Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » accents

Author Topic: accents
deena_ta
Member # 1980

- posted      Profile for deena_ta   Email deena_ta         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you write a accents? I want to write about an irish guy but i don't know how to write his accent
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Find a few common Irish dialect words that most people understand. Use them liberally in his speech.

(In related news, the All-Ireland Tree Fellers Competition has been won by tree fellers from Dublin)

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you knew how, I'd recommend you don't do it. Accents are just hard to read. What you need to do is choose the correct phraseology. And if you don't know what words your Irishman would use, then don't try. Or at least, don't submit until someone who really knows the right cadences has checked it over for you. Probably you want to limit yourself to just a few touches here and there ("Sure, and now you're going to be telling me. . . ." rather than "Yeah right. Next your going to tell me. . . ."), but you'll still want someone else to check it over.

Is there some reason the character has to be Irish?

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having the same problem. There's a woman from Louisiana in my novel (yes, it's important to the story). If I write her dialogue the way it really sounds, it's virtually illegible, and she seems ignorant. If I just SAY she has an accent, it feels weird writing everything else normally.

Where's a good halfway point? Do I just find some colloquial terms and throw them in? Do I only write select words in dialect? And if so, which ones? (It grates on my nerves the way in X-Men that Rogue always says "Ah did this" and "Ah did that.")

What things can I do that won't distract the reader?

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's take a southern accent, for an example, and see if we can work this out.

Ya'll goes in the dialogue...it is quite recognizable and quite readable.

Ah for I...feels quite a bit more distracting. I had to read your example three times before I understood the substitution you were trying to make. Besides, the southern accent doesn't quite make an I into an ah...it's close but not quite there. It's more that northerners put a sort of "e" sound on the end of their I...Ieeeee. Well, it's not exaggerated like that, but we fully pronounce the I whereas southerners touch on the first part of the sound without finishing it. (I dated a southerner for few years and we spent some time talking about things like this.)

Now, the cajun accent is different from southern, of course, but I'm still not sure about the ah. One thing I would consider doing is trying to find a person who speaks the way you intend and study it.

Anyway, dialects are very very difficult to write. Here's another southern example: the word oil is pronounced more like ole. They take out the "oi" sound. Actually, ole doesn't quite cut it either because they pronounce the oi like oh ill...except faster and not so exaggerated. You see the difficulty? How do you even write these words?

And here's the bottome line. If you are writing from the point of view of a southerner, they don't think I is spelle "ah". They don't think oil is spell ohill, they only say it that way. Misspelling words that a point of view character knows how to spell is quite definitely out of POV. And when we hear it, we translate the words corrrectly.

I'd say the best way to do it is with specific word choices and dialogue tags that constantly keep us in mind of their voice.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll reiterate what Christine said regarding accented dialogue by a POV character, because it's important: A POV character believes he is saying the words correctly, so you should spell the words correctly.

Accents are relative. I think it was Andy Griffith who said something like "If you take one of our Southern boys or girls and send them up north, pretty soon they'll pick themselves up an accent."

When it comes to the dialogue of non-POV characters, unless the accent is so thick that the POV character isn't able to understand what is being said, spell the words correctly and either mention that the character has an accent or else imply the accent through word choice.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A POV character believes he is saying the words correctly, so you should spell the words correctly.

I don't believe that's how it was done in Huck Finn, so it's really a subjective matter.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Huck Finn was published in 1885. Things have changed a bit since then.

But I suppose I should qualify my statement. In a first person narrative, you may want to spell the words the way the character would spell them, as if the character were writing it all down.

But for a third-person POV character, you should spell the words correctly rather than trying to spell them phonetically based on an accent, because those are the words the character believes he is saying.

It may sound to you like someone pronounces "birds" as "boids," but that person thinks he is saying "birds." To spell it "boids" when writing something from that person's point of view would be incorrect.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited April 28, 2004).]

Thieftess
Member # 1683

In this case, the woman from Louisiana (Ebony) is not the POV character.

I have friends as close as family that are from Louisiana (or live there). So I said all Ebony's lines out loud like my friend Ora's Aunt Mae. I tried spelling things out exactly as they sounded, skipping syllables and slurring the words together. It was laughable how illegible it was.

I definitely want to include "y'all" and "bebe" ('causin reelaaf Ora's Aint Mae calls e'bady "bebe")...for now I'm just writing her dialogue and going back to it later. So far, Ebony's only briefly at the beginning of the book. Hopefully, I'll figure her dialogue out before she shows up again later...

