Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Abusive Relationships in Fiction

Author Topic: Abusive Relationships in Fiction
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
In my WIP, I include a pair of characters who are entangled in an abusive relationship. As the story starts, it appears that the physically stronger character (Marta) is the abusive partner (well, she is, physically) but as the story line develops I want to bring out the manipulation and abuse of the stronger character by her physically weaker companion (Helmut).

And then, when Marta is severely injured, the tables are turned and physically Marta is now at the mercy of Helmut, and Helmut must make a decision.

But, I am not (thankfully) very familiar with abusive relationships, and I am looking for any guidance, references (fiction and otherwise) and ideas that you might have to help me convincingly move the relationship forward as the story unfolds.

To be more succint, HELP!!!!

[ I need somebody,
[ No, not just anybody,
[ Help! I need you....

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that, thankfully, I have no personal experiance in this.

However, I know people who have. A relative of mine was emotionally abused by his exwife and says that is much worse than phisical abuse.

From what I've heard, the best way to cope with any abuse is through supportive friends or relatives. If you want your characters to make it through, give them some support. Or, if a character is supposed to suffer a breakdown, keep back support--or worse, have the people that should support the victim disbeilieve that person and believe the abuser.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
There is something which bothers me about what you are asking. With the two cases of abusive relationships of which I have personal knowledge, in both cases the abused party was abused both physically and emotionally/mentally, and was in no way strong enough to have manipulated their abuser. Rather, the abuser was also the manipulator.

How did you intend that the "weaker party" should manipulate their abuser? In what way?

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have some experience with this, and shadowynd, I can tell you that the situation as mikemunsil describes it does happen, or at least a somewhat similar situation. I dated a girl who had been in an abusive relationship in the relatively recent past, and that's how her relationship worked. The man was the physically stronger one, and was very abusive physically, but the woman did have a certain manipulative power over him, which she used to its fullest. I wouldn't say she was emotionally abusive to him, but she definitely had power over him and manipulated him, more as a survival tactic than anything else.

Mikemunsil, unfortunately I can't help you too much with your question, but one thing I do know about are the lasting after effects of an abusive relationship. Wouls that help you?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

Yes, there are lasting effects from an abusive relationship, and not just upon the abused one, either. The children of such a relationship are also deeply affected, even if they are not themselves physically abused. Just being raised in a household like that is itself a form of mental and emotional abuse.

I was the child of such a relationship, though have never been in an abusive relationship myself. I swore I never would be.

Susan

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I have one usefull suggestion. Lifetime. I personally can't stand the channel. But my wife watches it. I sometimes get the overall story in very brief form. All I need to know. The thing it does have....messed up relationships, lots of them. Now the typical theme is the guy is abusing a woman in some way. But they throw in one or two woman abuses man themes as well. Ok, I'm exaggerating just a touch.

But I do have some fisrt hand knowledge of what it is like to be mentally abused. The first thing to remember is that physical abuse is visible...mental is not. Also in my case, the mental abuser (x-wife) wanted to be physically abused. It took me four years to figure that out, she was good at it, but that quickly ended our marrage. I reached a point where the thought of hitting her became a "happy" thought. I had no interest in going to jail, so I ended it.

Depending upon the mental condition of both characters, there will be many different possibilities on how the abuse ends up being exchanged. Was Helmut abused/molested/badly treated/tramatic experience or a long list of other bad things. The younger the suffering, the more messed up they get. I would imagine, and this is just a concept based all I've learned, anyone who uses manipulation well, would have a high probability of having been abused when they were young. It would have to be extended abuse where the physical threat was over them all the time. Learning to manipulate someone who holds that superiour role, would give the weaker person a form of victory over the one controling them. Naturally once they discover how easy it is to manipulate people, they fine tune it and use it all the time. Any situation would result in manipulation first, and if that failed...try a different tactic.

