Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do You Study Your Genre?

Author Topic: Do You Study Your Genre?
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how many of you study the SF and fantasy field. In a critical manner, not as a fan . . . or even as a writer.

In other words, how many of you have read David Hartwell's THE AGE OF WONDERS? How many of you make a conscious effort to read and understand the history of the genre, as well as to read and understand the "sub-genres" within the field, even if you don't care for them as a fan? How many of you try to understand how, say, science fantasy or dystopian SF or (insert any category you'd like--medieval fantasy, perhaps) has changed and evolved over the years?

In other words, how many of you are actively engaged in becoming . . . well, a student of the genre?

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 14, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
100% not me. Why would you do that?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully we're all reading and studying the works of others in an effort to be better writers. So if we're reading in our genre certainly we're learning about our genre. But I'm not making a concerted, conscious effort to organize that information in my mind the way you suggest. Maybe I should. Maybe, subconsciously, my brain is already doing that for me with every book or story I read.

Anyway, your hypothesis sounds like the foundations for a really interesting college course. History of Sci-Fi 101.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

- posted      Profile for cgamble   Email cgamble         Edit/Delete Post 
i cant imagine being that level of a student of a fictional work. I think it would limit my creativity.

I do however actively study history, and rarely mythology. Those seem to be extremely freeing of mind.. but maybe studying fantasy literature would be just as effective. thats an interesting thought for someone who "really" loves the work of the ancients

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I had teachers who used to ask me to "study" literature in the way you suggest, Balthasar. I hated it. I love reading, and always have. Before I could read I loved books with pictures because I could look at them and try to imagine what they were about. I love stories.

But to study literature in that way sounds dreadful. I have madea concerted effort to pick up Hugo/Nebular award winners because I imagine that their contributions to science fiction/fantasy in terms of *stories* is wowrth investigating. Some of them have been inspirational, some enjoyable, others I didn't quite understand why they won but hey, nobody likes everything and that's a lesson too.

But I'd rather study history, mythology, science, art, or nature....the elements that add toa s tory and make them real and come alive.

djvdakota, I don't think there's a should here. Do what you feel. Maybe through studying science fiction and fantasy you can analyze the trends and figure out what the next great wave of the future will be, but I kind of doubt it. For one thing, the most important thing in your own writing is passion about a subject....meaning you can't necessarily write the next great wave of the future even if you figure out what it is if you're not passionate about it. After that, research is important, but probably you wlil need to research physics or stronomy or mythology.

There are people who truly love to study literature. Many of them tried to force this love on me in high school and college. Fortunately, my passion for reading overcame their attempts to dampen it. Now, as an adult, I read what I love. Fortunately, I love a lot of things and a lot of topics, from space travel to horror to epic fantasy. I love stories from all times periods, even those science fiction stories that has obviously dated technology. It goes to show (to me) how much more important a good story and good characters are than getting the technology down exactly right because I still love some of those cutting-edge scifi books from the early part of the century. (Pre-hugo and nebula, even).

So to sum up, no, I don't study the genres of science fiction or fantasy. I learn from the greats I admire and the greats others admire and never let the passion flicker and die.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
For me this would be starting down the dark path of "should" that only leads to guilt and loss of interest. So, that makes me a no too.

I love learning how things work and am facinated with processes like photosynthesis and topics like system ecology. These are the things I actively study. I felt like the explicit study of literature in classes almost squelched out my love of reading. But, luckily it rebounded! Now, I read what I'm inspired to, read ones I wouldn't normally pick, and read the ones a friend says, "Here, read this." Sometimes the last kind are the best because they are usually things I wouldn't even give a second glance.

I think too, something else to think about is, no matter how much you read, how much you analyze the styles and techniques of the authors you admire most, it won't make you a good writer. The only way to do that, is to stop reading and start writing! (I know you all know this, but sometimes I have to remind myself! )

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
The closest I come is actively seeking out works by certain authors because I'm interested to find out more about them for some reason.

Being an utter cheapskate, I rarely buy books new. In fact the three books I have most recently bought new were primarily for academic purposes:

- Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein. Because it has been cited by many as a highly influential book, because I'd previously never read Heinlein (it is actually unusual to see a Heinlein book on a book shop shelf in the UK), and because I wanted to grok.

- Coraline, Neil Gaiman. Because I was intrigued by the notion of a "book [that] will nudge Alice in Wonderland out of its niche", at least according to Diana Wynne Jones. I don't think she was right. Unless she has Alice in an entirely different niche to me.

- Wheelers, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen. Because I'm intrigued about what kind of fiction Dr. Cohen, who is well known for his opinions on what forms alien life might take, would write. And because when I met Dr. Stewart he seemed fun.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Good posts. No, I haven’t studied SF critically, as a student. And though I am reasonably well read in SF, I don’t doubt that my writing suffers to some extent from my lack of knowledge on what has gone before. So it’s definitely a worthwhile endeavor.

