Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Can Life Exist on Mars?

Author Topic: Can Life Exist on Mars?
Tracy
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for Tracy   Email Tracy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a short story and I need it to be placed on Mars, after Mar's has been terraformed, in a large city. Even though I am not going to go into the science behind settling the planet, I still need to lead the reader to believe it's plausible. I've included a long enough time line to adress the atmosphere creation element, but, in doing my research, I realized the gravity on Mar's is 1/3 of Earth's. I've thought about the possibility of claiming the planet's density was increased using heavy metals found on one of its moons, but that will put a serious snag in another aspect of the backstory. I need to know if I should even worry about the gravity issue, or can I reasonably expect my reader to take the leap of faith?

Thanks.
Tracy

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've thought about the possibility of claiming the planet's density was increased using heavy metals found on one of its moons,

No. That's not a possible solution at all. Forget you even thought of it.

The low gravity does not make Mars uninhabitable. There are a few effects that you would need to take into account, though.

Things would fall more slowly.

People's muscles would probably be under-developed, and that could lead to some health problems.

People brought up on Mars would probably have great difficulty if they ever tried to visit Earth.

You'd have to think through the implications of lower gravity, but there is nothing inherently unbelievable about people living in 1/3 gravity.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited May 18, 2004).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy
Member # 2015

Fortunately, I've already considered most of those issues and they do not pose a problem with the story. The biggest issue was the 1/3 gravity and wether or not life from earth would be viable at all. The "moon" solution was the only thing I could think of, other than somehow speeding up the planets rotation, which just brought cartoon imagines of giant rocket engines afixed to the side of the planet to my mind.

Kathleen, do you agree that 1/3 gravity is not really something I need to solve, other than adressing its effects.

Tracy

Tracy
Member # 2015

Sorry, Eric, I just read my response and it sounds like I'm asking for another opinion, and somehow discounting yours. I'm not. I just wanted a second opinion, and Kathleen, being the moderator, seemed like a good person to ask.

My first instincts were that 1/3 gravity wasn't a barrier to the planet sustaining life, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a case of the reader going "as if" and closing the book.

Tracy

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure someone will give you a second opinion.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited May 18, 2004).]

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
There are certainly a lot of S.F. authors who are thorough in their research who believe that terraforming Mars is a viable process. I'll bow to their expertise in this matter.

There's a site here with some articles about the subject, from the perspective of health effects on short-term visitors to Mars (under the Mars Direct mission plan, where I believe they'd spend about a year on Mars):

http://www.marsgravity.org/

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
other than somehow speeding up the planets rotation, which just brought cartoon imagines of giant rocket engines afixed to the side of the planet to my mind.

Well, this wouldn't improve things-- the reason rotating a space station creates the feeling of gravity is because the people are standing on the outer rim, their heads pointing towards the center, so the centrifugal force feels like gravity. On a planet they'd be standing the other way around, so it would actually decrease the apparent gravity. (Also, planets are BIG and full of intertia, and BIG rockets are hard to come by.)

I think you'll do fine with people living on Mars-- Kim Stanley Robinson (Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars) had Mars terraformed to life, and he's known for hard SF. If you're concerned about Earth species, you can always wave the useful sf wand of genetic engineering for harsh conditions. And as Eric said, take the effects of 1/3 g seriously, as well as the other effects of living there. Eg: Phobos and Deimos are really small, and one (I forget which) is far enough away that it would really look more like a point/star/planet than like our moon.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that has been done so many times before that I'm sure you can use others' stories as models.

Eric--

quote:
People's muscles would probably be under-developed, and that could lead to some health problems.

I never thought about this....you're right, but also consider something I've read as a possibility in some scifi books...that there is less pressure on the heart, thereby increasing lifespands and improving health.

Of course, either way their SOL if they go baadk to earth.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe there would be a problem terraforming Mars, if you could get a breathable atmosphere on it. You would probably need a heavier CO2 mix than what we have on Earth, so the greenhouse effect would warm it up enough. (The polar caps are mostly CO2, so this shouldn't be a big deal.)

My guess about why it doesn't have an atmosphere now, is that the core of Mars has cooled(It's still liquid, just not as hot as it used to be). The last volcanic eruption was between 20 and 200 million years ago. Volcanoes pump out huge amounts of gases, refilling the atmosphere. The gravity on Mars is to weak to hold those gases forever, so over a long period of time the atmosphere leaks into space. (The same thing happens in Earth's atmosphere with hydrogen, which is light enough to escape our gravity.)