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It also might be well to consider that English doesn't keep to phonetic spelling no matter what dialect you're speaking.

Consider, when was the last time you spelled "I" "e-y-e" or "eye" "I"? But that's what everyone actually says, right? "Yu'l pt yor I aut!"

Basically, you only want to signify that the POV character has an accent when the POV character is actually conscious of that fact for some reason.

Like my brother's experience with a Korean mechanic, who said there was a problem with the "pilter". From his POV, the exchange might have looked like so--

"Yes, the filter needs to be replaced."

"The what?"

"Your filter. It'll be only a minute."

"What's a...pilter?"

Only at that point does our intrepid mechanic remember that he can't reproduce fricatives, having never heard them growing up.

Mark Twain was around before the idea of standardized spelling had really taken hold completely. And he didn't write in modern POV, since narrative voice was still the rule in those days.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
My own private theory on why the fashionable way of writing accents has changed over the years is that we now have audio recordings. When things like Mark Twain or Wuthering Heights was written, no one outside those regions knew what the accent sounded like. Now we do. So, authors that wanted to give an accurate feel of an accent used to have to reproduce it phonetically. We don't have to do that anymore, we can just hint at an accent and our audiences imagination fills in the gaps because they already know what it sounds like.

I grew up in the South and there are multiple southern accents. My husband tells me that when I talk to my parents I don't pick up an accent, but my word choice and rhythm changes. For instance: instead of saying "I'm going to Aunt Gen's" I'll say, "I'm going to go on over to Aunt Gen's." What are all those extra words doing? I dunno, it's just the way folks talk. I also have a hard time hearing my parents' accents, even though they are quite pronounced.

For me, the rhythm and word choices are what makes someone belong to a region. I mean, if I write "That's bloody unlikely." No amount of phonetic spelling will convince you that it's someone from the Bronx.

(By the way, if anyone has a story set in Tennessee, North Carolina or Georgia, I would be happy to proof your Southernisms. Outside of those regions, there's a greater chance of error.)

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited April 28, 2004).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Thanks EJS + Survivor, very enlightening.
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
With the Irish accent it is probably best to use some standard phrases. Remember that even with the correct spelling in place we speak differently and use different wording... So use "Ah well then..." and "Ah go on with you..." Just be careful you don't end up with too much father Ted in there...

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always rely on The Dialectizer. I don't know how I'd have written the hacker leet in my last story without it. Or as the Dialectizer says, "oi don't Konw how i'd have writteN thd hax0 73te inm y last storu wtihout It,,"

More seriously-- I suspect the dialect level is another matter of personal preference, but for me, reading a story with a lot of painstakenly phonetically rendered dialect drives me crazy. A few carefully placed key words ("ayeh" or "y'all" or "slap that mozzie, mate, and pass me a stubbie") will be enough to key me into which dialect is being used without driving me crazy, and I can read in the rest. (By contrast, I really like reading things written with different cadences to the words, different spoken rhythms and words and emphases. But I suspect that's very hard to pull off if you're not a native speaker of another sort of English. I certainly haven't tried.)

[This message has been edited by Gen (edited April 28, 2004).]

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I *hate* dialects, at least in heavy amounts.

A little paper I wrote on it, and how it hurts To Kill A Mockingbird.

quote:

A degree of realism is demanded in all forms of literature, even in genres such as fantasy and science fiction. After all, no one wants to read a nonsensical story. However, some authors are paranoid about not being realistic enough, and this phobia reveals itself in their works. Harper Lee is one of those writers, and in her novel To Kill a Mockingbird, she is obsessed with creating a perfect southern atmosphere. She tries to achieve this goal by imitating southern dialect, but instead of making her novel more enjoyable, this tactic makes it at points near impossible to read.

Lee uses a range of devices in her attempt to recreate the southern tone of speech, including making up words, especially to represent sounds, slurring words together, eliminating vowels, using cliches, and a lot of adverbs. "Nome," she writes, apparently uncomfortable with a simple "no" (21). "Yeb'm," another example of this absurd style of writing, requires great concentration to understand (21). Extremely difficult to read, such words proliferate throughout the entire book, forcing the reader to spend minutes deciphering them.

Even worse are the sounds Lee feels that she has to recreate. "S-ss-ss," she has Miss Maudie cryptically say (48). After a hiatus of several hundred pages, the "s" sounds return, where "S-s-s" appears four times in the same paragraph (266). However, Harper Lee's love of sounds is not restricted to "s." She also likes the "r" sound, as shown by Jem simply saying "Ar-r" (58). No explanation is given, nor are any other words said next to the "Ar-r." Even simple, real onomatopoetic words like "sh" are twisted for Lee's precious southern feel. "Sh" becomes "Sh-h" (59).

