Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New here, hello, and question

Author Topic: New here, hello, and question
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya all. Been lurking for a bit and I think I'm going to like it here. I've been looking for a way to talk to people about my work and frustrations (mostly frustrations) and the wonderfully horrible lifestyle of writing.

My question: how do you escape?

Joking. I've been loving it since I decided to stop messing around, waiting for that oh so elusive inspiration and donning my gladiator suit every morning to fight in that arena. I actually sort of feel like a writer. That is, except on days when I get rejection slips, at which point I think of myself as a hack who should get out of the game. Of course, the next batch of queries goes out the next day.

I have a nice collection of rejection slips

Anyways, I've set my goals high for my first true foray in novel writing, and decided to commit a *gasp* series of 6 books, each book with its own arc and ending, and an overall arc and ending.

Here is the long-awaited question, thank you for your patience and not falling asleep. I promise my writing is not as long-winded and does not take forever to get to the point, like this note, which feels like my writing journal (and that is illegible)

so.

I've written 3 of the books. (3rd book is only in first draft, and I wouldn't show it to a monkey, but you get the point.)

Should I tell the agent in my query that this book is the first in a series, or just try and sell it as one book and worry about the others when I have my foot in the door?

thanks for your incredible patience (those of you who aren't already asleep.)

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. Looks like you have two questions. How do you escape? Which is actually something I find myself struggling with; you know those days when things are flowing and you can't get away from the keyboard.

As far as having multiple books in a series, what I've heard is that it differs for genres. Someone else will know with more certainty, but I think that if the book stands alone, that you should present it as a solo piece, and then mention, casually, that there are five other books set in the same mileau.

There was a discussion about this a month or so ago, you might try searching the archives to see what you can fine.

Mary

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Are these other five books actually sequels or do they simply occur in the same milieu with many of the same characters? In other words, does the bad guy keep coming back to fight the hero?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the escape question was more in reference to this forum. The answer to which is, there's no escaping! We suck everybody in and you can never leave. Enjoy your stay!

I have read that it's best to simply submit the one, and wait until negotiation to mention that you have a series. BUT I don't even have my first rejection slip yet, so take what I say with a fatty grain of salt.

[This message has been edited by TheoPhileo (edited July 16, 2004).]

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Not knowing to any degree of accuracy, I dare not venture an opinion for fear I might err.

How's that for wordy!!

Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks for the prompt reply.

My escape comment meant that there are days I wish I didn't NEED to write, because it's hard, its frustrating, yes it's fun, but wow.

That said, I wouldn't give that passion up for anything.

As for the books. Basically there is a vilain (although at times you wonder if it really IS a vilain of if the hero is just more or less stuck having to fight somone doing essentialy good things, just the wrong way.) and there is an overall vilain (same comment as above) who is pulling the strings, actually for a good cause (to save the world) but is doing it, again, the wrong way.

Was that even clear?

Anyways, it is the same hero, struggling to understand exactly who and why he is being manipulated, But each book has a self-contained plot. Each novel, I guess, is a complete subplot for the overall plot of the series.

Although each COULD be read independently (though it gets harder to understand of course) even book 1 leaves a big gaping opening and a big unsolved mystery at the end (near the final scene, one of the main "vilains" says somthing to the extent: there is more work to be done.

Does this help?

If not, shoot me.

babylonfreek
Member # 2097

Ok, it wasn't clear: there is a main vilain PER BOOK, and then an overall vilain

better?

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly sounds to me like you have a set of novels with recurring characters, rather than a series. Which is good because from what I've heard it's rare for a new author to sell a series these days.

So now I'll repeat advice I had from someone with a not insubstantial number of published novels behind her: mention that you have more novels available with the same character in your query letters. Publishers like to know that (1) if the book sells well they can give the readers another one and (2) that the author they're investing in is likely to produce more work in the future, and this achieves both of those.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It will also tell editors that if they like your writing, but don't quite think the book you sent them is the best, there are other books they may like better and may want to start with.

The word "prequel" comes to mind here. It is not absolutely necessary to start with the first book chronologically in order to build a readership.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

Thanks a lot for all the advice and the welcomes!

On the note of "prequel". The problem with the overall arc of the series(?) saga(?) or set of books however you want to call it, is that a major event happens in Book 1 that influences all following books. In fact, it introduces (CREATES) a new character who has a major impact, and whose presence needs to be explained.

I guess I will just mention I have more books coming with the same characters. I have heard that agents/publishers like to know the author they are investing in has more than one book in them. I just wasn't sure how to present the fact that I do not only have a couple more books in me, but a whole load of them.

At the risk of repeating myself, thanks to everyone for the feedback and the welcomes!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.