Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Favorite Authors and thier style of writing

Author Topic: Favorite Authors and thier style of writing
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it that draws you to your favorite author? For me there are a few that I'll list below. And they are open for discussion.

1. Stephen King, he has a way of scaring the bejesus out of me or making me scared to go to bed.

2. Dean Koontz, I've read Strangers and Watchers, both are riveting and suspensful.

3. Laurell K. Hamilton, I've read her entire Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series, it goes in-depth on the title character and how she grows throughout the whole series and I have a feeling that it isn't done yet. She also made her world very believable and you feel yourself immersed in her world of magic and mayhem. I'd recommend anyone that likes to write in 1st person to give her work a chance. Her title character is gruff, and brutally honest and Anita is tough. I could go on for a while on her writing, but I'll change the subject for now.

4. Mary Shelley. I read Frankenstien once and it was very entertaining and morbid.

5. Brahm Stoker. Dracula, need I say more.
I'd like to think of him the "father" of the vampire genre.

There are many more, but I don't want to take up too much space on here so if you guys want chime in on your favs and why they are, go ahead and let me know.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
J. R. R. Tolkien -- the richness of Middle Earth; his understanding of evil; that hope must be maintained in the darkest moments.

Orson Scott Card -- everything I've read by him is an attempt to answer a fundamental philosophical question, What does it mean to be human?

Jon Hassler -- a regional writer who hails from Minnesota, and like Card all of his fiction seeks to answer another fundamental philosophical question, What does it mean to live? Especially recommended: Simon's Night

Ernest Hemingway -- I like the way his stories deal with a character coming to a new awareness, either of himself or the darker side of the world around him. Favorites: "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," "Indian Camp," "The Killers," "Up in Michigan," "Hills Like White Elephants" and The Old Man and the Sea

Stephen King -- he's more influential on me than I'd like to admit: I read everything by him when I was in high school, and I often turn to the pages of On Writing for inspiration, though I have to say I'm not too impressed with him anymore. He's not a deep writer, but his writing is energetic and his characters are real; and he's a great writer of the macabre.

Raymond Carver -- I love his simple style, which is very much in the tradition of Hemingway; in fact, he's very much a disciple of Hemingway. Especially recommended: "Cathedral"

Flannery O'Connor -- The way she imbues her stories with hidden spiritual depth. Especially recommended: "A Good Man is Hard to Find," "The River," and "Good Country People."

Graham Greene -- The way he imbues his stories with obvious spiritual depth. Especially recommended: The Power and the Glory

And yes, Monolith, Bram Stoker is indeed the father of the vampire genre, though I'm not a very big fan of Dracula.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 06, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I guess we shouldn't re-open the Hemingway discussion since we've already hashed that one out pretty severely, but let me reiterate, I DESPISE Hemingway's work. Sorry, but I can't let the opportunity go by without saying that.

I think Stephen King has more influence on most of us than we like to admit. The fact is, he's a really good writer. But only when he takes the time to do it right. A lot of his stuff feels very mass-produced to me, and I don't much care for it, but when he writes quality, the man writes quality. Specifically, "The Dark Half" which I thought was one of the most gripping page-turners I've ever read, and of course "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" which is a masterpiece of modern fiction. I think most writers can learn a lot from him. That said, I think a lot of writers pick up bad habits from him as well. I have mixed opinions about him.

OSC, of course. An absolute master at making you really care about his characters. The ending of "Lost Boys" was one of the most emotional moments I've ever had reading a book, precisely because he made me care about the characters so much.

Henry James. I've also posted about him already, but the man was a master of subtlety. There is so much going on psychologically with his characters, and it's all between the lines. He's credited as being one of the first great psychologcal writers. What's infinitely more important, I think he's still one of the best psychological writers ever. "Turn of the Screw" was of course great, among other masterpieces that he wrote. Also, one of the best writers I've read at making a story downright creepy.

William Golding. Okay, maybe I can't actually say him because I've only ever read one book by him ("Lord of the Flies" of course), but that one book was so well-written that I'm putting it in anyway. Honestly, I've got a few problems (minor ones) with his sytactical (sp?) style, but it's so well-structured, and he managed to pack every single thing in the entire book with so much meaning, that I'm putting him on the list.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Rice: subtle horror in much of her work--just the way she works with words.

Anne Perry: Accurate details and thoughts on her character's parts. I hate writers who tell a tale of years ago and the characters think and talk like modern people. (such as PC terms and thoughts)

Sue Grafton: love her on liner funnies

Tony Hillerman: research and his understanding and ability to put across a culture he was not born into and present it in a non stereo type manner--all but his last book have been wonderful. The last book stank, though.