I would think that some of them would even look for a partner who would treat them in a manner similar to the tramatic time that caused them to be that way. For some reason they are more comfortable suffering, than when everything is good.

I could go on and on, but I do my best to not dwell on it. For this story you will need to do a bit of research. I would suggest comming up with a complete background, understand why each one acts the way they do. If you understand their personality, they will clash without problem.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Again, only the experience of a friend to reference.

She changed jobs, moved house - did the whole "give up everything" - to be with her partner. This didn't work out. He was physically and mentally abusive and she eventually left him. There was a certain element of the stalker about him which didn't help matters.

However, she still kept in touch with him. She moved again and got him to sell her car - then had to go and get the cheque from him herself etc. There are many more incidents of this type of thing.

I'm not entirely sure who was pulling whose strings. I'm no psychologist. Where one used physical strength to dominate, they both used mind games. I dont know if she got off on the drama of it or simply didn't realise that she was just fuelling his obsession with her. Both parties are to my mind abusing this relationship, but in entirely different ways.

I think LDS has it right. Work out the characters first. What makes each one tick? What makes them clash? Remember that they might not realise it about themselves - it might take another party to see the pattern.

Just my thoughts
R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If the "abuse" runs both ways, then it isn't abuse, it's codependency. The behavior falls into the same catagory as those who need a partner to engage in "sick" behavior so they can "care" for that person. In extreme forms, it can resemble Munchausen syndrome by proxy, where the codependent person actually takes a healthy individual and uses manipulation to provoke sick behavior (or actual illness).

While "codependenct behavior" is not a medically specific term, Munchausen Syndrome and Munchausen by proxy are both recognized. While this term is not usually applied to the sort of behavior often called "codependent", there are usually a lot of similarities.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What incredible responses! Thank you!

I see that I'm going to have to look at your messages very closely this evening when I have more time, as there is so much in them. However, what I can immediately see, is that:
1) I'm going to have to spend more time working on the history of the characters prior to the events of the story, to make the current relationship "work" so to speak
2) Co-dependency is important and I will have to work on that angle
3) I'm going to have to think really clearly on how important these characters are to the plot, because of the response I have received from you. I had intended this to be just a side-plot (don't know the real terminology, so please forgive the language) but if physical/emotional abuse and co-dpendency raise a strong emotional response in the readers, then the whole plot and the protagonists/antagonists warrant re-thinking.

Thank you again. This kind of thing is invaluable.

Mike

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Correct, Mike. A story about the kind of abuse you're talking about will evoke some pretty powerful emotional responses (assuming it's well-written, of course). Probably a wide range of different responses, but nearly all of them strong. Definitely something to consider. If that's going to overshadow your main plot, you might want to tone down the abuse thing a little bit. Something as powerful as physical, mental, and emotional abuse in writing is like onions in cooking--they'll take over the dish and overpower everything else.

On a side note, the kind of abuse and manipulation we're talking about is VERY often, probably almost always, accompanied by sexual abuse, at least according to my second-hand experiences.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

While I did not see any signs of sexual abuse in the two relationships to which I refer, neither that of my parents nor that of some acquaintances we knew many years ago.

Wonder what the "experts" say about the sexual abuse angle?

Susan

pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a reference on codependency with a lengthy list of features: http://www.heart-t-heart.org/Codepend.html

If you decide to use a support structure as a means of resolving the conflict, you need to decide of the codependent person is merely switching hosts or actually choosing to recover.

On the sexual abuse angle, I'd say it depends. It's no more categorically true than substance abuse, child abuse, eating disorders or excessive video game/computer use. Sure, at least one of those things is likely to happen but one can't tell exactly which.

Still, if one is in an emotionally abusive relationship and the sex is "normal", that's not normal. If you follow me.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited July 26, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited July 26, 2004).]