Taking all that into account, you just need to come up with a system to constantly replenish the necessary gases. Sure, they'll still be leaking out into space, but not so fast as to alarm the inhabitants.

The biggest issue I see it actually terraforming it in the first place, once you do, it shouldn't be too hard to maintain.

You would probably need gas mining operations. They could dig up rocks (like carbonates) that would be processed to release CO2. Once you have the CO2, plants can convert it to oxygen. Take a look at this article:

http://www.biotech-info.net/metabolically.html

The rice that he's describing would give a high O2 yield from the atmospheric CO2 during photosynthesis. And, as a bonus, it is a food crop to feed your hungry colonists.

I hope this helped.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tracy,

When I read your post, I assumed your major issue with gravity is that it is insufficient to hold gases like nitrogen and oxygen, which is why the Martian atmosphere is made of heavier gases like CO2, which its gravity can capture and hold. There are many stories with domed cities/enclosed living environments on Mars. You said you have adressed O2 creation (assume you figured out water too), and I'm thinking maybe you didn't want to have domes/enclosed living environments (thus your terraforming). If you speed up the rotation, you will lose the gravitational effect and just fling your atmosphere into space (back to Gen's comment)!

So if you want to avoid domes and have a breathable atmosphere, perhaps gravity is your issue after all. Which brings up another issue - unprotected humans would suffer from pressure issues too. That takes us back to the idea of pressurized suits and protected living spaces, in which case your breathable atmosphere is inside... now the issues are those which Eric brought up. Of course, with proper gravity to hold the atmosphere, you'd probably solve your pressure issues...

Which brings us to the biggest question - why Mars (you said you needed your story to be placed on Mars)? Can you take advantage of how Mars is different from Earth for your story, or must you make it like Earth? Specialized living arrangements might be your simplest solution.

Or, have you read Robinson's Mars trilogy? Apparently it explains what it takes to terraform Mars so you can walk around on it - maybe that would help! You can wave your hand, assume we have developed certain technology, and just plant your people and story there... just make sure the reason your story is THERE instead of somewhere else makes sense!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The gravity on Mars is to weak to hold those gases forever, so over a long period of time the atmosphere leaks into space. (The same thing happens in Earth's atmosphere with hydrogen, which is light enough to escape our gravity.)

Okay, dumb questions. Where do the leaked gases go? Would spaceships be able to detect these gases in space either near or far from the planets?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where do the leaked gases go? Would spaceships be able to detect these gases in space either near or far from the planets?

The gases just diffuse into space. Space isn't really a vacuum, but it is very, very empty matter-wise. The most common thing floating around out there is hydrogen. (The Bussard ramjet is a theoretical engine that makes use of the free floating hydrogen for fuel. Link: http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/I/interstellar_ramjet.html )

You would probably need extremely sensitive equipment on your spaceship to detect a difference in the matter content in space relative to the distance from planets, but it should be possible.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting subject. Interesting discussion. You are right to back off the increase in Mars' density. Her two moons, Phobos and Deimos, are among the solar system's smallest moons (more accruately, they are probably captured asteroids). This being the case, I don't think you could plausibly change the density of the planet enough to effect gravity all that much, even if you added the entire masses of both moons to their mother planet. Have you thought about exploring Io, or another of Jupiter's moons for your settlement? I understand at least two of them are fairly similar in size and structure to earth.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

quote:
that there is less pressure on the heart, thereby increasing lifespands and improving health

Good point. The health effects of lower gravity are not all bad.

Regarding escape of atmospheric gasses: If the terraforming technology is sufficient to build a breathable atmosphere, presumably it is advanced enough to continue generating atmosphere at a low level to make up for the slow loss.

Tracy
Member # 2015

Thanks, Everyone,

It seems the general consensus is that, while I do need to consider the long term effects of a lower gravity planet, the gravity in itself is not a barrier to the idea of life on the planet. The reason for Mars is it's distance to Earth, the idea being that Earth has colonized Mars as an overflow planet for the increasing population. Note, Earth DOES NOT plan on relocating her entire population there, not by a long shot. Earth just wants somewhere to put the extra people so Earth does not become uninhabitable. The actual story takes place a couple of hundred years after the settlement was created, with the ecosystem well established, at least in this area of the planet.

Tracy

James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
The real barrier to terraforming Mars isn't gravity but magnetism. Mars has no magnetic field to shield its atmosphere from the solar winds. It's the solar winds that snatch away the lighter elements in the atmosphere. Even if you pumped an atmosphere onto the planet, it would get carried away over time.

