Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Style of writing (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Style of writing
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another hard fact you might want to consider, everyone:

Women tend to be verbal learners; men tend to be visual.

Speaking as a woman who not only excelled in math and science in high school, but also went on to study computer science in college, I can tell you something true: Men predominate sciences. In my opnion, this begets itself.

Let me explain: How are math and science taught? I'll give you a hint, it isn't verbal. Ahh, you say, but that's the nature of math and science...but is it? I've seen studies done in which women are taught separately from men in math...and you know what happens...they begin to excel! These studies are soon squashed because idiot women think it's sexist, but just enough information has poked through that I have hope, and I wish the idiots would shut up and go away so we can see more evidence.

Math and science can be taught in les visual ways...they just are't. These courses are taught by men for men. And a combination of societal and peer pressures keep women from even esriously considering these fields.

I'm not a feminist. I'm a rationalist. And the two observations I've made about this entire subject are: 1.) We can't even study it because of idiot feminists who think the whole concept is sexist when in reality a study of the differences between men and omen is far more likely to accelerate women ahead in society. 2.) Without these studies making any asertions about the differences between men and women is supposition and irrelevant.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent point, Christine. I'd add that the guys in the hard sciences, as a general trend, tend to react to females by ignoring them (at best) or, in the worst case but not unusual scenarios, by tearing them down for daring to come into a male precint. If we keep thinking of the hard sciences as a place guys tend to go towards, it's only going to stay that way. (I also think a lot of the gender stuff is related to departmental/discipline culture, given my vastly more pleasant experiences in geology, which is after all a hard science.)
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I'm in an engineering school where there's a ratio of 5:1 in favour of guys. Not that bad, you'd say. But all you have to do is look at the number of people in each field, and it gets funnier...In computer science, I believe there are seven or so girls for 160 students. Some of the other students take the approach that I'm nice to talk to about trivial subjects, but that I can't possibly be able to understand what the man at the blackboard is talking about.

And my teachers tend to have the approach: 'they're girls, so they're hopeless'. I also had a (male) teacher who picked on me routinely because I was the only girl in the group he was tutoring.
I hate that kind of attitude...

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

The guy I really loved: the college recruiter (from a shall-remain-nameless school) who told me I, as a girl, "would be way happier at a campus like ours where there's other girls around in the humanities than at one of those techy schools" when I told him I was interested in MIT as well as his school. So it's maybe true, yeah, but did he really think it'd make me more likely to go to his university?
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Did this study also talk about the other forms of learning? Like kinetic?

Sorry, I'm a visual-kinetic learner. I'm a girl. People like me are the ones that get all touchy about having classes broken into boys and girls. I agree that not everyone learns the same, but having classes that target learning styles rather than gender would even the playing field in a lot of different areas.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Mary, I totally agree. I really do. I was only suggesting that doing some research about how to improve girls' math and science scores would be useful. And one way is to try to teach these classes in a more verbal and kinesthetic manner, but also, doing so would help *boys* who were the exception to that generalization I posted above.

I, for one, am a very verbal learner. I literally went to a friend of mine after a math class one time and told him just to tell me in words what the teacher had shown us in pictures that day, and then I got it! I struggled to interpret the textbook, and only made it through sheer force of will and determination. Also, because I'm stubborn as heck and if someone tells me I can't do something I'm ten times as likely to do it!

But yes, dividing based on learning styles would be far more effective than by gender, it was just, as I said, a suggestion for how to improve the stiuation for women. I'm not the only girl I know who complained. I went ot an engineering university, completely male-dominated, and my girlfriends, generally speaking, either were exceptions to the verbal learning style for omen rule or wre just as stubborn and determined as I was. The others transferred to liberal arts schools by the end of the first year.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Christine, were my hackles showing?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the male/sciences thing is a result of Western culture. Christine's point about women being taught separately is a very good one.

I studied CS at a university (Warwick) which attracts a large percentage of far-eastern and african students, so I got to see a lot of interesting things about different cultures

The gender split was very interesting; of about 70 european students in my year, there was only 1 woman. African, the split was a little less exaggerated, I think it was probably 20 - 3 or something like that; far-eastern was even less remarkable. 40-15 or so.

Of course, I see CS as primarily linguistic in nature anyway, and consider that studying a foreign language in place of the science that would normally be recommended for future CS students at A level was a very wise choice.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that boys tend to do better in classes with no girls around, too.

But there is a problem with segregated schooling...it implies that you need segregated workplaces too. Of course, this makes perfect sense, I think that it is silly we insist on trying to get men and women to work together.

