Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I just finished the first draft!

Author Topic: I just finished the first draft!
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited! I just finished the first draft of my novel! It needs a fair bit of revision--I want to add one major thread, and adjust the weight of some others, and change the perspective on a major issue to heighten the tension--but the draft is done!

Right now, I'm struggling with the question of how to do all that. I'm having a lot of trouble balancing my perspective on this--seeing the big picture, so I can figure out where the changes shoudl go, but also seeing the details so I can figure out what the changes should be. I started a scene-by-scene outline, but it wasn't going well. My husband thinks a timeline would be better. I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Eljay (the tired--I had my wisdom teeth out Wednesday, took my husband and kids camping for the weekend, and finished the first draft this afternoon)

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
You rock!

Congrats!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
La' klan
Member # 2069

- posted      Profile for La' klan   Email La' klan         Edit/Delete Post 
I as well wish you the best of luck with your next draft. I am new at this wrinting thing, but usaully, for some reason, after I finish the first draft I feel it is harder to write the second. I think it feels like I have a good story plot, then when I am revising I feel like I should change a little thing, but then I completely change the whole story. Example: right now I am writing a story in how a cop talks to a "mystical being" in a interview. well, guess what in my first draft I had a phycyatrist talking to him. plus I made the "mystical being" a good guy instead of the bad guy. You can probably imagine how hard it took me to convince myself to completely change the story line, but I know that after I am done with it I will be glad that I did change the plot.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo Hoo! That's awesome Eljay

As for what you asked... Other than making some notes on your thoughts for the new thread, and some adjustments you want to make, I'd say "put in it a drawer" and forget it (!) for a while. A few weeks if you can. You are too close to it. Write something else, go camping again

Then, when it's been out of your head and you can approach it fresh, take it out again (open the file). Have a notepad next to you. As you read, make notes on what you notice, what you want to do, on the pad. Don't mess with the draft yet, because as you read you may change your mind about some things you've written down.

You're perspective will be better after time.

After you've read the whole thing again, and made notes, you can revise. You can even make the timeline as you go along, or the scene-by-scene outline (might be better if anything is out of chronological order). You can do both!

Just don't try to do it now. You are too close to it (yeah, I already said it, I meant to repeat it), and too much is running through your head. Write a short story instead!

I admit, my thoughts are mostly from King's "On Writing" - but I knew most of it before reading his book... and I know it works for me - amazing what you catch and realize and think of even just a few days after finishing something... buy some tub crayons for the shower!

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, don't rush into your second draft. Let it cool for about two months. Work on something else for a while--some short stories or a novella, perhaps.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the congratulations, Eljay.

And ditto on the advice as well. Let it sit. Write something else. Then make your chapter outlines, or timeline, or whatever seems like it might help at that time.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

I had my wisdom teeth out last Tuesday. May I recommend vanilla yogurt mixed with unsweetened applesauce as a yummy and nutritous gummable breakfast?

Everyone is offering excellent advice on the novel. So, I'll just second them.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

Actually, the wisdom teeth were no big deal. I was crunching normal food (carefully) less than 24 hours later. Mine weren't impacted or anything--just local anesthetic and the regular dentist (not oral surgeon) yanked them. I had 4 first bicuspids removed when I was 12; the wisdom teeth were easier!

As for letting the novel rest--yes, I definitely plan to do that. I'm just impatient to go back and deal with inserting one particular thread I have in mind, because it will tie up so many loose ends and provide a lot more tension. Also, as soon as that's done, I plan to start on the next thing, and I'm afraid if I start the next thing before I add that thread, I may never come back to it!

Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can do what you want (of course), but that's probably not true. I'd write a summary of the sub-plot, put it with your manuscript, and let it sit for two months. You may decide the sub-plot doesn't fit, or better yet, you may decide the sub-plot would make a nice novel itself.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

I agree with the "let it sit for awhile" advice. Also, let me add another bit of advice. Don't try to focus on the big picture and the details at the same time. Go through and do a revision where you just worry about the big picture and nothing else. Ignore the details completely. Takes discipline, but it's possible. Then, when you have the big picture in order, that's when you can start paying attention to the details.

Just one way to do it. It works for me, may not work for you. Just thought I'd share.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet words, 'The end.' Enjoy the accomplishment. Congrats!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go!
Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. Personally, I finished the first draft of my novel early this spring and then started revising right away. In my case, by the time I got to the end, the first chapters had been sitting for 6 months anyway. For me it's been really exciting reworking things like the loose threads you mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited June 30, 2004).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! Ah, the triumph! Ah, the despair! I say that because I experienced a great deal of melancholy when I typed "THE END" at the bottom of that last page. And I'm not sure where it came from--like saying goodbye in a way.

Check out the discussion on "RE-writer's block and short story advice." You'll have to go back to the topic page and increase the number of days worth of topics to peruse (I think 75 will do it). It's on, oh, the fourth page of posts I think. There is some particularly pertinent advice from Kathleen.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when that first draft is done.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

I'm taking some of the advice and taking a bit of a break, anyway. I probably won't let it sit terribly long, but I've got a short story I started last night. It's COMPLETELY different--fantasy rather than science fiction, written in a totally different style, much more emphasis on images and setting as opposed to technical details.

I felt rather odd for a bit, unable to focus on anything. Yesterday was bad--I heard something on the radio that I couldn't get out of my head, but I couldn't figure out what to do with the image it inspired. Finally the story appeared in my head, more or less fully formed, while I was putting my kids to bed. It's shifted a little since then. (I originally thought it would be targeted at a young adult audience, but I'm starting to think the feel is wrong for that.)

I have no idea where to market this one, but I just love the story for its own sake.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.