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cgamble
Member # 2009

- posted      Profile for cgamble   Email cgamble         Edit/Delete Post 
from what ive learned..

the manipulative one is usually drawn to the physically abusive, then uses the manipulation effect to survive and justify their existance with the physically abusive one. usually, the co-dependant, or manipulator has no real support, and only a few friends -- but the physically abusive partner will in ways strive to end those ties usually with fits of anger and threats, and the co-dependant will acquiese to these demands because in the back of their minds they will justify it as ok.

[This message has been edited by cgamble (edited July 26, 2004).]

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

The sexual abuse thing was not a statement of any kind of study or anything, just what I have unfortunately seen in the few abusive relationships I've had anything to do with. I don't know whether they were the norm or not.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding on sexual abuse (i.e. rape, etc.) is that it is about power and control and not the physical acts. There could very well be room in an abusive relationship for sexual abuse as well.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

I think at its base, codependency is the inability to distinguish between what one is and is not capable of controlling. So a codependent will both believe that his own actions were caused by someone/something else. And he may think he has control over phenomena which he logically could not (as in an addictive gambler).

Secondary gain from victimhood is another feature. That is, for some reason the person wants to be victimized. But it is very seldom conscious.

But if this isn't something with which you are familiar, why do you want to write about it?

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if this isn't something with which you are familiar, why do you want to write about it?

I am, and haven't had a single urge to write about it.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I knew there was danger in using such a loosely defined term as "codependent" when I used it.

I think that if a person stays in any sort of unhealthy relationship (and by this I mean any human relationship), you could call it "codependent".

For instance, "normal" sex (which is to say, the kind of sex found in a typical relationship) is usually somewhat emotionally abusive. Men and women seed different things from a sexual relationship. Whether the relationship is nominally transactional or openly adversarial, it is typical for each partner to view the relationship and the sexual act in terms of his/her own needs and desires. "I am in bed with you to get X, Y, and Z." Relationships where each partner is thinking more about what the other needs are the exception rather than the rule, and this always has been and always will be the case.

The same is not just true of "normal" sex, but of almost all interpersonal behavior. When we find someone that really thinks of the good of both parties, we recognize a saint.

It is also important that we recognize that a person that is fully conscious of and in control of an "abusive" behavior for understood gains is not an "abuser" at all. Such people use others, they do not simply abuse them, and their behavior doesn't follow the "pattern" of abuse. Rather, they commit each particular instance of "abuse" for specific, limited gains. We all occasionally get particular gains from doing something wrong, from lying (to avoid an unpleasant scene) to premeditated murder (for a million dollars). Because we do these things for the gain rather than for the thing itself, pathological liars and serial killers are less common than the ordinary liar or murderer.

For that reason, I wouldn't regard it as a criterion for "codependent" or "coabusive" behavior that the person doing it be consciously aware of "secondary gains" or anything like that. It is only necessary that the coabuser actually do things that worsen or exacerbate the abuse, and that "secondary gains" from the abuse itself be clearly recognizable from the outside. For instance, if a woman is involved with a man who is abusive and stays with him for gains that are unrelated to the abuse, such as avoiding poverty and loss of her children through divorce, then she probably shouldn't be called "codependent" any more than anyone else should be. But if she's staying because the "make-up-sex" is really great or because "he needs her" or anything like that, then yeah, she's almost certainly codependent and is likely to be semi-deliberately contributing to the abuse.

That's why I chose Munchausen Syndrome /by proxy as a good model. It's about the pattern, not the particulars.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, I'm going to need to you to post sources for this. You've got one paragraph up there that flatly contradicts everything I know, which means that the rest of the post is suspect in my eyes.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm..."codependent" loosely defined, relationships with humans unhealthy...men and women seek different things from sex...vast majority of humans are selfish...abuse conforms to a pattern...conclusions based on above...did I misspell Munchausen?

Looks okay...I could collect sources on most of these, but frankly I can also collect sources that say the moon is made of green cheese.

