chapters in (this is odd for me because I read most books in a day or two) I just cant get though it and I am NOT a writer My husband is wrong it is not a good book the characterization sucks I am trying my hardest to read it but cant
oh well its not for me to say what is bad writeing and what is good I am The worst writer/speller in the world but I had to say this

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kathleen on this.

I really enjoyed reading Starship Troopers because of the ideas and the story.

Double Star is one of my favorite novels, and The Man Who Sold the Moon is one of the best collections of single-author SF short stories.

(I'm not particularly a fan of his later works, but that's because the stories he started to tell were less interesting to me.)

As long as the writing is able to convey the story without excessive effort on the reader's part, the story is what matters.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Starship Troopers with great trepidation because of the lame movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. If the writing was bad, apparently the story hid it from me. Either that, or I was just relieved it wasn't about marauding bugs and coed military dorms. Never read anything else of Heinlein's so can't say where ST falls in his repertoire.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another thread where ST is discussed at some length. Too lazy to find it for you, JB.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too sure of this, because I haven't verified it, but after reading both books by Heinlein I can believe it. I heard from a somewhat reliable source that Heinlein was working hard on his more credited book, Stranger in a Strange Land, when he suffered from mild burnout and writer's block. To solve it, he took two weeks off and wrote Starship Troopers. Judging by the relative sizes and appearent work that went into each of them, this seems like a pretty plausable story to me.

If you really hated Starship Troopers that much, I still highly recommend that you read Stranger in a Strange Land. That one is filed under "classic" on my shelf.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Troopers was not my favorite of Heimlein's. That said, I did enjoy it. But ST is not representative is Heimlein's work. If that's all you've read, pick up something else. ST doesn't even have the raciness he's so well knwon for.

As to style of writing....let me take this moment to be completely honest. I get different feedback on my work when I give it to another writer versus a normal person. The normal people aren't just b eing nice, either (especially not my husband who just told me that the short story I handed him sucks), they just don't see one of a million rules violated and harp all over it. They don't see all the was' and weres as a problem. They don't care if you use a really or a just. (Although I imagine they might notice a certain lacking quality if the writing in general is weak.) They don't tell you "show don't tell". They'll tell you if your story is good, and that's what's important. Us writers have lost sight of story in the midst of all the brilliance we've gained in terms of mechanics. I, for one, am done being a mechanic.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
SIASL is the only Heinlein I've ever read (for some reason, his books are hard to come by in the UK). While I agree the book has a lot of positive points, I'd say it lacks a certain degree of style that would be required to call it a classic.

Or maybe I just failed to grok it in its fullness.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

I think the problem that you're having trouble naming, Jules, is that the book sucked. I could never figure out how Heinlein got so popular. I've always considered his books pretty much drivel. He's almost as bad as Hemmingway.
Christine
Member # 1646

wetwilly, it is unproductive to say that a book sucks. It rather blocks an academic discussion. If you believe the writing style was impenetrable, the subject matter obscene, or the endings never quite ended (which was actually my biggest problem with his books) then that's great. We can talk about that. "It sucked" doesn't exactly mean a whole lot. And for those of us who actually love his work and feel he is one of the best scifi writers of all time, it is merely argumentative.
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein is definitely a writer for the masses. He started in juvenile fiction and worked his way up from there. I never read a Heinlein book and noticed whether he dotted his i's or crossed his t's. I find that if I spend too much time critiquing a story, no matter who wrote it, then I can't enjoy it. I guess it depends on whether you're reading to enjoy the story or reading to test your ability to find faults in the writing of others.
Many people in the industry liked Heinlein's work, he earned enough awards along the way including the first ever Grand Master award. So maybe he is a writer for the science fiction masses.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or you lose credibility with us. (Referring to Christine's post.)

I won't say that he was one of the best SF writers of all time, necessarily, but he certainly was influential.

I will say he became very talky as he aged, but except for FARNHAM'S FREEHOLD, which I found way too depressing, I have enjoyed all of his books, even the talky ones.

You're allowed your own opinion, just as we are. Please try to express it in ways that are constructive instead of just argumentative. (Tell us what didn't work for you and, if you don't have any ideas on what could have been done instead, let it go at that.)

