Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Can I fix a typo manually?

Author Topic: Can I fix a typo manually?
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
AUGH!

Ok, after taking my manuscript to be printed out (which required going to Kinko's where the equipment was broken, and then Staples, while unpacking and packing the twins and their stuff, with one awake, one asleep, then the reverse), and doing a final check, I found one typo - "U"ncle instead of "u"ncle (the name does not follow).

So I went through our post office's drive-thru, got postage but did not send my manuscript.

Can I fix that typo manually, and if so what is the proper method? I found one on the SFWA site, but the article in which it was mentioned seemed old.

I don't want to have to take the circus out again to reprint one page, when they will charge another service fee (they told me .07 cents per page, but didn't tell me about the 2.49 fee just to have the printing done at all), and then of course I'll have to change the date of my letter and reprint that too.

Will one tiny fix mark me as unprofessional? If I must I will get the page redone, but I'm hoping you have a better answer for me!(Can you tell I never chose a printer - now I'm regretting it as my current printer is even printing in draft mode with streaks).

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd reprint it iff it's in the first ten or so pages, or correct it manually otherwise. If the editor's got beyond the first ten pages, they're probably starting to read the story, rather than looking for quick & easy ways to reject it.

Or you could ignore it; if you don't draw attention to it there's a chance nobody'll notice. It's not like this manuscript is going directly to the typesetters.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm asuming this is a novel?

If it was my home printer I'd jsut reprint the page, but you don't have that option.

I think I agree with Jules on this one. If it's not in the first ten pages or so, forget it. One accidental capitalization will not kill your chances if they get past the first copule of chapters. They might not even notice, and I think even if they did it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Here is the simple truth: That "U" is not your only mistake. It just is not. The only difference between this and the others it that you noticed it prior to sending and now it's gnawing at you. Forget it. Definitely do not try to handwrite anything into your manuscript...that would be unprofessional and frankly, they will not understand. It is so easy to reprint a page, aftera ll. (I know, you had broken equpment and took it to kinkos...but that's unusual.)

Just my opinion, of course.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited May 17, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a short story, and the typo (ok, they typo I found!) is on page 21.

I appreciate the quick replies! My husband just replied too - we have a friend who might have a laser printer and we'll see if she's around and can print a corrected page (of course, the paper I have is a little brighter than the paper Staples printed on - but I know obsessing on the writing is more important - just don't want them to have any excuse to dump my story quickly). I hate to leave a typo in, but I understand the reasoning you both have given.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.49 printing fee? Since when? That's outrageous! I guess it's been awhile since I've gone there. But even if they insist on it for an order over a certain number of pages, I'd think a page or two wouldn't have a fee at all. Puna, you might want to check with the manager and give him your hard luck story -- and make sure you have the twins with you when you do it.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'd vote to fix it if you can without driving youself crazy, if only because you're going to agonize over it if you don't, especially if this is your first submission. Plus, who wants to send out work you know isn't as good as it can be right now. And certainly get that manuscript sent back, if it's so much trouble to get a print out! But like Christine said, it probably isn't the only typo, and since its buried back on page 21, there is an excellent chance that the slush reader won't even get that far before they stuff it back into the envelop. (Hopefully that isn't what will happen because you submission is that good, but it seems for most somewhere between page 1 and 5 get read. The major magazine's slush readers admit that themselves quite openly.)

You'll have to weigh which is more important to you.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited May 17, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd get the page reprinted if it was a short story or a novel. Period. No questions asked. I realize that I don't have to drive to Kinko's with twins, but if I noticed the mistake, an editor will. I know they'll allow a few mistakes, but I don't want that mistake to be a few + 1.

Rux
:}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Answer your question, I'm with Christine. Don't fix it manually.

Answer your dilemna, if you aren't making a living doing this, then don't agonize over it. Heck, even if you are making a living doing this, don't agonize over it.

Unless you are making a living as a freelance copyeditor/agent of some kind, and this is some other poor slob's manuscript that you are submitting. If that's the case, then get your own printer, now.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Um, in answer, I finally gave up . . .

My new laser printer is currently on the FedEx truck for delivery! Actually, it was supposed to come yesterday, and I stayed home waiting, and waiting, but at least worked on two other stories so the time wasn't wasted. I don't want to meet up with any cicadas anyway.

I don't know anyone who can make a living with short stories, and I don't plan to. I have helped others, but this is my own manuscript.

I know having a proper printer doesn't make me a writer, but at least it will save my time for the important stuff. Like studying the theories of the universe, and bending them to my will mwah ah ah And oh yeah, writing.

Thanks all!

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, cicadas.

I'll tell you who you don't want to meet, you don't want to meet the people that are planning to take full advantage of this rich manifestation of nature's bounty by feeding their family for the coming months primarily on the tasty flesh of giant bugs.

Oh, think that you're not likely to encounter such individuals? Think again, my young apprentice.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Survivor - you are so right - they have been on TELEVISION, touting recipes like they were preparing for Iron Chef, knowing the main ingredient in advance. I can't even watch them - I believe "grossing me out" would be the technical term.

Of course, I like escargot with plenty of garlic butter, so who am I to talk?

I was going to add how much I love my new laser printer (once I convinced FedEx I was HERE), but now it is pulling multiple pages through, and of course that is a topic not discussed in the user guide, which means taking time to go to the website... Other than that I am loving the new laser printer! I reprinted pages, got my package set, sealed it, then remembered I forgot to change the word count. Thank goodness I had bought pull & seal envelopes (since I already put the postage on the envelope) - so I was able to replace the page.

Actually, that might be good for another thread - how to do word counts. Apparently some formula is used (I did find two versions of it), but I don't sense I have to use it and that it's ok to use my wordprocessor's word count, though they, the publisher, won't use it.

So I'm mailing today - then I'll try not to think about it

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited May 22, 2004).]

Jules
Member # 1658

It's not an HP LaserJet 6 is it? If so, there's a known problem with them feeding multiple sheets, and you can order a kit off HP's web site to fix it.
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Thanks Jules! No, I bought the Brother HL-5140, which is like the 1440 which a couple people recommended. I'll check the Brother site to see what it says. The printer stopped sucking up two pages at a time - I refanned the paper, and did check to make sure the paper I was using wasn't problematic for the machine.
Jules
Member # 1658

Those LaserJets, after two or three years of use, starting pulling about 5 to 10 pages through at once, which gets jammed half way through. I was pulling my hair out until I found the solution to it. Other than that one problem, I've found it a great printer. Very cheap to run.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.