Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Games (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Games
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, got my random bad guy dialogues mixed up.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad guy? You're calling me a bad guy? I never actually SAID my clock starts over. You're the one who made that false assumption. I said I maxed it out. TWICE! MY clock doesn't start over. What I was accusing you of was rigging your game so the clock does start over, or using a version in which it does.

Now, before you start ripping me for ripping you, you have to know the #1 rule for dakota. Never, under any circumstances, take anything that might possibly be intended as offensive, seriously. When I'm serious about offending someone, they know it. Without doubt.

My accusations are totally in jest and totally meant to try to make myself look better, cause I do not see how it is AT ALL possible to get a score of 149 on that horrid game.

But then, you guys are such geniuses!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

No, I was...okay, you've seen The Dark Crystal, right? Where the new Skekses emperor is accusing the scientist of being a fraud and everything because his "essence of pod people" potion doesn't restore his youth, that's what I was going for. But then Ye olde'time Strongbad cut in with his response to yet another question about how he could use the electric telegraphometer whilst wearing gentleman's sporting gloves.

Anyway, I was like "garh!" over my foolishness in playing minesweeper whilst surfing the internet (and watching some really weird show about ninjas), getting a new best score, and losing over four seconds to sitting there staring at the clock with a slack-jawed expression on my face.

But I wasn't quite literate enough to just restrain my comments to "garh" when I finally got a board done except for one tile, then waited most of 15 minutes for time to run out.

Garh! I say, Garh!

babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
oooh, games..

Ok, Minesweeper was getting out of hand (I personally suck, no, I won't tell you my score.)

For field events, the Aztecs had a basketball like game, played on a huge field surrounded by sloping walls. In midfield, on either side, a ring just berely bigger that the ball (a rock wrapped in leather)

The losing team was sacrficed to the gods.

(although some claim it was the winning team that got sacrificed--it was a great honor)

Board games. The Egyptians played Senet about 5,000 years ago. Although the rules have been lost, it is said to be similar to the african game of Mancala (also been around for a long long time) You can actually find Mancala baords, there is a revival of old non-western board games. It is played on a board with holes, four pebbles to a hole. Object is to gather the pieces and place them in your goal. Not going to post the entire set of rules here, hehe.

Chess, a stated above, began in India a couple thousand years ago. The modern version, as we know it, acheived its form in the early 1800's I believe, so if it was in Europe in the middle ages, probably was very different.

The Romans played dice, made out of bone or ivory.

That was my little bit, hope it helped

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
WAHOOO!!! 430! Thanks to Survivor for the tutorial. NOW I can quit playing that stupid game.

Yeah, right.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for Kathleen...

The game of buzkashi was a central theme for the book by Joseph Kessel (1898 - 1979), "Les Cavaliers". It was later made into a movie that premiered in 1970, called "The Horsemen" and starring Jack Palance in the best role of his life, with Omar Sharif for support.

It is interesting that the most riveting scene in the movie (for me, anyway, the aged Horseman putting himself together piece by piece, literally, first thing in the morning) is a faithful reproduction of that scene in the book. I wonder how hard that was to write?

Has anyone else read the book and also seen the movie? Did the scene I noted above also strike you as well done? How would you have written it differently?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, Mike. I'll have to see if I can track down a copy of the book and the movie.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Ywp, now I'm re-interested also. I'm going to find the book just to re-read that scene to see if it is still as striking as it was 30 years ago. Uh, before I was born. WAY before. ;-)
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if anyone else noticed, and I scanned this thread for the details, but did not see it mentioned anywhere. If you play the really really hard game "Quest for the Crown" (web site listed earlier in the thread), and actually win, then you need to watch the credits.

It credits Orson Scott Card with writing.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, well...there were a lot of people involved in bringing us this fine game, according to the credits.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.