Patrica Cornwell: again accurate details and good writing.

Nevada Barr: hmm, well, not real deep books but they come across very well and they are well written--her own experience as a park ranger come across very well in her character.

Tracy Hickman: always liked his books as escapism and now that I have had the chance to get to know him a bit I like his work even better. Great man and so is his wife.

I read so many--for me the writer has to make me feel along with the characters.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Heinlein - I read everything he wrote when I was in school. His characters were real. He had original plots. (As original as they can be, and some are cliche because people followed him; ie OSC)

Tolkien - He made Middle Earth come alive. It's a real place.

Weis and Hickman - The Dragonlance saga was incredible. The characters were real people. The places actually exist.

God - No explanation needed.

quote:
I think Stephen King has more influence on most of us than we like to admit.

The only works that I've read of his are The Gunslinger series (up to #4), Eyes of the Dragon, and On Writing. The one piece of his that has influenced me is On Writing. I use it as a reference piece, a tool.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
King has no influence on me at all. Hahaha!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I enjoy Stephen King, but some of his stuff is really good, like Shawshank. But I have to say that his attempt at fantasy (Eyes of the Dragon) is one of the worst in that genre I have ever tried to read. But this is my list (as they relate to the fantasy genre):

J.R.R. Tolkien: What a visual artist! the ultimate good vs. evil, and hope rules the day! The Original, 'nuff said.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman: I liked the Dragonlance Series, but the Death Gate Cycle is their most picturesque story. The best world-building I have seen. And I do mean seen.

Terry Brooks: Knight of the Word series. Great vivid characters and a very good hero, or heroes. Modern day fantasy at its best.

Robert Jordan: I know, but he has really created something. I think it is unlike anything written before in fantasy. Yes it seems unending, but what a marvelous world he has created. I feel as though I have been to every nook and cranny, and met most of the people too. probably why it is so long.

Orson Scott Card: Alvin Maker is what did it for me. I read Enders Game but it didn't click with me so much. But When I bought the Hatrack series, I was totally impressed. Almost too much to mention.

And I dare not leave out J.K Rowling. As much as I hate to be mainstream, I gotta hand it to her. The story just gets better with every book.

ps. Honorable mention to Terry Goodkind. He can write some of the best gorey scenes I have ever read. I cringe at some of the stuff. I am always amazed at someone who seems comfortable writing the sick stuff.

I should mention, that I am also inspired by the following writers, so you understand I am not JUST a fantasy geek.
Harper Lee, Mark Twain, John Steinbeck, Russell Baker, and recently Michael Malone, to name a few. I could go on but...

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to start my list with Ray Bradbury. It was he who immersed me in the world of speculative fiction. And Dandelion Wine remains one of my favorite all-time books.

OSC--I don't think I have ever read anyone who tells a story so well. I just finished Lost Boys. I cried. I NEVER cry in books. I kept wondering as I read the book why he was spending so much time with what is to me very day to day stuff--the church things, the family things in particular. But by the end of the book I came to realize that being immersed in their lives made me care about them so deeply that the gripping end was an absolute heartbreak. My favorite OSC book, however, was Enchantment. A wonderful tale, a mix of reality and fairy-tale, a marvelous love story. I recommend it to everyone and have a waiting list of people who want to borrow my copy.

As far as JK Rowling goes, I have to say I found her first four volumes very entertaining and have read them all more than once, which is relatively rare for me. But she lost me on volume 5. The writing quality took a steep nosedive and she spent WAY too much time on things that were not made relevant to the plot. I personally think she's burned out and needs to hire a ghostwriter who actually gives a darn what happens to Harry to finish up volumes six and seven.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Heimlein: I really like his stuff, but I have to disagrew with the person who said his characters are real....I find his characters to be far-fetched at best, ludicrous at worst. Especially his women. I enjoy his stories for the story, the wittiness, the balls of the characters (including the woman), and, to be honest, the risque nature.

Robert Jordan: Has done the first unique thing with the middle earth environment since J.R.R. Tokien in my opinion. If only he had quit while he was ahead, I would say he has written the best fantasy I have ever read. As it happens I still think his world is rich and his characters are real and deep, everyone and everything grows and changes and his worlf feels so real, so complex, just like real life. Despite the fact that I refuse to read 10, and I will not read any further books until he's finished, I love what he's done.

Terry Brooks often comes up as a favorite author. I liked his Knight of the Word, and I have enjoyed on a juvenille level some of his other things, but I put down his most recent trilogy unifinished. I was completely uninterested in anything that was happening and already had a mind for how it ended (But if I was wrong, I didn't care enough to find out.) I find him to be a very OK writer.

