Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » element

Author Topic: element
deena_ta
Member # 1980

- posted      Profile for deena_ta   Email deena_ta         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to write a story about elementals,pepole who can control one of the four element: fire, water, wind and earth.
My question is: Are there certin guidlines that i need to follow on how to control thier element or does anything go.
DTA

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 1353

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It's your story-- what rules there are, you must make.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I...what are you asking?

It looks, at first blush, rather as though you're asking if there is an established magical system worked out by some industry group--"The Fantasy Magic Use Consortium" or something--which you must follow when writing your own, original work.

I can think of two ways I might answer this question yes.

In the first case, you should have capitalized "elementals" and probably thrown in the name of the original author or series creator. For instance, if I wanted to write a Star Wars or Animorphs novel (which I don't, but if I did), I would need to follow a lot of guidelines as to what can happen and how everything is supposed to work. So if it should have been "Elementals, like in Gimbooker Gabley's Ick! series," then the answer is yes, you must follow the rules laid down by whoever controls the intellectual property rights to "Elementals, like in Gimbooker Gabley's Ick! series."

On the other hand, if you mean that there are definite rules to creating a fantasy story that intelligent people can read, then yes, there are "rules" of a sort. For instance, the magic use should have realistic consequences. For example, if people that can summon hurricanes and tornadoes are pretty common, then are there still armies in your world? Same thing for people that can make water spring up out of the ground, why would anyone come up with the idea of aquaducts in that case? How does it affect your preindustrial society to have people who can blow up a city running around? Does anyone even bother with building stuff if a quarter of the population can demolish any grounded structure?

These sorts of questions generally are answered by using a system of costs and limitations on magic use. The classic limitation is that only a select minority can really do much with magic...variations abound but relative scarcity is quite important in dramatic economy generally. We tell stories about the exceptions, after all, not the rule. There isn't one established cost, but generally it is believed that the cost should be enough to offset the benefit of using magic in most cases, so magic is usually a last resort. I like costless systems myself, because I find the questions raised by unlimited magic use far more interesting than the fairly tired themes that infest most fantasy.

That's why I'm on the Speculative Fiction side of things myself. The whole point is "what if?"

But really, the rules are written thus, "What will your target audiance accept?"

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
*avoids snarky, sarcastic reply*

Your book, your world, your magic.

Do what you want.

Good luck.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the impression that you were looking for places for inspiration more than anything. I would suggest investigating mythologies. Animistic religions, Druidic legends, and so on. Dig deep, you might like what you find. These are stories told/written so well that they have survived for thousands of years.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say do some research, then if your ideas sound plausable, do it. You just have to be able to have your audience buy into what you are writing.

I almost hate to keep bringing it up, but there is a host of reference material in AD&D manuals. DEITIES & DEMIGODS for instance or any of the various MONSTER MANUALS or FIEND FOLIO, even UNEARTHED ARCANA. Certainly not the only references but things are detailed very well in those manuals. Read some other successful fantasy novels that have dealt with that same type of magic system, see how those authors handled it. Then put your spin on it and see how it works. It is pretty tough to go wrong unless you come up with a world full of "superheroes", where everyone is tossing around fire and walls-of-air or waterspouts etc...

The nice thing about writing Fantasy is, there aren't any hard-fast rules like Sci-Fi, so almost anything goes. It just takes creative originality.

[This message has been edited by TruHero (edited April 26, 2004).]

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is it's your call,

But If you would like some fun insight, there are five elements. (And I'm not just taking from the "Fifth Element" here although it's an exellent movie. This comes from many sources.)
The fifth is Life, and it is made up of the other four, our bodies are made of earth (and returns to earth after we die) Our Blood is water, we breathe the wind, and we have the fire within us. (perhaps the spirit, the mind or just simple body heat it deviates there.)
It's fun playing with elements, hope the story turns out.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
And once you've got your rules, you should probably stick to them. No having a FireMage or whatever suddenly discover he can control tidal waves and wipe out the antagonist, or your readers will be rightfully peeved. (Unless the FireMage nearly kills himself working with an unfamiliar element and has to run away, of course. That could be fun.)
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.