Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Tintintabulation

Author Topic: Tintintabulation
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the joys of reading is that it expands your vocabulary, but do you find big words sometimes distracting? And by big words, I mean difficult or obscure words, not just long ones.

For me, I guess it's kind of how the language flows with the tone of the rest of the story. For an example, without actually having the book next to me to quote, I recently read Krull (Sorry don't know author offhand and it wasn't on Amazon in the 10sec I allowed myself to search, but people who bought the movie also bought Ice Pirates and Flash Gordon ). It's not a complicated book, it's written like a simple linear fairy tale. And every once in a while he'd throw in these words that I had never heard before. For me, it was like <wrrrgh - record stopping sound>. Ok, useless without a quote from the book, I'll try and remember it tomorrow.

Was it necessary? Do you conciously try to incorporate new language into your writing? Have you ever been jarred out of a story with a word you dind't know or by a word that didn't seem to fit?

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I have difficulty concentrating on what you said in your post because you misspelled tintinnabulation.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
So, it's not just the words themselves, it's the type-o's too. Hmm, that's a different thread altogether. Well, like I said before, thank God for spell check.

edit: Ok, I think everything is spelled right in this post now.

[This message has been edited by Lorien (edited July 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Lorien (edited July 15, 2004).]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't consciously try to use new words in my writing, but I do consciously try to expand my vocabulary. I do this mostly by reading with a dictionary. I also have a notebook I keep with me as I read and jot down those relatively short and relatively common words I know, but do not use. I reveiw this list occasionally.

You must understand that you have two kinds of vocabulary--an active vocabulary, made up of words that you use, and a passive vocabulary, made of up words you know but don't use. (It's like knowing how to both read and speak French as opposed to just knowing how to read French.) The goal, I think, is to increase your active vocabulary as you can. Once a words moves into your active vocabulary, you'll be able to use with without consciously thinking about it.

PS -- But big words aren't necessarily the best words. What's George Orwell's rule? Don't use a big word if a smaller word will do the same job.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited July 15, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a short word for antidisestablishmentarianism?

Joke aside, I read with a dictionary next to me. I can't keep reading when i am not familiar with a word. I don't TRY to use that new word, but I've notice they happen to pop by from time to time.

That said, I do use big words, yes.
(Haven't antidisestablishmentarianism yet)

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's the question of what's a big word. I've had some folks flag things as "five dollar" words that are things that I use in conversation.

The only time a long word throws me is when its, either, rhthymically wrong for the sentence, or, at a point where it is impossible from context to figure out what it means.

I have yet to be able to use my favorite word, "alacrity," in a story because it has fallen out of style and now needs a very specific context to work. Alas.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends where the words are used in a story. If it's an action scene with a fast pace I want the reading to be easy with short simple words and sentences, if the scene is discriptive and lush then unusual words are wonderful.
My new favorite word is- scut- which is the white fur under an animal's the tail, specifically the hair seen as the deer or rabbit is running away . Try and use that one.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
The scut flashed in the darkness as the rabbit fled with alacrity.
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Its scut flashing every now and then as its tail whipped up and down, the rabbit fled as fast as it could. Being caught would be death.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited July 15, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
"You can kiss my scut," said Fluffy to the Wolf.

Flopsy fluttered her eyelids at Peter, "If you show me your scut, I'll show you mine."

Thumper turned to Mopsy, "I'm gonna kick your scut all the way home."

"You bunnies get your scut in this house this very instant," said Mrs. Cottontail

How's that?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then there's the question of what's a big word.

Well, perhaps the phrase "big word" isn't a good one. How about difficult or obscure words--words that are not relatively common.

My own thought is that you have to use the best word--the most precise word--you can, whether is common or not. But I think you should always use a more common word if you can. Though I read with a dictionary, that doesn't mean I like to stop to look up the words I don't know.

A problem some writers have is that they focus so much on "expanding" their vocabulary the S.A.T. and G.R.E. way that they don't work on "improving" their vocabulary by striving to master the vernacular.

BTW -- I too like the word alacrity, but my favorite "big word" is officious, which I have been able to employ in my writing (I've used alacrity as well).

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind the so-called 'big words' for the most part. If it helps me expand my vocabulary, so much the better and most of their meanings can be deduced by looking at context. But every once in a while you just get the feeling that the writer is using the big words to show off. I hate that. I picture them sitting at the computer with their Oxford dictionary randomly choosing obscure words and forming the story to fit them in.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone's interested, I subscribe to a word-a-day newsletter. Today's word was 'facile.' Meaning: Easy, simple, supreficial, fluent. Yesterday it was 'philodox.' Meaning: Someone who loves his or her own opinion. A dogmatic person.