Orson Scott Card: Write unforgettable stories. I don't always love his style, but after I read a book I rarely remember the style nearly so much as the story. He's had a few stinkers, don't get me wrong, but in general...

Agatha Christie (no one said these had to be scifi/fantasy, did they?): Puts together great puzzles and great twists.

Pierson Anthong: (Pretend Xanth doesn't exist) I find his style to be light and amusing. It's just good fun. Oh yeah, pretend his Mode Series doesn't exist either. So, maybe he's about fifty/fifty, but I really like the stuff I like...Incarnations of Immortality and Adept series.

Mercedes Lackey: I like her characters more than anything else.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, like everyone else. Love his style, and he has a way of coming up with interesting stories...

Patricia McKilip, for what she did to revive the fairytale genre and for her style, which can be a bit heavy at times but is also the most beautiful one I have ever had the opportunity to come across.

Ursula Le Guin, both for her thought-provoking novels exploring the inegalities between sexes, and for her style.

Zelazny, for the first five books of the Amber series (the quality of writing and plot took a nosedive after that), and for Lord of Light, the most inventive science fantasy novel I read in a while. Works on every level.

Dorothy Dunnett, to change a little, for her convincing depiction of life in the time of Mary Queen of Scots (well, actually, in the era where she was still a child). If you haven't read the Lymond Chronicles, go and buy them NOW.

I don't like Terry Goodkind; his preaching really gets on my nerve, and the gory stuff seems to be really gratutious at times. I used to like Jordan but haven't bothered for the last three volumes of the wheel of time. I haven't read anything by Stephen King except the Eyes of the Dragon, which was good but not exceptional, and I don't like horror so I won't read anything by him, I guess, except when he has finished the Dark Tower; I may then be inclined to read them all in one week...

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll just mention a few of the ones that haven't been mentioned.

Andre Norton - Although her style is light, she has created some incredible sci fi and fantasy. I've read at least twenty of her books, and only once did one bore me to the point of putting it down (early 60's book, just didn't grab me). I still enjoy her books. Some good ones: The Crystal Griffon series, The zero stone, Iron Cage...and I could go on and on...

Roger Zelanzy - Amber series, the first one, the second one was not near as good. I loved the multitude of sub plots that kept me from realizing what was going on till it was meant to be understood. I didn't feel cheated at all. I've read some of his other works as well, they weren't bad either.

Harry Harrison - The stainless steel rat series was hilarious, while keeping things light. Then the Eden series was almost like reading a different author. The big "what if" that had dinosaurs still roaming the earth, and some of them were quite intelligent. I would not suggest "Bill the Galactic Hero" series, I read the whole set (after managing to locate them all), and well, disappointment would be a word.

Larry Nivnen - No one has mentioned him yet, but although I can't say his writing is the greatest...his stories are. Legacy of Herrot being one of my favorites.

There are more, but those are ones I almost always look for when in a book store, amongst some of the ones already mentioned.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I want to try to come up with a list, but I'd like to comment on some of the authors/books mentioned in the above lists.

LORD OF THE FLIES--I loved the way that I became so involved with the characters that when I got to the end I experienced the most violent paradigm shift I can ever remember. Wow! Powerful story.

Tony Hillerman's descriptions really work for me, and I'm not a reader who tolerates a lot of description very well. (I had the opportunity to ask him one time how he did it, and he didn't know.)

Tony Hillerman also did an amazing thing as a writer when he had Jim Chee spend a goodly chunk of his investigation time on a case thinking about his girlfriend. The way he integrated Chee's thoughts about her with Chee's thoughts about his investigation (and the things Chee did in the process of the investigation) is something I think every writer should study. (The book is THE GHOST WAY.)

Of course there are others mentioned whose books and writing I also love, but I'll let the rest of you post your lists.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Top is Ray Bradbury, he has given me the reason to write. Best book Farenheight 451, for shorts The Veldt and Zero Hour were intriging and showed me what can happen if you ignore your children. (just my opinion, the Veldt was about drugs and Zero Hour was about gangs.) Also In 3049(can't remember the #) the soft rains will fall, such a peaceful horrible story.
Runners up in no particular order:
Tolkein: He's pretty much the head of my Genre, everything fantasy today is him 'but different'. I really liked how he understood addiction, the ring that everybody hates and loves. Wanting to throw it away but can't.
Tracy Hickman:His new Bronze Canticles shows me what Fantasy needs to be now. Also I love it's world Dynamic. (Dragonlance is wonderful also.)
I have nothing new to say about Rowling and brooks, but it looks like I have to find 'the knight of the word'
Fergus Ryan: As far as I know he has only 1 book. but he has a wonderful grasp of mixing humor and deep characters.
King: His On writing is all that I've read althought I've got the stand. I liked his take on writing and tried some of his techniques (with mixed results.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Pyre, I almost bought the first installment in the Bronze Canticles the other day but didn't. Is it as good as his previous stuff? I read the jacket and was unsure about the "travel between worlds" element. It sounded somewhat science- fictiony. Brief rundown without spoilers if possible, Please!

