Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Cover letter question

Author Topic: Cover letter question
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've heard that after getting a rejection that encourages you to send more of your work, you should casually mention this fact in the next cover letter to that market. But how? Where should this information go? Before or after the pictures of your adorable kitty cat and the information on how much your mother loved the story and how your neighbor already illustrated it and will sell the picture for a thousand bucks?*

*ok, I'm kidding on the kitty cat pictures and such. But I really am clueless on how this information should get put in the cover letter. Is it even appropriate?

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

- posted      Profile for cgamble   Email cgamble         Edit/Delete Post 
not that i have a clue, but i wouldnt imagine it would go at all. i hardly see why it is relevant to any other publisher. but thats just my 2 cents.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

No, no, not mentioning that to any other markets, but mentioning it in the next cover letter to the place that sent you the original rejection letter.

Although as I said, I'm not really sure that it belongs in there at all.

cgamble
Member # 2009

OH! Thats been addressed here before.. long topic. i think the conclusion was:
a> they usually dont take resubs,
b> clearly mention its a resub, because otherwise they minght know, and might blacklist or something even more horrible..

but im pretty sure thats in a long thread somewhere here.

Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the person meant when you get a rejection letter about one story that encourages you to send a different story, where and whould you mention that fact in the cover letter. Otherwise, the person might have forgotten that they wanted to see some more work from you.

They might just remember the fact that they rejected you and not the fact that they wanted to see more work from you.

That about right, Gen?

Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

ack, your right. i see it now! i feel like such a fool. well, new personal rule. no trying to be helpful on less than 2 hours sleep. it just never turns out right.. sorry,
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it was Dr. Smith who requested that you send more work, I'd just be brief:

"Dear Dr. Smith,

Thank you for your interest in my work. As you requested, I am sending a different fantasy piece entitled, "My Neighbor's Cat."

I look forward to hearing from you."

That sort of thing.

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I received a rejection from a magazine, but the rejection letter said, "I suggest you try us again." So here's how I began my next cover letter to that magazine.

quote:
Dear Mr. _______,

In August 2003 you rejected the first story that I submitted to your magazine, but suggested that I try you again. I am following that suggestion by enclosing my story "____________."

That story was rejected, but in that rejection letter the editor said that he looked forward to my next submission.

My next cover letter began:

quote:
Dear Mr. _______,

In your letter of April 21, you said that you looked forward to my next submission. Enclosed is my 8968-word story "____________."

I'm still waiting on that last manuscript.

I think you want to remind them first thing that they liked your previous submission enough that they wanted you to submit again. That means they think you have the potential to write something they might publish, so they won't be wasting their time by looking at your manuscript.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

Yep, that's right, Eric Sherman.

Sounds like a good plan, EricJamesStone.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.