Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Under consideration

Author Topic: Under consideration
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I just got a letter asking me to send the 1st 5 chapters in if my novel "is not under consideration at any other publisher." I sent query letters or packets to three other publishers but this is the first one I've heard back from.

The other pieces of the equation are that they got back to me 2 weeks after I sent my letter out. And it's Arthur A. Levine books, who published Harry Potter.

What do I do?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you waiting for? Send it.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Mary!

From what I've learned about subing novels, I believe you want to send it. Your novel doesn't sound like its under consideration anywhere else, just out looking to be put under consideration since you've only sent out queries. As to whether you want to tie your work up with this publisher, that is your decision (but as the publisher of Harry Potter, sounds like a good thing!).

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited July 18, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely send it. Now, if another sends you the same thing, then you let them know that Levine is currently looking at the first 5 chapters. Actually, this is where you might try contacting some agents. If you can get an agent based on a publisher's interest, then the agent can send it to as many other publishers at once as he/she/they want to.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it today, do not delay! I agree with RF, contact an agent or three. This could be a very good opportunity for you.

Congrats! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew. I was worried that "under consideration" meant, does anyone else have any part of this solicited or not. Right. I'm printing and mailing this tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary;

You always struck me as one who seemed to know what h**l you were doing. I guess this proves it. That is awesome news!!!

Now send the darned thing!! and GOOD LUCK!

Z

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Godspeed!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, print it and post it. And good luck.
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Congratulations and best of luck!
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Mary

Congrats and best of luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (which makes typing quite a feat!!!)

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise. Wishing you all the best, Madam.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news! I'd sure like to have a fantasy novel to look forward to reading during the wait between Harry Potter books.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic! Good luck with it. Here's hoping for a big, fat offer...
Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
You might include in your cover letter that it was submitted to three other publishers but that you have not yet heard from any of them. That way there is no misunderstanding over the status of your manuscript in regards to other publishing houses.

And... CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
May this good news bring you even more good news. Congrats!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so awesome, Mary!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. And I'm adding my request; can we read it, too...?

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATS!

Of course it's good news! As stated above, if another publisher asks for it, say it's under consideration by someone else. If it doesn't pan out, you can always remind the other place you exist later.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
You go, girl! Send, send like the wind! Just remember, when the publisher wants to talk turkey re: contracts, tell them your agent handles all of that. Hang up and immediately contact every legit agent that handles your kind of book and tell them you have a publisher in pocket, please represent me. You should have no trouble landing someone reputable who will keep you from signing away rights you may not even realize you are signing away.

This is advice straight from one of the top YA publishers in the industry to me, who said even the most legitimate publishing company will take advantage of a new author in negotiations if they don't have an agent. So start shopping for representation now, and best of luck!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Mmmmwah! (big kiss to you all) It's printed, I've got the cover letter (with the mention of the two other publishers) and now I'm letting it sit before proof-reading the letter.

Let's give credit where it's due. At this point, all they know is that I have a darn fine query letter. Why? Because you all critiqued this letter for me when I was getting ready to send the manuscript out a couple of months ago.

Thanks for everything. You're the best.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! Now if only we were agents as well.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting all teary! This is great!!!

Congratulations and the best of luck. You are proof positive to the rest of us that there is hope!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
Congradulations and good luck!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.