Anything in particular you found completely implausible?

pooka
Member # 1738

I don't know where you would get a source, but
quote:
Relationships where each partner is thinking more about what the other needs are the exception rather than the rule, and this always has been and always will be the case.
is a little bleak. Unless you believe the Sexual research, in which each party is only participating to act out their own script and not in a relationship-making activity.

I have been reading this weird book called "The Power of Now" where there is consciousness, or Now-ness. Then there is common unconcsciousness, or a normal level of anxiety, fear and regret. Then he talks about deep unconsciousness, which he equates to violence and other "thinking animal" quality behavior. I think sex is usally (unless it is your job) going to lead to deep-unconsciousness or a consciousness shared with a loved one.

In that casual sex has become more common, and there is a certain percentage of sick marriages, it may be that the majority of sex is co-abusive/deeply unconscious/resistant. But I wouldn't call it the exception rather than the rule.

Sex is not solely an expressive act, that can only be right if all the circumstances are ideal. It is also an impressioning act that creates the quality of the relationship. It can be both at the same time. The tendency in popular culture is to see it as expressive only. The view of waiting until marriage includes the impressionary.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm...I suppose that I was just making the point that pretty much all of us could be a good bit healthier. So if you're going to make a big deal out of the relationship being sick, it should rise to a clinical level of behavior, not just be the kind of little things that everybody does.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For instance, "normal" sex (which is to say, the kind of sex found in a typical relationship) is usually somewhat emotionally abusive. Men and women seed different things from a sexual relationship. Whether the relationship is nominally transactional or openly adversarial, it is typical for each partner to view the relationship and the sexual act in terms of his/her own needs and desires. "I am in bed with you to get X, Y, and Z." Relationships where each partner is thinking more about what the other needs are the exception rather than the rule, and this always has been and always will be the case.

This was what I had problems with.

Survivor
Member # 213

So...your experience is that this is never the case? How strange.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

My experience is that it is not the norm. There is absolutely no way to discuss this on this forum in any decorus manner.
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm sure that there is, but since the topic itself is fairly indecorous, I would say that I don't feel the need to find a way to discuss it in a decorous manner

I think that if we move away from specifically sexual relationships and look at all human relationships, then we can avoid making anyone uncomfortable yet make the point a bit more clear. The only reason I brought sex into it is because we have largely treated the question as though it were referring to an abusive sexual relationship (which it well may be, I don't know) of mike's inventions.

bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that when it comes to sex it is like any other relationship. Basically it depends on how you view the world. If you think that the majority of people have "friends" because they need people to watch their backs and give each other a leg up, then Survivor is right. If you think people acquire (however you spell that) friends out of either some sort of altruism or something else then he's wrong. Then again, there is always the possibility that neither of these is always true for any relationship, maybe it's not an either or, but more of a both. That's what I think at least.

On the abuse thing. There is a book called "Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty" by Roy F. Baumeister that's very interesting. The title sort of says it all. It has a section on abuse (or at least pieces of chapters) but it also looks at other kinds of violence. What's best about it is that it doesn't just look at the really f***ed up people, but also at the average person. I personally find the residual knowledge very helpful, both in writing and in acting.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Survivor

I hadn't really thoght of including sex in the abusive relationship I was penning, as I'm not at all sure that I could bring it off in a manner that would advance the story, and I have no interest in sensationalism. However, I've been "listening" to this entire discussion with a kind of fascinated horror, and I now wonder if I shouldn't bring the "possibility" of sex (and it's abuses in an abusive relationship) into play, if only to invoke similar fascination in the reader. However, that again would make the sideline too strong, and would take away from the story I started. Which story I need to finish, if only to prove to myself that I can.

And anyway, I took another look at my two characters...

>>Marta and Helmut

Nearby, near enough to see the flames glow in the mist, two travelers paused upon the riverside cartway. Marta, the taller and more impressive of the two, had seen more hard summers than was kind to mention. She was scrawny, and no man would consider bedding her without first dipping her for fleas, scrubbing her with lye soap, and perhaps, covering his eyes. Despite this, and plain to all, she moved with grace and an ease that showed years of training in the martial arts; training perhaps refined in the harsh school of war.