You can subscribe by signing on to www.wordsmith.org. It's free. And don't be overly fearful of the ad adendum. Their ads consist of two line mentions of products and the links you can go to to find them. No pictures, no hype. Low key.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just happy to have moved transom and hackles from my passive vocab into my active *grin*
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrPopodopalus
Member # 1532

- posted      Profile for MrPopodopalus   Email MrPopodopalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the word "halcyon" as an adjective. "A halcyon summer," I think Fitzgerald used that quite a bit. Anyway, it's not necessarily a "big" word, just one you don't hear too often anymore (Unless you live in Halcyon, CA).

Amidst our arms as quiet you shall be As halcyons brooding on a winter sea. --Dryden.

(even though that's Halcyon n. not Halcyon adj.)

I'm done being off topic, thanks.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
If I come across a word I don't know, and I can't work it out from the context of the sentence it is in, then I will usually get up and look it up in the dictionary. I don't think I'm "jarred" out of the story, however... just pausing, really.

Still, I think word usage in stories should be equivalent to your actual vocabulary. That isn't to say you shouldn't learn new words, tho... A thesaurus is an excellent resource, especially when you are reusing the same words or phrases over and over again. At that point, it may become a necessity to learn new words -- even "big" words.

I find here in the UK that people have quite an extensive vocabulary -- far greater than the 'average' American. Some of it is cultural words, and others are not. Additionally, being a "wordaholic" and playing more games of online Scrabble per week than any normal human should, I can easily find a use for obscure and big words. But, I don't want my writing to sound pretentious... so I usually won't put in words like "Queachy" when I'm writing... tho' that's a great scrabble word.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited July 16, 2004).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen R Donaldson is the author who comes to mind for me when this topic comes up.

I ran across something like fifty words that I had to look up in THE WOUNDED LAND (for example) and was rather irritated to find that many of them were obscure and archaic synonyms for simpler and better known words in modern usage.

It seemed to me that he was showing off, and I didn't appreciate that, even though I learned some new words that I felt were worth knowing.

(Rather than stop each time and look the word up in the dictionary, I kept a list which had the word, the page on which it first appeared and whether it was in the top, middle or bottom third of the page--so I could find it and read it in context once I had looked the word up.)

Algis Budrys has suggested that reading works with words that you don't know may be part of what is called "sense of wonder" among science fiction and fantasy readers. He says this is because many such readers started reading books for adults while they were still children and thus experienced many works with words they didn't know. This experience of not knowing all the words may add a kind of mystique to such works, a sense of something more, something beyond knowing, that contributed to the "sense of wonder" and that feeling contributed to an interest in reading more such works.

Maybe Donaldson was writing the way he did in THE WOUNDED LAND because of a similar theory. <shrug>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Writers have to use some big words, otherwise vocabulary tests would be useless.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be slightly OT, but one thing that bothers me is when words suddenly become politically incorrect, and people who use them end up apologizing for a word the uneducated masses don't know the meaning of!

For example, the word "niggardly."

And I like using the dictionary to look up unfamiliar words while I'm reading-- the 1838 dictionary! (But then again, I mostly read the classics...)

*sigh* I guess I'm just old-fashioned...

[This message has been edited by Lullaby Lady (edited July 16, 2004).]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it isn't word length or familliarity that causes problems but word usage.

Notwithstanding the obsequious overtures of her mate, the hind flipped her scut at the hart as she leapt into the foliage.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Notwithstanding the obsequious overtures of her mate, the hind flipped her scut at the hart as she leapt into the foliage.

Sounds like the Discovery Channel to me... nothing wrong with that sentence.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think big weird words should be used sometimes. And they should be apperant what they mean in how they are used.

EX: "You like fish but not Tunafish? That's the most Demuggledited thing I've ever heard!"

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:

Personally, I like it, but I'm betting the average reader's eyes would glaze over at that one. Say, it really DOES sound rather like Discovery Channel!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Lullaby Lady, you go, girl! Especially when the 'educated masses' are politicians.

Pyre Dynasty, the age-old question occurred to me again: Why can you tune a piano but you can't tunafish? (I know. Groans all around. )

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
“Lookit her! Sashaying down the path flippin her tail around like that! There ought to be a law! Why, I can see her scut!”
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Should I take offense at that, Goatboy, or was that just a proximity issue?
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a proximity issue.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona: LOL! You are a HOOT!

You folks are so clever, and never cease to amaze me...

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
cue music. play.

You and me baby aint nothin' but mammals so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel...

Just reminded me of the song

You know, homonyms and synonyms can sure be a lot of fun too.

synonym...cinnamon.

Randomness.

O.K. I'll stop now.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

speaking of synonym & cinnamon... (Although I don' know how we got here) The hardest line I ever had to deliver onstage was in The Phantom Tollbooth. I had to say, "Here, try a synonym bun." It required deep, concious thought of my tongue and lips to keep from saying cinnamon.
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, that one's a bit of a tongue-twister. I just tried it twice and can't say it all: I keep coming up with synonym bum, instead.

WRT Stephen Donaldson, I've only read one of his books ("The Mirror Of Her Dreams"), but didn't find him using archaic words in that (that I noticed). Perhaps he was just trying to set an archaic tone for the book you read?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.