Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Vampires: What Gives???

Author Topic: Vampires: What Gives???
UnheardOf
Member # 2022

- posted      Profile for UnheardOf           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard once that more movies have been made about vampires than any other subject. While that may be perfectly untrue (can't remember the source), it is apparent that a lot of people really like vampires. My question is: WHY?

I think they are evil and creepy. They suck blood for goodness sake! I am at a loss to see their appeal. I could never deal with them long enough to write anything about them. The only idea I ever had was having vampire living in the Arctic and running a blood bank--idiotic.

Do you like vampires and if so, can you explain why?

[This message has been edited by UnheardOf (edited May 18, 2004).]

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think vampires are popular because once you get past the whole evil and undead thing, they have the reputation of being witty, charming, romantic, good dressers, sexy, etc.

Zombies, mummies and werewolves don't have that kind of reputation.

Ghosts may have some of those qualities, but their lack of bodies hinders them in the romantic arena.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I don't understand the vampire fetishes in this country myself, but I do believe the stat that they are the subject of a great many movies.

I agree with ERic...charming, witty, and many people (women, as far as I can tell) find them sexy. There is an entire erotic magazine devoted to vampires. (I found it searching for something else....I PROMSIE! )

I, personally, dont' see the attraction, but I think that from an academix point of view, I might be able to try to explain. There is a thrill of excitement when it comes to toying with evildoers, especially suave and sophisticated evildoiers. Vampires are almost human and were human at one pint, so we can relate to them. They are only trying to survive, after all.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, immortality is a subject that can hold people's interest time & time again. Plus it makes the stories of individual vampires more interesting, because they can live through several distinct historical periods.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
UnheardOf
Member # 2022

- posted      Profile for UnheardOf           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vampires are almost human and were human at one pint

rofl
Don't know if you were being punny or if that was a Freudian typo--but it's the funniest thing I've read/heard all day!!

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Glad I could amuse you.
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem to be the sex appeal thing that appeals. Describing the act of sucking blood is a way of having something extremely sexual happening on stage/in print/in film without actually depicting sex.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think they are evil and creepy.

It seems to me that you have answered your own question.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read any vampire books, but have read short stories where they were were used. From what I've read, I would say the human and sexual aspects are hooks into the stories.

The only thing I remember liking was the movie "Love at First Bite" with George Hamilton - it is not creepy - he is looking for a female companion, and there are comedic hijinks involved! The biting is definitely sexual there, though low key.

Of course, the only Frankenstein stuff I've read/watched is Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein" with Gene Wilder. So I guess I like these things when they are funny and tongue-in-cheek portrayals.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that it was because they make easy protaganists. They already have the tragic character flaw and internal conflict built in.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I love vampires, I even thought I was one in my youth. (of course it was just a game and I didn't bite anyone.) And I'm about to watch the finale of my favorite show Angel.
I think they make very good chars, an inner conflict between who they used to be and who they are. the immortality at a price. and an increadible fashion sense.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Pyre, pretty good finale, wasn't it?

I am also a fan of the fanged. I think everyone here's already captured the reasons for their popularity: built-in angst, great wardrobes, sexy as all get-out, seen it all, done it all attitudes to go with the immortality.

I'd also add that they are often written as having similar qualities as superheroes (especially these days) -- incredibly strong, nearly unkillable, inhumanly fast, some have psychic abilities, etc. When written as dark heroes (like Angel) they're even more appealing.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Angel finale was pretty good.

The best TV show about vampires, though, was Buffy.

In fact, as far as I'm concerned, Buffy was the best TV show. Period.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm actually becomming a quick fan of Smallville, which I ignored for the first two seasons and now never miss an episode of. I thought it would be terrible, but I love the story of a teenager learning to deal with special powers far more than I enjoyed the superficial adult who stood for, "Truth, Justice, and the American Way." Whatever that was.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a wonderful finale, the whole next day I was writing in my head what came next. I think that would make a good movie cap to the Buffy/Angel story. (I consider Buffy and Angel the same show, it was the same story and interveined often. Even though I don't like Buffy (the Char).)
They've set the stage for a great war, the bowels of hell vs. the army's of good.
"Well I kinda want to slay the dragon." Angel

Jules
Member # 1658

Angel is a much better character than Buffy, IMO. Some of the later series developed Buffy into a more interesting character than the early ones, but still Angel came out on top, I think.

I still prefer Firefly.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that a show has crossed the line between good and not so good when I start rooting for a superpowerful bad guy (modeled on yours truly) to show up and totally destroy (or subjugate) all the "good" guys.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

I thought the characters that crossed over to Angel from Buffy were better-developed on the latter show. Compare Wesley, Cordelia, Spike, Harmony, and even Willow and Faith in guest appearances. They were much cooler in the Angel-verse.

