Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Bouncing ideas

Author Topic: Bouncing ideas
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is my idea bouncer. He knows as much about my fantasy world and my book as I do. Even though he doesn't write and doesn't have time to write, he still comes up with some awesome ideas to throw around. He is also my reader. He reads everything that I write then tells me his open and honest opinion. If there's a problem, he gives me two or three possible ways to fix it.

We spend hours on the phone...sometimes not saying much, just thinking, writing and bouncing ideas off each other. But now, he's so busy (that life thing came and ate him) that I can't have more than a 5 minute conversation with him without being interrupted. Makes it really hard to have inspiring conversations. The results of this? I can't write! I've come to depend on him being there to listen when I've got a difficult question or help me with a chapter. Telling me what's missing or what should be taken out and saved for later.

So I guess my question for everyone would be: How do you bounce around ideas? What keeps you going through the thick and thin of your writing? Do you have someone you can turn to? I need some ideas to get going again...another source of motivation

[This message has been edited by RillSoji (edited July 13, 2004).]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
my wife is my idea bouncer, for starters. My alter ego is second.

When my wife is not around to harass about my next lame idea for a story, I have only myself (or the cats, but they tend to ignore me after the first 10 secs.)

So, I call up Mr. Alter Ego -- he's the evil one -- and we have a chat. He automatically disagrees with everything I say and puts out an alternate explanation / idea. Works for me... but it does require going off the medication for a short time.

*tic*
*tic*

This forum seems a likely place to make a friend for idea bouncing, incidentally.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past I've had others to bounce ideas off of and that really works well for me. At present I have no one. Unfortunately my husband isn't into SF, F, or H, or any derivative thereof. He'll read or listen if I force him to but he really doesn't offer anything constructive.

That's probably one reason I've not gotten much written in the past! I am learning different ways of coping from this site, though, from suggestions on the message boards. I'm finding it particularly helpful now to answer series of questions, such as character sheets or story development questions. I've saved the questions as master sheets and answer the same questions about each character or story.

This forces me to think more in depth about them, to see where I am missing information and need to develop more fully, and to recognize the strengths and build from there.

I'm also keeping in mind the wonderful advice that's been repeated here numerous times: take ideas and combine them. That's probably the single greatest piece of advice I've found so far! Thanks, guys, ya'll are the best!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean Susan...I can only get my husband to read my story, or listen to my ideas if I force him to. Even then, though, his eyes glaze over. *laughs* What's a girl to do?
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I have split personalities, and that's working for me. Some of them don't really like reading or writing, but Robbie's into it.

Other than that, though, I don't have anyone. I'm the bookworm in my family. Everyone else is into sports, or cars, or both.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my husband...I just talked his ear off on our six-hour (one way) drive to his parents house for the fourth. I worked out all the issues I had with my novel and discussed ways to make the rewrite (I'd just finished the rough draft) really come to life. He just sat there and drove, nodding and offering encouraging remarks. I suppose I may as well have been talking to myself, but somehow saying it out loud to someone who was actually there works well for me.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I've spent the last several years without being able to write something creative. It seemed like every idea I had would wash out or drone on.

I still liked to write so I put my energy into writing non-fiction. I went to college and started studying journalism (I've since put that on hold ). Recently I got a an idea, let it ferment for a week or so and then started to write. I was surprised at what actually came out.

Sometimes writing or reading or doing something completely different will get your mind going in a new direction and breed some new ideas.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I go talk to the goats, unfortunately, they think everything is "Baaaad".

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I happen to have a job right now that requires little brain power. In the in-between moments when I'm not busy, I just start daydreaming about my stories, what needs to happen next, who is this character, and the like.

I have no idea what I'll do once I find a real job (which will hopefully be soon).

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those alter-ego's too. We talk, go over dialogue, explore character and storyline--out loud. My kids know not to knock when they hear mom murmuring behind the bathroom door.

But, as HSO said, this forum might be just what you're looking for--in multiple!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband is my sounding board. He's way smarter and much more brutal than me! (He's the SF/computer geek. I'm the hopelessly-flawed romantic.) He tells me when I'm getting too predictable, or when my idea is just too-- er, silly.

Unfortuantely, being the critic he is, he hasn't really gotten excited about much I've written; except the little stories I've created about my kids. And then he may only clap and laugh because I peg the characters so well, and get the family jokes right!

Maybe if I moved away from fantasy and into SF, he might like my stuff more... But no-- it's not gonna happen!!!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
There's not really anybody I discuss my stories with before I write them. I have a few friends who read most of what I write, which is often helpful, but generally I've only got people I find online to discuss such things with. There's another site I use that has a chat room where there's usually somebody around to talk about anything you want to discuss, which is helpful.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I bounce my ideas off a few people that I've met on here and they let me know which way to go with it. Other times to keep going with what I have, and which way not to go..

