Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » letter formatting

Author Topic: letter formatting
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I brought this up at some point in the recent past, but a F&F topic led me to want to reopen the discussion.

Letter formatting:

blah blah blah blah blah.
#
Dear so and so:

la di da di da

Sincerely,

me
#
yipideedodah

I don't think italics or anything special is necessary here, but please, if someone knows exactly how to format a letter for a finished manuscript, share your wisdom with us. I'm taking my best guess based on things I've heard in the past

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm: as far as I know (I sent a couple, and no-one ever made any comments) here are the rules I used (but bear in mind I live on the other side of the pond, so it works in the UK)-the same for business letters:
The date at the top right-hand corner. Skip a line, and at the right end of the paper, put the name of the recipient and his address.
Skip a couple more lines. Aligned on the left, your name and address.
Skip some more lines.
Now it goes like that (everything is aligned on the left):

Dear so and so,

Here is...

Next paragraph

Next paragraph

etc.

Final paragraph

Yours sincerely,
skip a couple lines here (you'll sign afterwards once you've printed the letter, or you can put an electronic signature)
Your full name

The end

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always assumed that any of the accepted professional (as opposed to personal) styles of letter would be fine. I don't know if there's one style that's used more often than another.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's the official manuscript way to format a letter, but that's how I did it for the one letter story I did. I didn't get any comments on the formating being offensive.

Really -- how else would you do it? The formating that will make it stand out in the finished format isn't something that you can reproduce in manuscript form. Maybe the only other thing you could do would be to indent extra on either side, but I don't know if that is really necessary with the # page breaks already dividing it out from the regular text.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Since my story is the one that sparked this, I'll mention that part of the confusion was that there were one sentance quotes from the writing. So it would be something like,

"Dear So&So," I wrote, "Yes. blah, blah." Then I paused to consider.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.