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 15, 2004).]

teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're over the age of 30, you probably read Heinlein when he was still writing. I first read Heinlein in the early 80's. Starship Troopers is a good novel. Although, it is one of his early novels, and his craft improved since then. His story lines deteriorated with his last few novels. The period affectionately known as "his dirty old man phase". I also agree with Kathleen.

JB: You spent your whole post telling how you liked the book from a reader's viewpoint. You also pointed out the problems with it from a writer's viewpoint. Also, let your wife know that it is for her to say what bad writing is. If she doesn't like a book, it's bad writing. She doesn't have to know why, but she won't recommend it to her friends. I hope she never says that about my writing.

Wetwilly: What don't you like about Heinlein's writing? Let's have some specificity, please.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude: You seem to use "The Masses" in a derogotory way, If I'm wrong about your tone I apologize. Who are we writing for if it's not "The Masses"? And aren't we also part of "The Masses"? If not are we some breed of superhumans who exist only to humor each other's Intelectuallity?
Yes we're writers, and yes sometimes we are absolutly brilliant, but we are always people.

(sorry, I needed to blow of some steam on Elitism.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
teddyrux, it's not just the over-30 crowd that read Heinlein when he was still writing. I'm not that old, and I did (just barely). Of course, he was my dad's favorite writer at the time, so I started real early...

Dude, Heinlein didn't start by writing juveniles, although he certainly did do quite a few of them!

I haven't read Heinlein in ages, but I remember enjoying what I did read of his work, including Starship Troopers. Sure, there were plenty of things to criticize, but not every flaw makes a piece worthless.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Hmmm...the masses? Well, whether derogitory or not, I think that's a wrong observation. Heimlein wrote in a time and for a culture in which his ideas were quite over the top. He had trouble selling his work and frankly, his ideas are still on the edge of what's considered socially correct. Between intense sexual promiscuity, group marriages, and incest I'm not quite sure who he was writing for...but I don't think it was the masses, whoever they are.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

For whatever it may be worth:

OSC has pointed out that "the masses" don't actually read. Whenever someone actually does get "elitist" (and I'm not saying that Dude was) about readers, they seem to forget that only about 10 percent of the population even bothers to read things that they don't have to.

So, as OSC says, when you're talking about readers as in the audience for stories, you're already being "elitist" in a way.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I see two camps starting to emerge here, the technicians and the Muses. Usually, in an argument about writing, I side pretty firmly with the technicians...I happen to be one, after all.

But in arguments about reading, I stick with the Muses. Not because I'm one even then, but because that's the technical standard I apply to criticizing a written work. I look at it in terms of those "elusive" virtues that make a work readable.

Starship Troopers is justly called an SF classic. End of story. It doesn't even matter whether I personally like the book or think the craft of its writing is up to par (I do happen to have liked the book, and the writing wasn't subpar).

To be dismissive of the accomplishment of Heinlein's early writing is to ignore the entire point of writing well, namely, so that you have an impact on the reader.

And I will freely admit, Heinlein was opposed to polishing his prose. But read Starship Troopers again sometime and see how much he gets right. The most striking criticism is the first, "the characters lead the reader through every detail of Heinlen's world by thinking about how everything works---things they've obviously used hundreds of times."

Actually, Heinlein was a master of SF exposition, a field that he nearly invented. And Starship Troopers is one of his best works in this respect. Please enlighten us as to how he got it wrong. I won't comment on grammer/style/pace/other issues except to mention that the book is written as a first person account, and well written at that. A good first person account isn't written like any of the third person accounts.

Starship Troopers reads like a book written about soldiering written by a soldier. To paraphrase a previously asked question,

quote:
You admit the story itself is okay. The feel of the novel itself is great. So how does that add up to poor writing?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I get the feeling that half of us are really defending our childhood in some way?

It's like if someone told you that they hated The Wizard of Oz. Most people I know would immediately jump to it's defense, even if they barely remember watching it.

In all honesty, Robert A. Heinlein is an aquired taste. I had always found his ideas to be fascinating and simply ignored the stylistic shortcomings. I sometimes even wonder if he's actually met a real, living, woman.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

When it comes to women, Heimlein reads like a mass of contradictions. I have a sense that his view of women shifted throughout his writing career, but since I didn't read his book in publication order, I just never knew who I was going to get. His women are, to say the least, amusing. At the exact same time he manages to be a sexist and a progressionist...I don't really understand how it works, to be honest. I just know that he has strong women that like to have relations with anyone they come into contact with. (He was ahead of that sixtie's revolution, to be sure.) At the same time there is a definite division in his mind when it comes to male and female roles.