They all know who they are

It also is the only one that I'm doing right now as well.

-Bryan-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
My radioactive cat is very helpful.

I try to use a variation on the 1000 ideas scenario. Then I send the story out to a couple of folks in the early draft stage for reader responses. Some of the people on the board will argue with me (Darth!) which forces me to fix things that I might not otherwise see as a problem. That give and take discussion is incredibally helpful.

When I'm creating a show for theater, I always have collaborative partners and I sometimes feel a little lost without that network.

Just in case I haven't said it. You guys have been great.

MaryRobinette

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband happily listens to my ideas, reads what I've written, and gives comments.

The 'but' - Jon is a 'vast storehouse of useless knowledge' - so this is often what happens.

Me: "I have this idea..." and go on to explain.
Him: "Oh yeah, that reminds me of..." and pulls out the exact old issue of Asimov's featuring a story like I just described!

Or he might pull out a book, or tell me about a story he's read...

So maybe I'll avoid making a mistake of ignorance in writing a story that's been done. Or at least be able to make one fresh and new. He makes me take the story deeper, to new levels. I think I'll keep him!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit it, I talk to myself...it is much easier for me to understand myself as well. There does seem to be a drawback; I seem to agree with myself quite a bit.

One of the reasons I come here is to watch other people complain, give me that warm fuzzy feeling to know I don't suffer alone.

Ok, just kidding...well about the second paragraph. This place keeps me looking at new things, and gives me a few new ways of looking at things.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to my husband about ideas for novels, both before and during, and I give him each chapter as I finish it. For short stories, I find it works better not to talk about them too much until I've finished a draft. Then he reads it.

He's read science fiction his whole life (like me), so he's very comfortable with the genre, and (like me) he has a background in science. He's not afraid to tell me something isn't working, either.

When he's not available, I make notes to myself, or talk out loud to myself. (My kids are used to it--we're heading to the library, and Mom is mumbling about some people they've never heard of. They're still young enough to assume that's normal.)

I've always written, but only now do I always finish things. Knowing my husband wants to read them helps with motivation--who wants to go through weeks of someone demanding to know the ending?

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pisigri
Member # 2098

- posted      Profile for pisigri   Email pisigri         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, guys, I'm the newest member (I guess) and English isn't my native language, so please be gentle with me...
But I was just wondering: being a real writer doesn't mean being able to find ideas, by yourself, in all the important or less important things that go arround us? I mean, we should never find ourselves stuck because the source of ideas has a busy life, or because our friends don't bother to read what we had written... I have no real experience in writing, because in Romania one can't find people who give reasonable advice on how or what should be written, but...as far as I can remember, most of the real artists were pretty lonely fellows, weren't they?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I'd love to hear your husband's take on that drive.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer's one of the lonliest jobs in the world, yet its is also the one that requires the most feedback. I don't think too many people went to Leonardo's workshop to tell him: That painting of the woman, it's good, but I didn't feel INVOLVED in the character... and the setting is a bit vague. I like the theme though.

Go figure.

Anyways, I am new here too. looks like a good place to feel less lonely

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pisigri
Member # 2098

Well, Babylonsfreek, that's exactly what I was trying to say, but you put it in better words. As for the second part of your post...I guess this is more than just a place where you can feel less lonely...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three personalities, the writer, the weirdo, and the flump. (please don't ask me what Flump means.) You guys get the writer, and at times the weirdo. But when I need criticism I go to the Flump, he lives in the real world and somehow knows things that I didn't tell him.
But as for real-world people I have a real good friend that speaks the same language. In fact I'm collaborating with him on my WIP. I can talk to him and He knows what I mean.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

Okay, I won't ask. I'll guess. From the context of it, I take Flump to mean a no-nonsense character who gives a fair critique and is not afraid to sting you with harsh words, if it benefits the story.

Close? Yes? No?

pisigri, as a fellow Romanian (the only other one, I think, but it's hard to know for sure), I'd like to say welcome. Bine ati venit.

CVG

babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, so it DOES help to have multiple personalites!

Sush Joe, I've told tyou to go away.

You're too harsh on him!

Hey, I never asked YOU.

Guys, guys, calm down I...

Let's beat him up guys!

Please someone hel

cvgurau
Member # 1345

Yeah, those conversations are the best.
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the split personality, the sister on hand, and the group of friends (but only as a last resort, 'cause they think I'm weird when I start talking about an imaginary world at the lunch table)
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

My friends got used to it. Now they think I act weird when I talk about the real world.
pisigri
Member # 2098

I think everybody has more than one personality, and I find it pretty normal, as we need to adapt to all kind of environments and people. The only thing about it is to avoid meesing them up..
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
RillSoji

Bounce them off me! I need the same thing and would be glad to be bounceable (is that a word?) if you will.

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.