Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Quotes in posts

Author Topic: Quotes in posts
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I'm ignorant. Someone please educate me.

How does one separate a quoted segment as seen in Jules's post on MaryRobinette's post titled "Punctuation Question?" (It's the fourth or fifth post down)

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
See the instructions here:
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/ubbcode.html

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Eric!
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, I had to go looking to remember how to do that. It turns out that when you are posting, there's a link to the left of the text box that says "UBB Code is ON". If you click that it takes you to the same page Eric mentioned with instructions of other cool things.

Also in the category of "it took me too long to realize" is that there's a window at the bottom of the post screen that shows the topic that's being discussed. Handy for grabbing and quoting things.

Mary

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
UnheardOf
Member # 2022

- posted      Profile for UnheardOf           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey....! There is a frame down there for the current topic. And I've been opening up new windows all this time. Thanks, Mary!
Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny how useful an inadvertant slip of the mouse wheel can be.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we even had an entire thread devoted to the discovery of this very same phenomenon

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
so history repeats itself. again and agian and aigan.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It baffles me that this could be a thing that people "discover"
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Hey, people "discovered" America and it occupies a lot more space (and was inhabited) than the "UBB Code is ON" button. When I "discovered" it, I knew quoting was possible, but it took me a while to figure out the right search to find the instructions to do it.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is America so cold?
Because Columbus discovered it!

Umm, I guess it works better in original Italian, because the verb scoprire means both discover and uncover.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, the point is that for something to be "discovered" it had to previously have been unknown. I once thought that knowledge of where to find the UBB codes was implicit in being able to use a computer. Though I know know that this is not true, it still puzzles me how it could be untrue.
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't get about this site is that when I use it at home, I get little red icons on the posts that have been updated since I was here last, but when I use it from the office, I don't.

Ah well.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Probably the office network has cookies disabled. The site needs to use a cookie to know when you last visited.
Jules
Member # 1658

It knows who I am without me needing to log back in (which doesn't work when I'm at home), so I wouldn't have thought there was a problem with that. Oh well, I'll live with it, I guess.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Hatrack River Writers Workshop main page

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/Ultimate.cgi

above the links to Open Discussions about Writing, and so on, there is a link that says

"Click Here To View Today's Active Topics (all public forums)"

and you can use it to catch up on each today's discussion (though I'm not sure how it decides when today started).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Jules, that behavior isn't cookie based. I think it is resident in the registry entries for your browser or something like that.
Jules
Member # 1658

Quick check... no, apparently I have 'Username' and 'Password' cookies from this site here in the office, but nothing else. Will check what I have at home later
Survivor
Member # 213

Huh...I don't have any cookies from this site right now. That's odd.
JaimeJack
Member # 8986

- posted      Profile for JaimeJack   Email JaimeJack         Edit/Delete Post 
how in the world can i get into the workshop?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jaime this is it so you're already in. The fragments and feedback section is were more work gets done. Try looking in the read here first section for more information.

Oh and thanks for pulling up a list of old friends I hadn't thought about in a while.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.