Lee utilizes a rich combination of cliches, in dialog, as well: "High and mighty," Scout accuses Jem of being (51). "Easy does it," Atticus advises his children (115). To understand someone, you have to "climb into his skin and walk around in it" (33). Snow, according to Jem, is "so cold it burns" (73). The list goes on, approximately one cliché every twenty pages.

Another area where Lee's obsession with realism can be seen is in clauses modifying dialog. "I screamed" is an example of this author intrusion, because the phrase does nothing to alter the overall phrase, "Why don't you get it?" which is obviously being screamed when looked at contextually (53). These clauses especially saturate page 180: "Atticus conceded," "I affirmed," "Atticus said flatly," "he announced."

Lee also likes to eliminate syllables, perhaps trying to create a rushed, slurred style of speech. However, again this trick serves to annoy. "'You c'n push," is just begging for a vowel (41). But at least with "c'n" the word's meaning is still intact. "Chillun" may have only two syllables, an entire one less than "children," but it unfortunately makes much less sense (220).

At points, all these tricks combine together to form spectacular, albeit unreadable, sentences, such as "'Nome thank you ma'am,' he drawled softly," and "'Yeb'm,' he finally mumbled" (21).

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
On another site I've been watching a disection of the dialects used by Rowling's in the Harry Potter books.It was made clear on this web site that the accents used are all attached to very specific locations. What the thread made clear to me was that if you are going to use a specific accent you better know what you are doing because it will be noticed and perhaps even offencive if you do it wrong .
I'll stick to fantasy dialects.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting sidenote. The "Wuthering Heights" that most people read is actually a translation of the original. Bronte wrote all of the Yorkshire dialogue in a full phonetically realized Yorkshire dialect. It is as impenetrable as a foreign language.

Mary Robinette

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oddly, check out the footie pajamas topic, which has somehow drifted from a spelling question into a dialect free-for-all on the correct name for carbonated beverages. Accents abound. Sort of.
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
Point well made, Phanto. I agree 100%. Trying to write dialect by modifying words just ends up being messy, amateurish, indecipherable, or all three. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is combine POV observation ("she said with a thick Southern accent") with careful word choice, as others have noted.

[This message has been edited by AeroB1033 (edited April 29, 2004).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
deena_ta
Member # 1980

- posted      Profile for deena_ta   Email deena_ta         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your replys. Sadly it raises another question. Where am i going to find out the speech mannerisms of an irish guy
DTA

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that when you want to show an accent that the best way to do it is to have the person start out talking that way with garbled up speech, then to smooth it out into normal spelling and that the reader will then assume that the character talks with that accent.

Shrug

Don't know. I have an accent speaking group in the novel I am working on right now. I use a small amount of words they would use but limit the use -- hoping the reader will assume and fill in the rest.

But you know what they say about assume.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that character accents should be like character noses.

Most of the time, you don't really notice your own nose...you just don't really see it most of the time. And you don't usually notice other people's noses much either, unless they are really outrageous.

But boy, when you see some guy that has a second head growing out of the middle of his face...you can't not notice it, you can hardly see anything else. Only a supreme act of will allows you to pretend you're looking at anything else.

So sometimes having the POV character notice an accent is perfectly okay. Other times, it would just be silly. Just think to yourself, what if this accent were a nose...how would I write that?

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

True story about accents:

Several years ago I took an Australian to a Mexican restaurant. She'd never had Mexican food before, so she asked me what it was like.

I'm no gourmet, so the best description I could come up with was "It's somewhat spicy."

She got a puzzled look. "Spicy?"

"Yes. You know, with lots of spices in it."

She looked at me like I was crazy. Finally we figured out that from her point of view, the conversation sounded like this:

"It's somewhat spacey."

"Spacey?"

"Yes. You know, with lots of spaces in it."

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Ha!

My brain sometimes translate things out of Southern accents even when the person isn't speaking with one. For instance, this actual conversation, the way I heard it.

Me: "How do you have such neat handwriting?
Friend: I studied topography.
Me: Really? They do handwriting stuff in mapmaking?
Friend: No. Not topography, typography.

The friend in question is from NYC.

Mary

Thieftess
Member # 1683

I moved to South Carolina from Vermont when I was six. The hall monitor at my elementary school said things like, "Y'alltakey'allsbookandgotoy'allsclassroom"

It was an entirely different language. True and utter culture shock. Now I can almost pinpoint where in the south someone was born by their accent. (Just a regular American Henry Higgins...)

