Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » And yet another outlining thread...

Author Topic: And yet another outlining thread...
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Hicks was a comedian who believed that a good comedian makes people laugh, but a great comedian makes people laugh and think at the same time. A great comedian tries to better his audience, to enlighten them in some way.

I’ve thought about it, and I’ve decided that I agree. That is that makes a great comedian. At the same time, it’s what makes a great writer, too. (It would have to be, or else I couldn’t post it here, could I?) A good writer pulls you into the story and distracts you for a couple of hours, or days, or weeks, or however long it takes you to finish the story, but a great writer will pull you into a world that you don’t want to leave. A great writer will create a page-turner that, when you’re done, will make you want to put the book down and stare at the ceiling, going “Why did that happen? Why did it happen like that?” or “How would I have done it differently? What if it really happened? What if I lived there, under that oppression, or slavery?”

A great writer writes about issues that affect the real world, without necessarily reflecting the real world (if that makes any sense), writing about themes and issues that run parallel to today’s world, that transcend time and space, and that can be heatedly discussed ten years from now, fifty, one hundred and fifty years from now, and still be relevant here, in France, Russia, Japan, or on the moon.

That’s a great writer. That’s who I strive to be.

I just thought I’d share that with you. Just ‘cuz.

“I’m going to share with you a vision that I’ve had. ‘Cuz I love you. And you feel it. You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense every year? Trillions of dollars, correct? Instead, instead, just play with this, if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world, and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded, we could as one race explore outer space together in peace, forever.”

--Bill Hicks, “Sane Man”

CVG

PS--Okay, no more coffee in the night time. It’s way too weird. It makes me rant. It ain’t pretty when I rant. Obviously. *shrug* [sighs, coughs uncomfortably, and quickly gets off soapbox]

PPS--About the subject title: I’m just playing.

Had you going, though, huh?

edited to add:
PPPS--Bill Hicks: not for the young or easily offended, but he does have some interesting views on the JFK assassination, the cross that Christians and Catholics wear ("do you think that when Jesus Christ comes back he ever wants to see another cross?), and music with soul.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited July 11, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
So, has writing "outlining" in the topic field become the same as writing "SEX". Just a cheap ploy to make people look?

That said, I think you make some interesting points.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. I just thought it would be funny.

Other than that...thanks.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited July 11, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's why everyone should read books by Terry Pratchett. Funny, and they make you think.

[This message has been edited by Eric Sherman (edited July 11, 2004).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
CV - you'd like the bumper sticker that says:

"Imagine if our schools had all the money they needed, and the Air Force had to have a bake sale to buy a bomber?"

Sort of along the same lines. I forget the organization that has that motto, but as a teacher I always liked it.

Actually, I wish we could have some of that money go to making it possible for people to feed and clothe themselves - to have the circumstances in which they can do it, as opposed to relying on charity. Some will have to go to defense until the have nots become haves, and don't need to go after what the haves have!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“I’m going to share with you a vision that I’ve had. ‘Cuz I love you. And you feel it. You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense every year? Trillions of dollars, correct? Instead, instead, just play with this, if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world, and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded, we could as one race explore outer space together in peace, forever.”

--Bill Hicks, “Sane Man”

Bill has obviously never bothered himself to so much as look at a pie chart of our national budget. It's one of those "nice ideas", like saying "let's give the Sun lots of icecream on hot days, then it wouldn't be so hot!"

Sure kid, good thinking there.

By the way, I'm writing a book that essentially has as its thesis that it'd be cool to live as a war slave of the Evil Empire, so make what you will of my comments.

P.S. I don't think that Christ will have a huge problem with the crosses (particularly ones made of silver). It's the crucifixes that would be creepy.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
<i>I'm writing a book that essentially has as its thesis that it'd be cool to live as a war slave of the Evil Empire, so make what you will of my comments.</i>

Yikes. Programming for Microsoft, cool! That's what I call SF.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.