Her companion was startling, at first, in the physical beauty that showed through the dirt. Helmut could have been a god, from the waist up, and if his inner spirit had matched even that half he would have commanded armies, owned lands, and inspired fear. As it was he inspired only contempt in those who viewed him now. For if ever a man could have overcome the deformity of the twisted, stunted legs that bore him, surely the man of that face could have. Surely the man who wore that noble visage would encounter life head on, and demand respect, even from his enemies. But the man who crouched at Marta's side, trembling, was a thief. He stole hope from all who looked at him and saw the groveling wretch he was. He stole dreams from the eyes of the young and brave memories from the old; for he was a man who feared, above all, feared life and living.

Thus together they stood; Marta with hand upon her dagger and Helmut crouched and wary.<<

...and frankly the thought of sex between those two boggled my mind!!!!

Apologias

My apologies in advance to all you fine women who feel insulted by my description of Marta. Please remember, this is fiction and in this universe the men were neither overly polite nor politically correct. In sum, my "attitude" towards women in the novel is a fiction. Consider this, if I pissed you off (some of my critiquers were offended), then you were reacting to that uncharitable worldview, and I succeeded at least temporarily in creating the momentary suspension of disbelief.

Now, feel free to fire away, if you will. I'm a big boy. I can take it. And if I can't, I'll sick my Mom on you. She's 82 but still feisty!!!

Mike

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 29, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 29, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Marta is halfway plausible, except the "no man would consider bedding her without first dipping her for fleas, scrubbing her with lye soap, and perhaps, covering his eyes." From the character description, I'd think that it would be more apt to say "no man would consider bedding her if he wanted to keep his ability to sire children." That leaves it open as to what, exactly, about bedding her would cost him his virility, while fitting in with everything you want to imply about her.

Helmut I find frankly impossible. Utterly implausible.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Good to know, Survivor. Thanks!

Without asking you to rewrite for me, could I ask that you make another comment about why the Helmut character doesn't work for you?

I wanted a character who generated disgust in the eyes of the people who saw him, but who had potential to be more than he is. Am I just way over the top with this description? Perhaps I am trying to do too much in too few words? Perhaps he doesn't need to be physically disfigured?

Mike

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I think you should remember that there are more ways than appearance that can make someone unappealing. Reputation can make a big difference and can imply quite a bit. I know that there are quite a few women who get labeled as "slut", which implies quite a bit about thier activities. I'm sure there are other less abused words which can imply similar meanings.

Don't overlook the possibilities of desperation, some people who are not good socially can end up with people that are very messed up.

LDS

pooka
Member # 1738

I'll never look at an LDS chapel the same again, Lord Darkstorm. Just kidding.

Mike, I'm still curious about your motive, what you are trying to accomplish in this story.

In the fragment you shared, it seemes immediately apparent that Marta is the victim and Helmut the controller.

Let's see, what's a good movie we can have you watch to grasp the concept of codependence? I'm not coming up with one off the bat because in Hollywood they don't go for depth. Victims are victims and abusers are abusers in Hollywood. Even "When a Man Loves a Woman" which was supposed to be about codependence, didn't do a great job.

I guess one that comes to mind is Raising Arizona.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Pooka

Here is my intent:

In the framework of a fantasy novel, I wished to explore the ideas of obsession and abusive relationships as instruments of change on a grand scale.

To me, an abusive relationship is all about obsession and control.

So, here goes:

The meddling of an obsessive human sorcerer prematurely awoke a gestating godling. the woken/invoked godling invested itself in one of two characters who are obsessed, one with the other. The obsessive relationship is mutually abusive, and as the godling tends to learn from its host until such time as it develops its own personality, the premature "birth" of the godling into a faulty human host is fairly disastrous for all involved, and for the region in general resulting in great change.