I'm not so sure he never met a woman, but I would be *fascinatinated* to meet the women he knew.

Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't think "the masses" was that controversial a phrase. Anyway, I didn't mean the ignorant, unwashed masses. As Kathleen pointed out, they don't read. If you insert the term "popular audience" instead, that is probably closer to what I meant. And, yes, I fall in this category as well.

American science fiction started out as comic books and campy stories (Buck Rodgers comes to mind). It started out and has continued to be popular fiction not necessarily literary fiction. Heinlein helped develop the modern version of science fiction and for that I think he deserves recognition.

Christine, I do think Heinlein's work was popular with a wide audience. "Stranger in a Strange Land" had an impact on the 60's movement where sexual promiscuity and group marriages were popular concepts. I understand there are still nests out there based upon the concepts in this book.

Eljay, I can't help but think of Heinlein's books as juveniles mostly because I read them all when I was a teenager. I have heard many of his earlier works described as such also. I can't remember where, so maybe I was wrong.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

never mind.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited April 16, 2004).]

Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I find I can be interested and excited by any setting as long as the storytelling is smooth and well executed, and teh characters are developed. Because when you are reading about developed characters, they are real people and somehow capivate your interest.

Even a good/more interesting setting for a story can't account for flat characters.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Well, I think I've figured out why I couldn't come up with anything constructive to say about why I think Heinlein "sucks." I really don't know why. All I know is, I've never read anything by him that really grabbed me. In fact everything I've ever read by him, I had to force myself to get through, which is rare for me. After all, I just got done worshipping Henry James in another post, so I'm obviously willing to put forth a pretty good effort to get through something. Heinlein just never connected with me on any level. I've given him a good chance, read probably 5 or six of his books (or at least started 5 or 6).

Why I hated them, though, I can't say. I'd have to read him again to figure it out. Seeing as how I don't have enough time to read the stuff I want to read, chances of slipping something in that I don't want to read are pretty slim.

Any other Heinlein haters out there who have an idea why it didn't work for you? If someone doesn't come up with a reason, I won't be able to save myself from looking like an argumentative jackass.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, there's a lot of stuff in Heinlein that sucks some hard eggs. His views of women and sexuality are only the tip of the iceberg. I believe I implicitly limited my defense of him to his earlier works...the ones that actually got edited by competent professionals.

But he did have some solid strengths as a writer (particularly as a writer of SF), and the fact that he put out some amount of garbage for public consumption doesn't mean that nothing he ever wrote had value. Frankly, it was the fault of the public that they had an appetite for garbage.

Starship Troopers is, in my personal opinion, the best thing he ever wrote. Other people disagree. But the fact remains, I've read a half dozen of his books and decided that only one of them was really worth it (the one in which women qua women play a very limited role, as it happens ). I also credit him with being one of the founders of several important techniques in SF writing. He was an accomplished scientist (well...yeah, accomplished rather than distinguished or anything like that) before he started seriously writing SF. And he had vision...whatever that means. I don't always (or even largely) agree with his vision, but there comes a point when you must separate the artist's personality from the work of art.

Of course, I'm a radical that way.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

I was more trying to stir up an interesting topic with this post than anything. Fact of the matter is, I can see why Heinlein was a successful writer. His imagination. He developed ideas and characters that were real to people. Every writer has his/her strengths and weaknesses. I've heard so often that one writer is great at this or that, characterization or description, action or poetry.

No novelist will suit all people in all respects. Some will have great weaknesses (as I believe Heinlein does with respect to the English language in general). But if they're read, if they're popular, they'll have strengths that outweigh their weaknesses in a lot of people's minds.

Critical analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of other novelists, I believe, is one of the skills that will develop a novelist. It drives one to analyze what works within their own work, and what doesn't. We can't pussyfoot around our opinions and gut intuition, for they are what drives us toward truly great work; but the validation that others have drawn the same conclusions in analysing a work as you have, can further bolster your opinion and self-esteem.

I think that you have to be a little bit arrogant to be successful. Otherwise, your work won't reach out and spread the passion which you feel.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.