Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Water, ... I need water

Author Topic: Water, ... I need water
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I need some technical brilliance here. Does anyone know of a good way (in theory or practice) that a lunar settlement could manufacture water? If anyone could help I would be most grateful.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an article here:

http://www.asi.org/adb/04/03/10/04/oxygen-extraction.html

It describes in detail how oxygen can be extracted from lunar rocks. Note that an intermediate stage of this process involves the production of water...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
There is already a large supply of water that has been deposited on the moon via comet impacts (atleast, the method of deposition is theorized). This water has been preserved in impact craters where sunlight doesn't hit it -- typically towards the poles, I believe.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be many years out of date on this, but at one time I learned that what the Moon lacks is hydrogen. (Note that in that article, one of the steps is "add hydrogen" which is not obtained from the moon rocks.) The discovery of water ice at the Moon's poles was therefore really a big deal. There's just loads of oxygen up there. But, unless they've changed their mind about this since I was in college, the only source of hydrogen on the Moon is in the water ice, which means that making water there, if there isn't enough ice available for the purposes of your story, just ain't possible (other than by shipping in the hydrogen for it, which would be lots cheaper than shipping in the water).

If the scientists have decided that my information is out of date, somebody please let me know.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
According to this article by Geoffrey Landis, the surface soil of the moon contains some hydrogen deposited by the solar wind. (And the solar wind is constantly adding more, while some of it is leaking off into space.) It's at a low concentration, but it could be realeased fairly easily.

http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/moonair.html

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, putting a moonbase near the water ice deposits in craters at the poles and mining the water would probably be more efficient.

If there's enough space travel going on in the solar system, you could probably ship in water ice from Saturn's rings as needed.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Neat article.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, the water needs of any entirely sealed environment are going to be very limited. All the water ends up being recycled with virtually zero loss. Once you have the initial water supply, you only ever need more if you want to expand the colony.

Also keep in mind that burning any material that contains hydrogen creates water vapor as a by-product. Rockets burn hydrogen and LOX because that combination has the best ratio of thrust to mass. So unless you're using nuclear powered rockets, you'll be shipping quite a bit of hydrogen to your colony anyway (probably from somewhere other than Earth, though).

And the quantity of ice in a very small lunar glacier would be more than sufficient to sustain a surprisingly large colony (alliteration, always an alluring alternative).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Or put your settlement on Titan, one of Jupiter's moons, it is almost compleatly water.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the responses. I am sure my science class will love some of your relies. I knew you would be the right people to ask.

Once again, thank you!!

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.