Unfortunately, finding the time to do so can be difficult in the hyper-frenetic culture in which we live. But time is always the problem when it comes to doing something that ought to be done, and so you have to make time by sacrificing time somewhere else. You’ve mentioned before that you have a reading quota for each day, this despite all of your other daily commitments. I do the same thing (although it’s measured in minutes, not in pages). My reading time is so precious to me right now that I must be very selective with what I choose to read. As a fan of SF, I have to say, reluctantly, that while it can be quite entertaining, it is not necessarily always edifying. Procative, yes, but not edifying – at least not to the extent that other books might be. Remember, this is about making choices. How can I best invest the 30 to 45 minutes a day that I have carved out to read? I want to spend that time reading something that will make me a better person for having read it. SF can certainly accomplish that, but honestly, how can I read American Gods when I haven’t yet read St. Augustine’s confessions, or Plato’s Symposium, or Dante, or Tolstoy, or Hugo, or…know what I mean?

I will finish the Hugo and Nebula lists someday, just not in the foreseeable future. And in the meantime, I'll never stop reading SF and all of its sub-genres. In fact, right now I'm reading Doomsday Book (Connie Willis) and Blood Music (Greg Bear).

Brian

[This message has been edited by reid (edited June 14, 2004).]

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only have I studied science fiction critically, I've taken the course. For my post-course work in extra-genre studies, I'm involved in writing a series of blog posts on the development and psychological meaning of the smart young woman/older scholarly man relationship seem in Laurie R. King's Mary Russell Holmes series as seen though the differing developments of similar pairings in fanfic...

Well, I really did take the course, at least. Having studied the genre both formally and critically, I can honestly say that one good set of con panels and a quick perusal of the SF related posts at Teresa Nielsen Hayden's blog will probably get you up to speed on the basics of most of the stuff in terms of movements, subgenres, and history. Beyond the basics you can dig in for a lifetime, and the details are interesting to some people, but hey, if you're not one of them you could fake the rest. Come on! You're a writer! Invent things! Invent a new literary movement, it might catch on. *jk*

[This message has been edited by Gen (edited June 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Gen (edited June 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Gen (edited June 18, 2004).]

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I study Fantasy, not in a deep analysis sort of way. But I know the history of it, back to the scalds at least. I love to read mythology. (which is study for me I don't have to dissect it so the poor froggie is dead.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read alot of fantasy themed books, most of them by Hickman and Weiss. ( The Dragonlance Series ) I have read the Stephen King " Eyes of the Dragon " and a whole list of others. Now, I'd like to study the fantasy genre but that'd take a long time to go into detail on almost every aspect of it but, on the positive side of it, it'd make you more knowledgeable of what you're going to write and make you less apt of making everyone know that you don't know anything about what you are writing about.
But that's only my take on things.

Bryan

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides studying English/AmLit, I took a college course on the history of SF, which was pretty interesting and gave me the opportunity to read some of the greats. I also make it a point to meet with and talk to a lot of pro writers, to get their take on genres I like (both SF, F and H), where it's been and where they see it heading. Same with attending cons; I try to pick some panels that offer insight into overlooked authors such as Lord Dunsany and the history of genre fiction.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
birdcastle
Member # 1508

- posted      Profile for birdcastle           Edit/Delete Post 
I took a Fantasy course as an undergrad, and it really opened my eyes. We started with the idea of the hero monomyth and ended with Riddley Walker. Totally excellent.

Lisa

Posts: 23 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started writing, I realized I did need to expand my reading of and understanding of the genres. So I invested in or checked out books on writing sf/f, which often give brief histories. I realized that I needed to broaden my horizons - usually I discover love for an author's work, read all their stuff, then move on to another. Now I am selecting books by authors I have not read, or books that are 'great' sf/f, both to enjoy and learn from. It really helps to know what has been done, and see how it's been done. I also of course have been reading the mags for short fiction, which sometimes amazes me and sometimes convinces me that my stories have a shot (oh my goodness look what they published...). I also have expanded my 'fun' research so I can discover what is going on in the real world that can apply to my writing.

So I would not say I am formally studying the genre, but in a way I am - I read "Wild Seed" by Octavia Butler, and a book of her short stories, based on OSC's recommendation in his how-to book. I'm reading books I might not have picked up before. I am reexperiencing short fiction. I'm reading a BB! I apply my writing class lessons to my genre, and do my assignments based on my genre.

But I'm doing what I like, and am having fun in the process. If it was not enjoyable, I would not do it. I'm not saying I would avoid work that served a purpose - but work should be enjoyable. Mostly, so far, it doesn't feel like work or ruin my reading time.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.