Also, the first book in the Knight of the Word series is RUNNING WITH THE DEMON. There are three books in the series. I hear he has plans to write a continuation, but it is at least two books away.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Kathleen, did you read Hillerman's The Sinister Pig?

What did you think of it?

Shawn

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since I knew what pigs are (my husband's work involved natural gas pipelines and gas transmission), I thought THE SINISTER PIG was rather fun.

It wasn't particularly original (the first James Bond movie starring Timothy Dalton had a person being smuggled through a pipeline in a pig), but I thought it was a pretty effective way to smuggle anything across the border.

I hope the border guard sat up and took notice.

I don't read Tony Hillerman's books to try to solve the mystery (some of them aren't all that mysterious). I read for the characters. I really like Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn. <shrug>

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that he just got caught in the pipe when the pig was moving through it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh it's great, BC is not Sf, it's not really travel between worlds it's world. only one. there are just three different realities on the face of the same world. It's interesting when totally different storys pass the same landmarks. They all link together in odd ways. But I haven't totally figured it out since I'm only halfway through it. The world is large, I have a feeling I've only seen a small bit of it. The closest it comes to anything Sci-Fi(so far anyway) is a clock. so yea pick it up.

(Reading over my list I see I forgot OSC, Sorry, I love his moral dillemas. Xenocide really screwed with me.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This reminds me. When I started writing...I wrote exactly like early Terry Pratchett! (He writes in a unique style, switching tenses at certain times, in a snarky 3rd omniscent.) And I had been digesting his works for 2 years, and it had warped my mind!

It took 6 months to overcome this problem.

Ug..

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Pratchett....that is an ugh. I must say, I like his stuff, but I hate his style. I find him amusing, but he uses three names for each character (calling them by title, first name, and last name alternately, often within the smae scene!) and I have a lot of trouble following what is going on. Once I figure it out, however, I do like his stuff.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I won't comment on previous entries, but I do have to make sure the Science Fiction folks get a fair shake.

Ray Bradbury started me off as a kid, and while much of his stuff is really melancholy fantasy, the sense of wonder and occasional horror gripped me.

Arthur C. Clark - Cool hard science ideas with good characters - Rendezvous with Rama still rocks.

Issac Asimov - the master - good writing, interesting ideas, some of it feels quite dated and flat now, but tha goes for so much of the older stuff.

Heinlein - great broad range of ideas, I only got annoyed when he got so excited that he could publish sex in his stuff that he felt that he had to try every weird sex fetish he could think of.

Larry Niven - Great ideas, fun quirky characters.

Fred Pohl - Interesting ideas, almost always has tortured main characters, lots of hubris.
Zelazny - been covered.
Newer writers:
Card - great characters - what everyone else said.
David Brin - Incredible universe creation, masterful way of using multiple POVs to show a complicated story and yet keep it all totally involving and clear.

Vernor Vinge - I still can't articulate what makes him so good, but I have to make sure to block out time before I pick up one of his books because I am almost powerless to put it down once I start.

Walter Jon Williams - Very versatile, powerful author who really looks deep into personal and societal implications of his stuff. If you live in near the big rivers (Missouri/Mississippi) and havenn't read The Rift, read it and then move to higher ground.

Timothy Zahn - Another author who manages to weave good characters, orgininal ideas, and usually a mystery or two into good books.

Greg Bear - Great hard science with good characters with moral dilemmas.

Lois McMaster Bujold - Great characters with cool byzantine society and never-ending (how does she do that?) plot twists.

There's more but these are my tops.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Agree, Christine. Writing like Pratchett has its uses. Namely when I write satire. Anything else? No. It really held me back.

Got over it though.

srhowen
Member # 462

I just felt that the story fell flat--threads got started and I was waiting for that great characterization to come through and it seemed to spurt and sputter but never really get going. It seemed to me to be a surface story, almost an outline instead of the full book.

Could have just been me.

Shawn

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Shawn, it could be that Hillerman is getting older, too. It's a thought I hate to think, but he is--we all are. <sigh!>
srhowen
Member # 462

I know, I know--I read that book and thought--ugh, yikes, this could all end soon and then I wanted to scream--nooooooooooo.

Side note: did you see the PBS movies made from his books?

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited June 10, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.