Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » headlines

Author Topic: headlines
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I am writing a short story that has a large time gap. I want to show the passage of time, as well as the relevant information from those years, through a series of newspaper headlines. Does anyone have any idea how to present this? Fonts, formatting instructions, anything you know would be helpful.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, cool idea. I don't have any advice or ideas to help you, but cool idea.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you block it off and make it italic. But you would have to put them throughout the story if you want to make it acceptable. Otherwise you would have to spell out the fact that the special section that spans time is actually newpaper headings, not wild ramblings of a madman....or something...

Anyways, it is a cool idea. Maybe put a newpaper name at the top, and the date. It should work.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad it's not a movie and you could do the spinning newspaper scene.
You could have your char going through Microphish(sp) or cleaning up a pile of newspapers and reading them. BUt I can't tell you since I've never tried anything like that.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

- posted      Profile for Mind Surfer           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could write a small piece of the article to include with the headlines. Another thing you might be able to do is to quote one line or two lines from the article/headline. For example,

quote:
"The day the world almost ended started when..." -Christine Small, Hatrack Times

So you could use the format of "Lines in article" -author, newspaper. Or something like this.

That is a great idea. I'm curious to know how you do it.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a bad idea, but I want to include the dat as well, because these articles will span 20 years. (I've got thea rticles I want to use listed out with titles and dates,it wouldn't be anything to make up authors and quotes.) I'll give that some thought.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
I would write them out simply, similar to the way Frank Herbert uses excerpts from 'books' in Dune.

Example:

Recent reasearch has proved that small, furry creatures from Alpha Centauri have no use for conditioner in their hair.
- The Daily Blah, 2034 (or something like, Associated Press Syndicate, or whatever fits)

Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric's gets my vote. I've seen that before in a book or two somewhere.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's how I would do it...

May 11, 2099
ALIENS SHIP CRASHES TO EARTH
(reprinted with permission of the Galaxy Gazette)

NEW YORK- Onlookers in Times Squares were shocked early Saturday...

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited May 11, 2004).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Love that 'reprinted with permission' line.

Reminds me of Foundation, which (IIRC, loaned my copy to a friend who's had it for, like, two years or something) has a footnote on page 1 that reads something like "All excerpts from the Encyclopaedia Galactica are from the seventeenth edition and are reprinted with the kind permission of Terminus Publishing" or something like that.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually got that from my best friend, Matt. The main character in one of his stories had a newpaper column, and even though story was told in 3rd person, every few chapters would be preluded by an column.

Just thought I should give credit where credit is due...

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for Tracy   Email Tracy         Edit/Delete Post 
You could use John's idea and have the newspaper headlines listed one after another, like separate paragraphs, offset in their own section. By putting them in their own section, you will let the reader know that it is not part of the regular POV, and is significant. The dates will indicate the passage of time, so you shouldn't need any further explanation.
Word of warning though, make sure the headlines are interesting. When you create a new section, you are going to be breaking the reader's momentum and involvement, and you want to make sure what you say can recapture it.

I guess I'm thinking it could look something like this ...

... and the last thing Bernard saw was the lid closing on the chamber. Icy vapors poured through the holes in the ceiling and floor, surrounding his body and immersing him in utter blackness.

US Government Denies Knowledge of Virus ~ Washington Post, May 19, 2012
Midwest Town Devastated by Sudden Disease ~ New York Times, August 15, 2017
Mass Grave of 20 Thousand Uncovered in Mojave Desert ~ Washington Post, March 6, 2018
Victory! Last US Official Executed on White House Lawn ~ People's Voice, December 25, 2020

Nausea surged though Bernards naked body, as his senses returned. The last thing he remembered was the cryo gas entering the chamber ...

Tracy

[This message has been edited by Tracy (edited May 18, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Tracy (edited May 18, 2004).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.