Nevertheless, Buffy the series was really superb genre programming. Episodes like "The Body" and "Hush" were especially breathtaking.

cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it was predictable, or if it's just the writer in me (I can sort of predict a lot of stuff I see on TV), but I knew that...uh, that person--I don't want to give it away for those that haven't seen it...all two of you--died. I saw it coming. The way s/he did, though, I thought was kind of touching. Or maybe I'm just sappy.

All in all, though, it was an all around kick@$$ ending. I liked this show better than Buffy--unlike Buffy, they went out on top; with the Slayer, I stuck out the last season or two because of a loyal and perhaps naive hope that it would get better--and am tremendously sad to see it go.

The WB is run by a bunch of morons, IMO.

CVG

"I am sad. I want to cause violence." Illyria. Ha!

PS--Smallville's good too. You guys catch the finale? Awesome.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's just the writer in me (I can sort of predict a lot of stuff I see on TV)

I consider that part of what I call "the writer mindset" and I strongly recommend that anyone who aspires to be a writer should cultivate that ability--while watching movies and TV and plays, and while reading stories and listening to jokes.

Try not to ruin things for the nonwriterly within hearing distance of you, though (as Chris so kindly managed to do elsewhere in his post).

I have managed to drive my children crazy by voicing my predictions too many times. Of course, they have managed to drive me crazy at other times by asking me what is going to happen next when I don't have any idea.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

That, or we're just psychic.
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

I guess I'm a sap too, CV, because that death got to me, too.

"I killed all of mine." - Illyria

cvgurau
Member # 1345

Yes, it was exceptionally well done. Good script. Good acting. It was no less touching for it's predictability. Good job, all.

edit: I've heard that the WB has another vampire in the works, some remake of some old TV show. It's almost an insult. Like we're going to watch because there's a vaguely similar theme? Like we're mindless sheep?

Pshh. Idiots.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited May 23, 2004).]

Jules
Member # 1658

Err... hello! People who watch a lot of TV, mindless sheep -- I think I see a correlation.
cvgurau
Member # 1345

Oh. heh. Zing.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew. I've been avoiding this thread since the first Angel comment came up because we'd taped the finale to watch later. I was sooo afraid of spoilers. It was a nice sendoff. I'm a sucker for such things but I was also moved by the death scene.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I'm psyco too, I usually watch a show till I can tell what happens then go do something else. (unless I care if I'm wrong or not.)
Sometime during a movie my sister asks why someone said something, and it's hard for me to say 'just wait.' rather than telling her that he is the killer.

Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you heard of the " Anita Blake Vampire Hunter " series by Laurell K. Hamilton?....She portrays her vampires as more human ( IMO ) and they have their faults and ambitions and all that...yet she reminds us that they are vampires and I would like to say that yes I do like vampires and the fear that they can bring to your mind just by the word " vampire "....Have you read " Dracula " by Stoker?....that was a different type of vampire story....but then again....have you seen the movie " Blade " ?...yet again, different....but the draw for them to me is the difference in mentality about life and such...The movie " Underworld " gives a totally different take on vampires and werewolves on a different level...I just remembered this so that's why the editing of this message...but I enjoy that genre of writing...some of it can be vicious and others can be ( like Ms. Hamilton exhibits ) really graphic and sometimes nauseating....but it only happens in her novels as part of the story.....and she has an entertaining way of her magic.....If any of you enjoy this particular genre, I would recommend any of you to read Laurell K. Hamilton....

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited June 03, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited June 04, 2004).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought of one other I like...

The Count on Sesame Street!

Never watched any of the Angel or Buffy stuff, but think I watched the finale of Buffy, or it just happened to be on and I was surfing/procrastinating. Not enough to 'get it' obviously! I did like 'Witchblade' though, for a while, but they didn't seem to know where to go, then they did that stuff to back up and start over - puh-lease.

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited June 01, 2004).]

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

quote:
Thought of one other I like...
The Count on Sesame Street!

I've met him. He's a swell guy.

(I'm actually not making this up, just name-dropping a little. I worked his right-arm once, his puppeteer, Jerry Nelson, is a real-sweetheart.)

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
According to tradition, real vampires are more like the Count than any other fictional vampires around. They are compulsive about counting things, so if you fear you have a vampire on your trail, all you need to do is throw a handful of grain on the ground.

Ye ol' vampir will sit there going "one! grain of meell'it, ah ah ah! Two! grain of meell'it, ah ah ah--" all night and get caught by the sun in the morning.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

To that I say. One, one LOL bwah ha ha ha.
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

I didn't know that about vampires, Survivor - I'll have to remember that next time one is following me - does it work at conventions too?

Mary - that must have been a fun experience! I've always liked the Count - must be the wonderful puppeteer! My daughter was scared of him at first, but now she and her brother count right along with him.

We have a friend who does the Count's bit in movie theaters, "One, one wonderful trailer, ah ah ah. Two, two wonderful trailers, ah ah ah..."

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Three hours of trailers bwa ha ha.
I love the count.

But you guys with your vampire talk has given me nightmares. it might make a good story though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.