Survivor
Member # 213

Southerners...oh, that would cross the line, though.
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Irish accent question.

It's a difficult question to answer because even though it's a small island Irish people have different accents depending on which part of it they're from. I can't give much help on the specifics I'm afraid but I believe generally, those in the south tend to speak with a thicker, more stereotypical accent than those from the north.

You could always try watching a couple of Irish films flimed with an Irish cast in Ireland.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
For phrasing, read any books written by Irish people. They'll almost certainly help a lot.

On the subject of films, the best Irish film I've ever seen is The Commitments. Well worth watching a few times. If memory serves, the dialect in that isn't strong, but it is present.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you will find that the Irish from the city speak with a much lighter accent than those from the rural areas. My parents have one Irish friend not even the other Irish can understand. In his home town they all spoke Gaelic. So the accent was as thick as a very thick thing...
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Got to leap in here as the ubiquitous Irishman (ok, woman but hey). I'm sure this goes for every accent in the world however.

There's a certain phraseology to the way people speak. In Ireland particularly it's related to a certain extent to the actual Irish language. The more urbanized the area, the less it impacts the way people speak. Also, nowadays, the impact of TV, radio, cinema and world media in general has also changed what is in effect a 'patios'.

My take would be to use the phrases without the spelling changes. Things like "That's grand", "Sure you did", "I'm after telling you", But please please please no "Yes indeed and begorrah". There are some words (particularly swear words for some reason) which have a distinctive Irishness and I've seen them spelled differently which works. But in these cases the meaning is generally softened. "Jaysus" is a lot milder that using Jesus. Its more often said in a joking manner.

If you try and indicate accent phonetically you end up with dialogue that's initially very hard to read. There's one exception to this that I know of. I remember reading a book years ago called Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban which was set in a post-apocalyptic world where language had evolved and is narrated by a 12 year old. The whole book was written in this style and it was done brilliantly. It's the only time I can remember reading this sort of thing and seriously getting into it. After a few pages your mind did the translation:

quote:

What ben makes tracks for what wil be. Words in the air pirnt foot steps on the groun for us to put our feet in to

or one of my favourites

quote:

I dont have nothing only words to put down on paper. Its so hard. Some times theres mor in the emty paper nor there is when you get the writing down on it. You try to word the big things and they tern ther backs on you. Yet youwl see stanning stoans and ther backs wil talk to you.

Says quite a bit about the writing process.

But this only worked because the whole book was written this way. There was no "normal" phraseology used at all.

I've been in America and had people pinpoint me as Irish when I used a word like "Grand". I've been in the UK and had people think I must be Australian because they can't place my accent - it isn't particularly Irish. I had a linguistics teacher in college who could tell me what part of Devon my mother came from. I suppose its all relative.

[This message has been edited by RFLong (edited May 06, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things about accents:

First, I once heard a man giving a short, memorized speech, and could tell that he was a native German speaker. What puzzled me was how I knew. His pronunciation was correct for proper English, and the words he was saying were proper English syntax (it was a speech written by someone else, so he had no input on the syntax or word choices), and all I could figure was that his "music" as he spoke was pure German.

Since then, I've noticed what I call "music" in other accents, and I think that until you learn the "music" of another language, the native speakers of that language will know you are not a native speaker, no matter how good your pronunciation or vocabulary or syntax is.

Of course, that won't help with written dialects, but it may help you think about how to describe an accent.

Second, the word choices, the phrase choices, the figures of speech, and the syntax a speaker uses can all indicate an accent without you ever having to mess with how the words are spelled. The hard part is finding out what those things are so that your readers will "get it" about the accent.

The suggestion to read work by Irish writers is a good one, especially if you look at the dialog. I'd recommend that you look for plays by Irish writers who are depicting Irish speakers. A good one for that is PLAYBOY OF THE WESTERN WORLD by J M Synge. Some of James Joyce's stuff (like "The Dead" but not FINNEGAN'S WAKE) might also help. If you could find them on tape, with a native Irish reader, that would be really helpful.

Movies of those works would be good too. WAKING NED DEVINE is also a good one, as is THE QUIET MAN. You'll probably want to listen to them instead of watch them, and do it several times, so you really get a feel for the way they choose their words.

Avoid messing with the spelling and just go with the words and phrases and figures of speech. And watch out for stereotypical phrases like "Faith and Begorra!" (Unless your character is using such cliches on purpose.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.