But the fact remains, this is something our society insists upon. Whether or not it should is a different issue.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, would have been miserable with segregated schooling. Right along, most of my friends were guys. If I had to choose, I tend to be a more visual learner (though choosing would be difficult; I do quite well with verbal things too).

Rather than separating people, which is only going to perpetuate prejudice in the long run, I think we'd do better to focus on making information accessible in a variety of ways. Almost everyone does better interacting with material in more than one modality.

People with different learning styles could be taught separately, but that also raises difficulties. I think the best way to handle it would be to educate teachers more fully about learning styles (and also learning disabilities--you'd never believe how ignorant most teachers are!). Of course, that demands a more ideal system of education--most teachers are also already terribly overworked.

As far as the issue of men and women not working together, I think of a Saudi student who was in my sociology of ed class in grad school. When asked about gender roles, he mentioned some of the different careers men and women pursued in his country. When asked about the possibility of a female mechanic, he said, "But where would she work? With men?" It effectively closes off a lot of options for anyone with non-stereotypical interests.

In spite of the statistical differences between males and females (and they do exist, and they do matter in the sense that it's important to know about them and address them), the fact is there's so much overlap, splitting things on a male/female basis is often not useful from a strictly learning point of view. Now, if we're talking about addressing social issues (e.g. distraction, showing off, peer pressure, etc.), splitting the sexes during early adolescence might be a very good idea. Of course, I'd favor some overall changes in our culture's attitudes instead...

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I teach engineering at the college and University level. Again this summer I will be teaching my class intended to inspire 12 and 13 year old girls to go into math, science, and engineering. This leads me to two questions:

1) Would one or more of the women here explain to me what you personally believe "verbal learner" means?

2) How in the world does this discussion keep going in the Writer's Workshops?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

As writers, we are all teachers (of a sort). So there's that.

There is also the issue of writing convincing characters of different cultures and both sexes.

And then there's the fact that we all seem to like discussing this sort of thing endlessly.

Christine
Member # 1646

Answering number one is quite a bit easier than number 2....I kind of ignored this thread for a while and when I came back (because it kept lighting up), we were talking about men and women in math and science. I can kinda see where that came from...

Anyway, verbal is spoken. Now, there is also a verbal/visual which involves the written word, and it is related, but studies have shown that combining verbal and verbal/visual modalities does not work. Basically, if you ask someone to read and listen to those words being spoken at the same time it doesn't add anything and they sort of interfere with each other. What does work, is to combine spoken words with pictures, to catch the learning styles of many people and to help make the words more meaningful. Also, in this way students are using both their occipital and temporal lobes to bring in the information, processing it in two different ways.

In math and science, in particular, the best thing is not to talk in equations. This amounts to verbalizing visual information, which does not give anyone another mode to learn it in. If you are explaining limits in Calculus, for example. Try to find a couple different ways to explain it. (Limits hung me up for the longest time because they kept talking in deltas and epsilons and I had no idea what that meant!) Explain that delta is change, but really explain it, don't gloss over the subject that is the crux of the issue (Like some Calculus teachers I knew...). Write, somewhere on the board, delta (go ahead and use the greek symbol, I'm just too lazy to go find it on my symbol thingy) = change. Tell them what kind of change you are referring to in this case, and show them how this change gets smaller and smaller. (You can and should use the graph as well, bot showing and telling always works best no matter what your learning style.)

cgamble
Member # 2009

- posted      Profile for cgamble   Email cgamble         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that the way you communicate to your audience is different that the way you create characters.

You can describe the same attributes of a character in a way that would "peak" the interest of the typical western male reader, but bore the typical western female reader. certainly there is a happy medium, which i think may be found in slightly more vague writting..

so, there really is a point to all of this..

that said, schools should be seperated by learning style, but work should not. i dont know about everyone elses jobs, but i was under the impression that doing a job meant far more regurgitation than learning -- not that learning is not involved, its just that it is rarely the goal of a job.... ..

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Survivor and Christine.

On the subject of writing: my perception is that most readers and writers of comic books and graphic novels are male. I had previously assumed the reason was related to the subject matter, but now find myself wondering if the medium itself is more appealing to the male brain than the female. Interesting.

On learning: my experience is that most girls who begin an engineering program finish it. They are able to learn the material and succeed. The problem is attracting them to the field in the first place. That is the purpose of my Engineering Summer Camp for Girls.

In my camp, I don't care if the girls learn anything or not. My goal is to help them enjoy engineering through the same sorts of hands-on activities that boys experience: they build and program robots using Legos.

