Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story titles

Author Topic: Story titles
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a story title pop into my head with no story to go with it. Anybody else ever do that?

Anyway, in case anybody wants to use it, the title is:

"Granny was a mean old man."

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I'm waiting for that story that will go with "To Follow the Lost Gander" and "Possum Crossing the Road Drunk."
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

When you get done with "Possum crossing the road drunk" be sure to let me know. I'd like to see how that one goes.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be intended for a bluegrass tune, but I don't write music.
goatboy
Member # 2062

Bluegrass? That tune was called "Dead skunk in the middle of the road." (I'm not kidding, that's a real song.)
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I've played that one as well as "Whiskey Before Breakfast" and "You married my daughter, but you didn't."
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read much Harlen Ellison?

Harlen Ellison is a big fan of the strange story titles, because for Ellison the story's title is the first line of your story. The more intriguing the title, the better, according to Ellison.

I don't completely agree with him--well, perhaps I should say that I'm not a big fan of strange titles for the sake of strange titles. But this isn't the point.

I suspect my point is this: Go and read Ellison, and see how the story connects to his title, and perhaps you'll be able to think up a story that will fit your title.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I do this all the time. It comes in handy when looking for story ideas for articles. I write the headline first and it helps with the rest.

I've also done it with fiction but it doesn't always work.

My current novel WIP started out as a title only idea and I was able to flesh it out from there.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
The short story I'm currently working on started out this way. It came from a combination of seeing corn fields, some lush, green and healthy, some sickly and yellowish, and the phrase that popped into my head: Blood Red Green Corn. That is now the working title of this piece.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.