Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » withdrawl

Author Topic: withdrawl
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else start to suffer withdrawl while the site was down?

Oh well, it was probably good for me. I wrote 2500 words on my novel and 1000 words of a new short story yesterday.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes! I also did about 2500 words on my novel. No new short work, but I got an idea for the next novel. Now, there's a way to motivate myself to get this one finished!

(Nothing like a self-centered philosophy - it's all my fault; the site was down so that I would read something else and get an idea for my next novel, so I would get this one done, right?)

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I wasn't the only one.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to misinterpret numbers. Christine & Eljay, how many words do you usually write when the site is up?

However, maybe OSC keeps the site going to keep potential competition from....Never mind. <eek! conspiracy theory!>

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, 2000 words a day on my novel is my goal...other than that i do extra writing activities like research, plotting, critiquing, or on-line classes. I do short story bonuses about once a week whether the site is up or not.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was out-of-town until very recently. Last night was the first time in a while that I checked the site. Just how long was it down?

Oh, and congrats on the productivity all! I will be joining the ranks of productivity soon (whenever it is I finish moving all of my crap into the house).

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
49.53 hours. You think you were suffering from withdrawl symptoms, Christine...

Kidding! I think it was around that, though. (I'm not that badly off. (Yet.)) And I was pretty normal on production-- although I'm in the midbook right now, where for me I just kind of keep showing up and the thing keeps coming. I figure I've got under 200 pages to go before I hit the ending and start getting massively neurotic. (Is it better to love ends and beginnings and hate middles, or be like me and the other way around? I can't decide, beyond a vague feeling that I *must* be getting the worse of the deal.)

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the board, too! Yet, I still found a way to be completely unproductive...

Christine, I think that setting a daily goal for yourself like that is great! Way to go!

~L.L.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as I was making it a routine to check this place in the morning, it goes down. My whole life is now terribly out of whack.

[This message has been edited by Eric Sherman (edited May 06, 2004).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding?!?!? I was having seizures I was in such withdrawl!

Ain't all for naught, tho. I wrote 2500+ words a day for the last two days, but I'm trying to make a habit of it. My goal is 1000, but...you know...never hurts to overachieve once in a while.

I keep going like this, I might actually unearth my plot! Yay!

CVG

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a couple of assignments done for my class, finished reading my May copy of Writer's Digest, and wrote many notes for my newest story (I'll have more notes than story at the rate I'm going).

I probably should not just have writing goals, but on-line limits as well!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I was so busy I didn't know the site was down/ or be prodctive. Even though I have this great new idea i'm running on. (so it's not new but I just found the scrap I worte it on two years ago.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Between every site I visited, I came here because it might be up this time. Yeah. Like they were going to finish the maintenance at 1 am...

And I had totally kicked the habit for months. I've only been back on for a couple of weeks, and then it was taken away.

Ah, the agony.

Mary

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to count how many times I checked to see if it was up. Yikes.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Definately suffered Hatrack withdrawl. Didn't get anything phenominal done, though. That would have been nice... <sigh>
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, 2500 words on the novel isn't anything spectacular for me over a couple of days. It's not unusual for me to write that much in one day, although I probably average more like 1000 words a day. (How much time I have varies widely, based on the kids and my husband's schedule - Fridays are bad because of track practice, for example.)

Having the site down didn't make any difference in my productivity in terms of words--when I get the chance to write, I write. However, I almost certainly wouldn't have come up with the idea for the next novel if the site hadn't been down, at least not just then.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I took refuge in other sites. I started reading back issues of Holly Lisle's Vision.

But I think I checked here something like 10 times to see if it was up yet

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I ran 10 miles in the last 2 days, wrote about 1300 words, saw a play, and watched 2 movies starring John Cusack. I think I dealt with the withdrawl okay...but I suppose I could have done more writing...
Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked twice, and was playing with Pooka's kids when she checked one time and noticed that there was some midi playing on the page.

And it didn't help me be more productive, I can tell you that for certain. I totally blew off the idea of writing at all the past few days.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
The site was down?

Just kidding. I only check it first thing when I get up in the morning, five times during the day, and before I go to bed. Hmmmm. Maybe that's why Balthasar left.

Rux
;]

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
Why was the site down anyway?
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.