Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » For the benefit of all

Author Topic: For the benefit of all
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
OK I have just finished a second draft of a novel, and I'm sure others out there have been in or will be in similar situations. I am ready to start thinking about publishers,

so for the benefit of all let's compile a list of good Sci-fi, Fantasy, and Sci-fantasy friendly publishers, perks and vices of each, general submission rules, and contact information.

Off hand I was thinking Tor would be a superb place to try, but I need other options, we all do.

As it is I'm a newbie to this and hoped I could benefit from all your collective wisdom.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Alias, there are several good lists out there already, including "Submitting to the black hole."
http://www.critique.org/users/critters/blackholes/sightdata.html

Do a search of the archives here and you'll find a nice list of other lists of publishers specializing in SF, F and H.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this site. It doesn't sort by genre, but once you find a list of publishers you might want to try you can find them listed alphabetically on this site where many of the publishers are rated based at least partially on input from authors who have or who are seeking to publish.

Tor is listed as Highly Recommended.

AND it might help if I actually include the link, hence the edit.

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pebt.htm

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited July 21, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
About the only big publishers I have found so far that still take unsolicited, unagented novel submissions in the SF/F field are Tor (which you already mentioned) and DAW. I think they're both worth a shot.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
And Baen. They also take electronic submissions, which sounds great to me. They'll probably have first chance at my current WIP when it's finished.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
on a slight tangent, I recommend to all (if you've not already found it for yourselves) that you visit this site:

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/

Hosted by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, the above web site has numerous helpful articles to help you in all areas of writing. I am not sure if they cover specific publishers, though. Still, this link would classify as: For the benefit of all.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited July 22, 2004).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all!
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the Writer's Market web site. If you're willing to fork over $3.99 a month, they've got a great tracking system and list just about every publisher imaginable. Some are small market presses, but I found a golden list of numerous publishing houses.

I simply find all those that match my criteria, then I add them to my current WIP and can track when each is submitted and what the responses were, etc.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.