Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Keep writing

Author Topic: Keep writing
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided to take an in-depth look at the oft-given advice "keep writing." It is given in answer to many dilemnas on this board, ranging from writer's block to coming up with an idea in the first place.

I think that the spirit of the advice is apt, but that the letter of the advice is not.

Sometimes, "keep writing" is what kills a story for me. Plunging headlong into the unknown middle of an idea without firm enough footing. It is a foolish man who built his house upon the sand.

I think you should practice writing everday, but heck, journals can work for that if you're in a planning stage in your novel. You should also keep doing writing tasks, like asking those ever-important questions and outlining, but just "keep writing" seems to be a recipe for disaster.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

- posted      Profile for cgamble   Email cgamble         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine,

Thus the invention of the revision 14 site. Oddly enough, after I started to put it together, and started getting articles and such for the site, my writing came much more naturally, not to say that its any better, but i hope it is

Writing seems to inspire writing, though I would never keep writing on the thing that was blocked..

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason CJ Cherryh's rule came to mind. "Never follow any rule off a cliff."

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd always understood that the 'keep writing' rule applied to your writing journal, not to your actual short story or novel.
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you're looking at is what writer's block truly is: a signal that something is wrong with the story. If you try to simply plunge through writer's block, you end up including the problem that was blocking you in the first place, which can sometimes be crippling. Take a step back, figure out what's wrong, and fix it before continuing to write. And don't be afraid to toss out stuff you've already written, or even rewrite from the beginning if necessary.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

Maybe the rule should be: keep imagining the possibility. Because to some people, they write the imagination, others imagine, then write the results... ...

so maybe its just the process of opening your mind....

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble with most writers is that they have a hard time finishing things--thus those who take 10 years to produce one book. And thus the reason publishers and agents do not take unfinished ms from first time novelists--most never finish that great novel.

Write always means literally write everyday. Set a goal and write that amount of words every single day even if they are crap.

This way your train t he creative part of the brain to come out when you sit in the chair at your alloted time. Like any habit it takes 6 to 8 weeks to develop fully. Once you do get in the groove of sitting in your chair at X time a day (my main time is 10 pm to midnight) the creativity will come and writer's block will come less often.

I forget who said it first but: The only writers who get writer's block are those who have another form of support.

In other words write like your next meal was dependent on this written work.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

See that advice almost did me in. I wrote through an entire year like that, and because everything was so forced, it sounded forced. I have since scrapped that entire project and am writing a more natural way -- i think about the material, and when it comes, it flows on paper like wine.. without the bad cliches -- and the great thing is, i enjoy it MUCH more, get A LOT more done, and it reads A LOT BETTER ... !

of course, saying this i well accept that i have not entered the professional market, so my words come with a grain of salt...

Christine
Member # 1646

BIC is better advice that keep writing, IMO. BIC means that every day, every day you are making progress towards the completion of your novel, whether it is planning, outlining, or punching out words.

Let me put it this way....I am working on my first murder mystery right now. It's a tough type of thing to write. I wrote and wrote every day like I was supposed to until one day I realized I had skipped evidence, testimony, and important interviews. Any one of these things alone I could have just made a note of and kept going. People told me "keep writing, don't look back!" but how could I keep writing when half the stuff I wanted to refer back to never happened in my version of events?

So I did keep writing. I went right back to the beginning and started over, with a crisper outline and a more detailed description of when I had to plant clues and red herrings. It's working much better, but not for the "keep writing" advice.

cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep writing.

Well. I write in a journal (story and otherwise, jumbled into one. You should try it, if you don't. It's very therapeutic. And free!), and I'm working on a novel, a comic book miniseries(*shrug* ), and several short stories. So I write. And write, and write, and write.

It's good. Sometimes, like cgamble has said, the words flow like wine, but othertimes, they flow like frozen wine.

So I don't write. Is that terrible of me, as a writer? That I can go days without writing a single creative word?

I don't think so, because while I'm not writing anything new, I'm editing the old stuff, going through the novel, the comics, and the shorts with a fine-toothed comb, making sure that there are no spelling errors or inconsistancies (because that's the reach of my editorial skills, remember...).

So, after a long, revealing, and somewhat useless rant, I've come to this conclusion: A writer should keep writing (Billy Crystal's Throw Momma From The Train character's motto comes to mind: "A writer writes. Always"), but it doesn't have to be new.

Just my opinion,
Cristian V. Gurau

PS--am I the only one who thinks that the window below the posting space is too small? Is that just me?

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited June 25, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I had to post a reply just to see if I agreed with you...and yes, it might be better if it took up a bit more space.
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think BIC is a bit different for me. I set a time limit to sit there, but I don't set a writing limit. Since I pull out my ethernet cable before I sit down each morning, I eventually get bored, start going a bit nutty, and usually start writing. But if the writing never comes, I say that's OK. And after a few weeks of BIC the writing started coming more easily.
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

What is BIC ?
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
BIC = Butt In Chair
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that working on two stories at a time keeps me writing every day. When one story isn't going so well I can turn to the other. But to do this, you have to believe that when you hit an impasse in your story you have to wait until you subconscious solves the problem. Though this hasn't happened yet--but I think it might with one of my works in progress--a story might sit around for several weeks before you can return to it.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I've not been one to give the impression that plowing your way through writer's block involves forcing yourself to keep staring at the text of your WIP, or worse yet, filling your WIP with trite garbage.

But I believe, as has been said above, that writing SOMETHING every day is crucial, simply for self-training purposes or to keep the mind exercised. Journals, writing exercises (which can often turn into the roots of story ideas), poems, even clever posts on Hatrack.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer's block can stem from any number of sources, from bad plotting to fear of failure. Granted, the writer is usually in the dark as to the underlying reason, but 'keep writing,' even on the blocked work in progress, can be apropos.

If the block is lack of confidence or fear of failure or something other than a structural problem with the WIP, and the writer skips to another project or journal or whatever, he'll merely join the legions of would-be writers who never finish anything and can't figure out why.

Having others critique a blocked work may help. Feedback is essential. Even if it's bad, the fact that someone took the work seriously gives it a legitimacy the writer may need. I'll go out on a limb and say that writers who hobnob with other writers -- in critique groups, conferences, classes -- have a greater likelihood of finishing and publishing than those who don't. (Another 'Duh!' moment, brought to you by Kolona. )

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.