One solution is to terraform under domes--but this isn't really a way to change the whole planet, just little parts of it.

One other solution is to just ignore the problems of terraforming and say you've done it anyway. Most SF readers will buy the simple assertion, just as they accept FTL travel and humanoid aliens. This isn't weakmindedness on the part of the readers, it's just that most people will accept a big lie to have the opportunity to enjoy the small ones.

--James

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
James, you rascal, you posted while I was writing my reply! Here it is anyway:

Just as one more confirmation, 1/3 gravity is no problem at all for colonization. I think that all of everybody's comments on that subject were correct. (For what it's worth, the Moon's gravity is only 1/6, and there've been lots of scientifically accurate stories about colonization there.)

A point about the atmosphere, however: the biggest factor in the loss of Mars's atmosphere is not its low gravity (that's a factor, but if Earth's gravity was reduced to 1/3, it would still keep most of its atmosphere for a very long time). The additional factor is that Mars has no magnetic field to protect it from the solar wind, so that its atmosphere is literally blown away. This doesn't mean it would happen overnight, but it does mean that replacement atmosphere would have to be provided at a greater rate than otherwise.

The other aspect of this is that colonists in the open on Mars would receive a much higher dose of radiation than on Earth. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how much more, or what measures would be sufficient to protect from it. Does anybody else know, or know of a site link that might have the information?

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited May 18, 2004).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

I just did a little reading on Mars' magnetic field, and apparently it has one that is stronger than scientists expected (but only about 10% of Earth's.) The theory is that it emanates from the crust, and is the legacy of a stronger field that was generated long ago by the rotation of the planet's core. (Kind of like a nail remaining magnetized after being rubbed with a magnet.)

Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Earth's planetary magnetism is provided by the dynamic core. Lots and lots of hot iron and swirling and fueling the magnetic FIEld and the plate tectonics, and the geodynamo, mmmhey, and the paleoMAGnetism (okay, dropping the professor Frink act. That's hard to do in text).

From what I've read, it looks like the Martian magnetic field is pretty much from the remnant paleomagnetic bits from the old field-- once rock goes above the Curie point heatwise, it resets to the prevailing magnetic field, and stays that way. It's one of the things used for reconstructions of paleocontinents. Nice article about how these work on Mars here, although I haven't read anything about it since the recent stuff.

Nice pix of the paleomagnetic stripes on Mars here. Earth's got them too, of course-- it was a major piece of evidence for plate tectonics, and it's probably pointing the same way on Mars, although the planetary dynamo and the plate motions there are dead nowadays. Meaning no geologic carbon cycle over the long term, even after terraforming....

Was it ten percent of Earth's average field, Eric, or ten percent of the current field? We're a little bit higher than average right now, and we go through zero with polarity reversals, which biological life has lived through (although not electronics).

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
So from what I gleaned from the responses is the key to mars is the core. turn your BIG rockets internally and hold on tight. (of course that would blow up the planet, but I'm sure there is another way.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great discussion. It's cause me to worry about something I never worried about before.

Everyone knows that a comet develops a tail when it enters the inner solar system because the "solar wind" pushes gas and dust from the comet's surface. But I never stopped to wonder why inner solar system planets like Venus, Earth, and Mars don't have tails. Until now.

Based on this discussion, Earth doesn't have an appreciable tail because its magnetic field deflects so much of the "solar wind" by a tiny bit. Mars probably used to have a tail, but with no magnetic field to protect it, the solar wind has blown off all it can and now the tail is gone.

But if this is the case, why doesn't Venus have a tail? Venus has lots of atmosphere, light gravity, and hardly any magnetic field. Or am I wrong about one of these admittedly top-of-my-head recollections about the second planet?

I think I'll go ask an astronomer.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
As comets approach the sun, they start to boil away. If there were no solar wind, they'd still get pretty big looking and would develop a large coma. Mars has sufficient gravity that it would never have developed a visible tail. Venus has atmospheric components much heavier than Earth's, which is why they don't get blown away easily. Also Venus's gravity is like Earth's instead of like Mars's.

My question is, what actually makes the tail visible? Actually, there are two tails, the gas tail and the dust tail. The dust tail is dimmer. The gas tail is brighter. What makes the gas tail so bright? Obviously most gases are pretty transparent. I think that maybe the gas in the tail gets ionized by the sunlight, but I'm not sure.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited May 22, 2004).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Fluctuations in density cause refraction. Also, a fair amount of the gas tail is actually ice still in the process of melting (or sublimating, whatever).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.