Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Strangest Thing...

Author Topic: The Strangest Thing...
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having the strangest case of writer's block, of late.

See, I write at the family computer (an evil, possessed little thing, with its infernal glitches and perpetually persevering pop-ups (got to love that alliteration )), usually into the wee hours of the morning. Normally, the muse whispers into my ear while I work, and in the end, I'm satisfied with the product. Until recently.

I don't rely on the muse too heavily, and turn out some decent stuff even when he's not there. But now, in his absence, I can't even write crap. I have nothing. I sit in the leather swiveling chair and stare at the glaring screen until my mind melts (yes!), but nothing comes. Nothing, at all.

But that's normal writer's block. So here's the strange part.

I've taken to writing longhand in a legal pad, whenever the computer's being used. It's soothing. It's slower, yes, but that's not a problem. Longhand affords a grace--and the flexibility to trace over your words or doodle in the margins while you think of the next perfect word--that the computer will never have. I like it.

Yet my block doesn't seem to follow me into this medium. I can write for pages, for hours, even (I wrote for four and a half hours, a few Sundays ago), and it's all solid gold. The muse screams into my mind with an ebullient fervor, and he does it with a megaphone set on "high".

And yet, when I sit at the computer and transcribe ink to kilobyte, I finish what I wrote on the pad and end up finishing, period. The Block blocks again, and I'm left with a frustration that makes me want to throw things at the computer screen. Hard things. Big, hard things, with sharp edges.

I think my muse is allergic to electronics.

Weird.

Any thoughts?

CVG

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited June 15, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a masculine muse? Strange.

Very odd behaviour too. Although I can appreciate the freedom you get from a pad of paper -- you can take it anywhere and there's no pressure to perform.

I got my most productive writing of the last few years when I took a laptop on holiday with me and sat next to the pool with it. Another no pressure, different environment thing, I guess.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a male muse as well. LOL

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
My muse is a female, a bit of a drunk also. Oh well, not extremely reliable.

I love my computers, never had a problem looking at word perfect on the screen. I run short of ideas from time to time, but the words tend to always be there...even if they aren't great.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
cvgurau, this sounds to me like a simple case of someone who writes better longhand than on the computer. Just go with it!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
CV, I find myself switching off between the laptop and pencil-paper sometimes. I think it's making a change, any sort of change, that helps me get past a block. Sometimes I take either the pad and pencil or the whole laptop to a Starbucks, pull up a comfy chair, and find I can write a hundred pages on the same day I couldn't write a word at home. Doing something different -- long-hand writing, changing locations, whatever -- seems to be the key.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably wrote half of my first book on paper with my favorite pen (a Scheaffer fountain pen) sitting in the car waiting for this or that child to get out of school with my four-year-old bouncing all over the back seat. It was sloppy, but some of my best work.

And when the muse leaves me my hubby puts his arms around me and lets my cry on his shoulder and he tells me that it'll come back. And you know what? It always does.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this "Muse" you speak of sounds wonderful! Now where can I buy one?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Toys R Us, but you have to assemble him or her by yourself. Mine is a her, but she's crazy.

Pen and paper works for me sometimes, I've also turned out some pretty good stuff on my Palm.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I "borrowed" my muse from Stephen King. It's not something I did on purpose; before I read On Writing, which I enthusiastically recommend for all two of you who haven't read it, my muse was...well, nonexistant. I never thought to give him/her form. S/he was just there.

Just don't tell King, or he'll have me killed.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited June 15, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
I mainly write in longhand. Occassionally, if an idea strikes me at work, or I need to get something down quickly I'll use the pc but otherwise its pen and paper.

As you said, it gives time to think, muse and do the all important doodles - my husband laughs about illuminated manuscripts!

I get over the transcription problem by doing straight transcription, then printing out the whole thing and attacking it with a pen. It's vicious and nasty at times but it works for me. Recently I went on holidays with a 3 notepads (work in progress) and 2 folders of printout (work being edited/hacked to pieces ready to start again).

Even my 2 year old wants a notebook and a pen so he can "work".

As for the muse - he comes and goes. Has to be a he - can vanish for days without even a phone call to say where he is!

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
CV, I got my muse from King, too. I finished that book, and sat down to write, and there he was.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for the muse - he comes and goes. Has to be a he - can vanish for days without even a phone call to say where he is!

Sounds more like a cat to me. Maybe that's why so many writers have them. 'Course, a roamer would be a male cat, so RFLong may be onto something. Hmmm...maybe cat muses are like parakeets -- only the males talk, only the males are muses. Phooey. That leaves me with two useless felines. Maybe I'll teach them to use the phone, just in case.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 16, 2004).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
If I have a block, I don't tend to write for a few days or so, but I also think about what I'm wanting to write, and how things are going to progress. But usually when I start writing I think of new things of how things will go, and it goes from there.

BHJr

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.