Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writing invitation

Author Topic: Writing invitation
cgamble
Member # 2009

- posted      Profile for cgamble   Email cgamble         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear friends,

As some of you may have known from a post in the writing markets thread, I am opening a new website about writers. I intend to put reviews, workshops, and of course original fictional pieces on the site.

The fictional stories will be for pay, though at a nominal rate.

However, what I need to kick the site off is reviews, workshop pieces and calendar items (ie book signings, writing conventions, etc). If you have the time to prepare and offer these types of work, it would be greatly appreciated. For these works, we offer an authors biography section, and will be building a link page before long.

If this interests you, please send an email wiht your story to: editor@revision14.com

Thank you,

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
Am sending a review your way! (I think many fellow hatrackers would be great at writing reviews of some of the old masters of SF/F...)
Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you clarify what you mean by "workshop pieces?" Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited June 10, 2004).]

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

workshop pieces are basically how to write or maybe how to get published type articles or any information that you found useful that someone else could use to make their writing life a little bit easier.

and thanks lindsay for the works!

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
So do you want the submissions as attatchments? I might have a little thing for you.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome! I really like what you've done, and I'm looking forward to watching the site grow!
Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

For these shorter pieces, I will accept in any format attachment, drawing.. whatever you have.

With these, I would like for the authors to say something about themselves, because when the articles are publsihed, the authors automatically get put up on the authors board ( its just a little page that says who you are and what you've written at the site. Of course, on the off-chance someone wants to be anonymous, I can arrange for that too.

also, please include the copyright date so i can properly post that information.

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by cgamble (edited June 11, 2004).]

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
In case you don't mind new suggestions, I had a thought for you magazine that might be fun....pro/con opinion pieces. This could be done in the form of positive/negative reviews or it could be done on a topic on wirting. (pro/con outlining or pro/con profanity, to take a couple of topics we've juggled around here) It could be fun.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

Christine, sounds like a great idea...

Do you have any more thoughts on implementation.. ie. are you thinking a new seciton called pro/con where it lists articles that half are pro and half are con?

or would it be better suited to showing a single topic, then having two articles on for pro and one for con ??

Or is there something much more ingenious that could be devised for this ??

Did i mention I liked the idea

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
My idea was pretty simple, although it will require a specialized call for submissions. Each issue could have a topic of your choice, and some appropriate length of time beforehand, you would alert people to that topic and ask for pices either for or against. Pick the best one on either side and put them up.

Or....Well, if you do movie reviews, as you seem to be leaning towards, you could have reviewers who like/dislike a movie on different sides of a pro/con line. These would probably come in without a speicalized call for submissions, asuming you get a good base of reviewers with differing tastes.

Or do something else with it...if the thought inspires you. That was pretty much what I was thinking, though.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

ahh. i c. very good indeed..

BTW, I would like to note. The current site, with its current movie review-- has nothing to do with the goal. thats there so i dont have a blank spot .. i am writting some real material as well as triyng to collect some before i go live. I cant say I wont ever put something like that it, rarely, but this is a literature fan site. I deeply apologize for the confusion....

Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
How about reviews of online writing classes. There are some great ones and some real dogs out there. Personally I would be interested in reading about other people's experiences and sharing mine.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

Kickle, I never thought about it.. but that is a very important category.

If anyone has thoughts or reviews on writing classes, I will make a space for it!

I already have a review for a "how to write" book, so i can easily split it into fiction reviews and "how to write" type reviews <- better names to come..

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
For Pro/Con pieces, I wouldn't limit it to one of each. To be fair (or at least to seem fair), you would probably need to have the same number on each side. But you want to cover as many good points as possible. If that takes 3 of each, or 7 of each (if they're not too long), go for it. Sometimes 1 of each might do the trick, but don't make it a rule.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

actually, i think i would implement it more as taking the two best: one from each side and display it. there are chat forums on the board that work really well to have continued discussions on these things.. but the main of the web page is really reserved for our best works.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.