Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » literary boot camp - a request

Author Topic: literary boot camp - a request
disgust
Member # 2016

- posted      Profile for disgust           Edit/Delete Post 
is there any way that the "old" literary boot camps could be opened up so all members could view them?

if the current ones can't be opened to us, I can understand that completely, but having the old ones available would be really great.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you talking about the private alumni forums? The ones for boot camp 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004? They can't be opened up because they are private forums specifically intended so that old classmates can continue to keep up and share. Maybe I don't understand what you are asking.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
disgust
Member # 2016

- posted      Profile for disgust           Edit/Delete Post 
oh, then I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the forums- I thought they were "dated" and they just stayed around for archive purposes. I didn't realize they were still active.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There is this theory that whenever a group of people (or even just two people) go through an experience together, they develop a sense of community with each other.

Since Literary Boot Camp is a particularly challenging experience (hence the name), those who have gone through it together have the Boot Camp forums to enable them to keep up the community they have formed.

We have a bit of a community here in the open forums as well, it's just looser and not based on a challenging experience (at least, not any more challenging than trying to write stories that might actually sell someday).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for Tracy   Email Tracy         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me where the information about the Literary Bootcamp is? I'm new to the forums, and would be interested in taking part of one in the future.
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of good information on this thread: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000946.html
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is this theory that whenever a group of people (or even just two people) go through an experience together, they develop a sense of community with each other.

I've been through bootcamp and more and I'd have to that it's not a theory, it's more of a fact.

I also agree that we are a community here and that in some way we care about each other. If you doubt me, read the posts for Balthasar's goodbye. Both of them. :}

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone is interested, the story I submitted one to get accepted to Boot Camp back in 2001 was published at Abyss and Apex last fall, and can still be viewed for free at www.abyssandapex.com/archives/guiltthing.html
The one page sample I submitted ended somewhere around the line, "Yesterday, he'd forgotten the milk again."

Future potential Boot Campers may find it useful to at least read the start of the story, for an example of writing that made the cut in the past.

--James Maxey

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that is a good idea James. Anyone else who has published their submission should list it too. That should provide a pretty decent example of what is being looked for.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.