I do talk to them about engineering concepts like force, torque, tension, power, friction, etc. I do this to help them realize that they are employing these concepts in the robots they design and build. Perhaps I should enhance these discussions, relying more on conversation and less on diagrams. Hmmm...

FYI in the past I have done the same class for both boys and girls. I tell them about an engineering concept (e.g. friction) and assign them a challenge (e.g. build a machine that can drive up a steep hill without sliding backwards) and give them a Lego "cookbook" of sample robot designs.

As a rule, the boys are much more creative. They will dive right in and come up with all sorts of outlandish contraptions. About 80% of the boys ignore the cookbook and come up with their own "Rube Goldberg" designs, even though a few don't work. They would rather fail than follow a recipe. I don't know why.

In contrast, the girls always follow the cookbook, and I do mean always. They never even try to invent their own designs. I don't know why.

When it comes to competition time, the girls' cookbook designs usually look and perform almost identically, the race to the top of the hill is always very close. 100% of the girls robots make it to the top, and they do it in about 60 seconds.

The boys' Rube Goldberg designs always look very different from each other, and their performance is all over the map. The bad ones fall apart or get lost halfway up the hill, and the good ones are so fast I can barely time them. Only 20% of the boys robots make it to the top, but the ones that succeed get there in 15 seconds.

I assume the difference in their approaches comes from motivation, a subject strongly related to writing, but I could not explain it. Can any of you explain it?

Why are my boys more creative but less successful than my girls?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Possible answer to question 2:

As long as it doesn't turn into a flame war, I am willing to let this discussion go on.

As Survivor said, writers are teachers in a way.

Even more important, consider the fact that characterization is crucial to good story telling, and anything that can help writers of one sex better understand people of the opposite sex is worth exploring. After all, roughly half the people in the world are of the opposite sex. The better you understand them, how they learn, how they think, the better you may be able to communicate with them in your writing, and the better you may be able to characterize them in your stories.

Besides, I think it's interesting. <shrug>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Males and females have fundamentally different reproductive strategies, and that probably affects a lot of their innate psychology.

A biologically successful male human could potentially sire tens of thousands of children, a moderately unsuccessful male might sire none at all (a totally usuccessful male will manage to kill off his entire genomic clan in the process of being totally unsuccessful).

With females, on the other hand, the most biologically successful can't bear much more than twenty children, no matter what, and the least successful are fairly likely to bear at least a couple.

Of course, this is an extreme way of looking at the problem (and as such is inherently flawed in a number of important ways), but it does shed light on the issue of creativity v. certainty in male and female behavior. Human males have a reproductive strategy that is inherently more like that of insects or viruses (no moral comparison intended, insects are very good and viruses...well, I'm sure they do something or other). Females follow what we think of as the typical mammalian pattern, few offspring carefully nurtured. From a biological standpoint, males stand to benefit from huge payoffs by being creative. Females don't stand to gain as much from their own creativity (though they can gain considerable ground through their sons).

In point of fact, females not only stand to gain very little from their own creativity, they stand to lose a great deal if their daughters are too creative...which brings up something quite interesting.

Men and women are both biologically programmed to encourage their grandsons to push the limits while discouraging their granddaughters from stepping off the established path. But I've gone over this before.

Over the long term, there is absolutely nothing to be done about this tendency. You can fight it using cultural tools, but the fact remains that women that behave like men don't reproduce all that well...and neither do men that accept such behavior in their mates. Even if you don't accept that the genetics matter, the nurturing does, the grandparents that didn't encourage boys to be boys and girls to be girls will have few grandchildren to continue their value system.

The only solution is....

Gen
Member # 1868

In addition to the cad strategy you outlined, Survivor, there's also the dad strategy (leading to the cad-dad breakdown people use to analyze everything from their dating life to classic literature). The cad is the player you mentioned; the dad is the nice guy who sticks around to see the kids raised healthy and successful and make *sure* they're his, as well as to get the initial mating opportunity. Which explains why men tend to be more upset about sexual infidelity, while women tend to be upset about emotional infidelity (since women need the additional child resources men provide).*

Additionally, I would say that reproductive strategies probably should not have a large impact on fields and subjects that didn't exist a thousand years ago, and part of the woman's role is culturally determined rather than genetically. (Eg, in India, people who fight for environmental justice are almost entirely female, while here we see a split. In France the top chefs are male, and respected for it.)

Has anyone else here read Sherri S. Tepper's _The Gate to Women's County_?

*From psych studies. Not talking from, you know, things I suspect. All from social psych.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.