Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » the stupid submission dance, and a question

Author Topic: the stupid submission dance, and a question
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I just prepared my second fiction submission this evening, and what a task it was! I thought I had everything ready to go, and was just taking one last look at the manuscript. It's a good thing I did, because I found a problem in my header. Fixed that, thought it was all set, then discovered a typo in the editor's name. Fixed that, then realized I'd almost forgotten to sign my cover letter. Signed it, got everything all assembled and sealed, then realized my title could be a little stronger if I changed one word. Undid everything, changed the title, reprinted it, and redid everything. I spent more energy on preparing the manuscript than I spent writing today!

Please, someone tell me I'm not the only person who's done this!

Also, a question--what markets do you suggest for humorous science fiction?

I've always said I can't write anything funny, but after recovering from mailing off my first submission, I sat down and wrote a 1700-word piece of humorous science fiction, all in one sitting, with no real planning. I wasn't going to do anything with it, because I was sure it couldn't be as funny as I thought it was, but my husband laughed out loud when he read it and said to send it somewhere right away.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've screwed up the headers and had to reprint something. With a laser printer it's not that bad, but I still feel for the trees. (And there are sections of the WIP that are missing the header-- I'm not going back on a rough draft.)

Humorous shorts are problematic, especially under 3000. (Can you tell I'm currently marketing one?) The obvious first market would be F&SF-- they specifically request humorous SF.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't exactly relate to that, simply because all of my submissions have been by email. It does sound like you've removed all the jinxes the evil submission fairy put on your work.

Good Luck

Rux
:}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some humorous shorts in Asimov's from time to time. Might try there too.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
it's the evil submission curse--when you go to send something out it's Murphy's law--what ever can go wrong will go wrong.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I once submitted a query letter in which I stated my novel was complete at 9,000 words.

Yep, missed a zero. Duh! I was so busy proofing the spelling that the number went right by me. Never again, though!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 1353

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Asimov's, Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Analog will all give extra consideration to sci-fi humor.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay, you are not the only one who does this. I don't know how many times I've had to open up the submission to put the stamp on the SASE. I also produced a cover letter recently that:
1. Misspelled the Editor's name even through I knew better.
2. Had the wrong story title (I use a template cover letter, and didn't change it), which happened to be of my previous submission to the same magazine.
3. Didn't sign the letter.
This would be a better story (for my sub) if I hadn't realized those errors were there 2 Days after it had been mailed (Why I even realized at all, I'm not sure). I am not proud.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend sells regularly to SUN Magazine (yes, that tabloid with all the crazy headlines). She sells both short sci-fi stories plus short romance stories. Says they pay 10 cents per word, and want (I think) 2,000 words for the sci-fi. Anyway, she says it's a great market as they need a story a week for both the romance and sci-fi, and it appears once the editor is comfortable with your work they are willing to keep buying.

As for unpacking, re-doing, etc., oh yeah, have done it, still do!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL--maybe I should pick up one of those SUN mags and see what's inside.

And, yes, I have sent out letters with the name wrong. But on the other hand, out of the rejections my agent has sent from publishers--very very few have spelled my name correctly. I am most often Howan. And a he.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.