I figured to engage the reader by having the godling invest in one of two otherwise insignificant and faulty human characters. The combination of human faults and godlike powers would cause events to occur that drive the action forward. Most of the other characters will be shown to be wildly scrambling just to survive, although at least one charater, the sorcerer, is so obsessed with acquiring silver that he ignores the potential danger represented by the nascent godling, until events move apace and he is done in by his obsessive greed.

There. ;-)

Mike

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 30, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Huh? If one of these characters is about to be invested with god-like powers and will act out patterns based on this co-abusive relationship or whatever, then I would say that it definitely can't be a sideline or whatever.

I'll put that aside, I suppose. You asked about Helmut. He's a man, right? What is the single most important physical feature of an attractive man? His stature. This is a combination of several things, body proportions, height, and posture are probably the big three. If all you can see is his head, then the posture and expression are of preeminent importance. Saying that a guy was great looking except for his deformed legs, groveling posture, and wretched expression simply makes no sense whatsoever.

If you tell me that a guy looks like a god from the waist up, I'll expect he's a centaur or something like that. Something that would clearly not impair his stature. If you said "on horseback, he would have seemed a god" I'll be prepared to believe that he has stunted legs or something, but still won't believe that he has poor posture and a mean expression.

It's a bit like saying that a woman has a great body--from the neck up. Okay, it's not a bit like saying that, if you said that it would merely be funny. It's like saying that a woman had a lovely face aside from the marked asymmetry of her features, the pockmarks, and the goiter that looked just like another face growing out of her chin. It's true, sometimes women with those features are lovely, but that's not the first thing you would say if you saw them, you would specifically state that on first glance such a woman appeared anything but lovely.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thanks, Survivor.

>>>Huh? If one of these characters is about to be invested with god-like powers and will act out patterns based on this co-abusive relationship or whatever, then I would say that it definitely can't be a sideline or whatever.<<<

But you haven't met all the other characters, so I' not surprised you're confused. You're assuming they are Marta and Helmut and that one of them will be invested.

Not so. And, I was intending to keep the reader guessing for quite a while.

>>>I'll put that aside, I suppose. You asked about Helmut. He's a man, right? What is the single most important physical feature of an attractive man? His stature. This is a combination of several things, body proportions, height, and posture are probably the big three. If all you can see is his head, then the posture and expression are of preeminent importance. <<<

Gosh, I wouldn't have a clue about what makes a man attractive, but IF I had to guess, I would have said, "his character".

Perhaps some of the ladies would weigh in? My guess is that there would be as many opinions as there are women, but I could well be surprised.

quote:
And can somebody PLEASE tell me how to quote so that it shows up the way you guys are doing it?

Oops! No need.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 30, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, well, you mentioned physical attractiveness (also leading armies and whatnot--so not simply ladies man looks either). But yes, he apparently doesn't have a very attractive character either.
pooka
Member # 1738

Helmut sounded less like a Centaur than a Satyr, but definitely the way he is described suggests some kind of Chimeric creature. I know that in our culture, it is possible for a cripple to have a chisled upper physique, but you have to take into account that in a presumably sustenance economy, there aren't folks exercising in their free time.

I'm not sure why you want to keep the reader guessing. Your relationship is to the story and characters, not the reader. If the reader can feel you trying to "get at him" through the story, I don't think that is how you get the love of the reader. If you are in love with your story and characters, the reader with then be attracted to it. Just as a sweeping overgeneralization on the whole philosophy of authorship :grin:

I don't have time to really digest your post, but maybe you can read up on obsession. www.ocfoundation.org

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thanks guys! You have made some good points and exposed some major weaknesses. I'm definitely going to read up on obsession, and rework the characters.

I think one of the more important points that I have learned here is that is that I can be much more subtle about rendering a character to achieve the results I am after.

Thanks again.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I now declare this topic dead.

Kaput.

Incinerated.

Ashes in the wind.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.