Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » invented languages

Author Topic: invented languages
dspellweaver
Member # 2133

- posted      Profile for dspellweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any idea of how the use of invented language is regulated? I am writing a book in which one of my main characters speak an elven-like language. I've decided that I have to invent my own language, however, there are some words in J.R.R. Tolkien's invented Sindarin language that I would like to use as well. I am just wondering what kind of copyright issues, if any, I would be looking at.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to invent an entire language or just some words in it? If the former...yeeek! I only hope that kind of things makes you happy.

Oh, I haev absolutely no idea about the legalities...I was just startled into responding.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen other works which use words that look to my uneducated eye remarkably like Sindarin words. ISTR reading a fantasy novel not too long ago which used the word 'moredhel', which I believe was borrowed from Tolkien's language, to refer to a race somewhat like dark elves, so this is probably OK.

I would be wary of borrowing more than a few words at a time though, and limit it to the more obvious ones -- those that you could justify as having become part of the traditions of the genre of fantasy are probably OK. Others, not so much.

Basically, we're talking about a very gray area. Be careful.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it!! Change the words a bit, make up your own, or change at least one letter, but do not make direct use of a work Tolkien created just because it look or sounds great. I don't know what the legalities are, but I'm guessing you'll risk angering a few fans if you "borrow" any of Tolkein's made-up words.

There are exceptions as Jules pointed out, but you need to be careful. Include only those words which have become a staple in the annals of fantasy lore.

Of course, the terms "Ansible" and "Xenocide" are fair use even though they clearly were coined by certain authors. So I doubt there's much legal implication. Still...I'd tread those waters very carefully and duplicate the words only if you have a valid need.

my 2 pennies

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about the legal side of things, but I remember reading somewhere that Tolkien used to receive entire letters written in his Sindarin. As I recall he seemed to like the idea of people using and even adding to the language he had created.

Because it is a language you might be able to use it just as you might use French, German or some other language.

However, because it was created by a specific authorm copyright may be an issue. I'm not sure at what point lit becomes public domain.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Do a search on this in the archives, there have been some interesting discussions. Meanwhile, I'd also suggest:
http://www.zompist.com/kit.html

It's a really comprehensive site on how and why to build an alien language. I think that knowing the basics of your invented language can inform you a lot about the world that the characters come from. Amoung other things, if they don't speak flawless English, knowing how their languages grammar works will help you understand where to break their English.

RE: xenocide: the reason 'xenocide' sticks around as a word is because OSC made it out of an existing language following the rules.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited July 30, 2004).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't do it, but just for artistic reasons and not because I think there is much risk of legal issues. To me, using elvish would make a work seem more like a fan fiction in the Tolkien universe and less like an original fantasy.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatracker Luc Reid has written an interesting and helpful guide to inventing a language: http://www.realmis.com/bootcamp/buildlanguage.htm
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dspellweaver
Member # 2133

- posted      Profile for dspellweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thank you guys so much for your help. Upon thinking about it, I am going to abandon using Tolkien's language (with the exception of "borrowing" one particular word) and invent from scratch.
In answer to Christine's question, I don't need an entire language but I need more than just a few key words and phrases. I want it so that if this book morph's into a sequel, which by the look of my plotline just might, I want to be able to expand the language as needed and still have it be recognizable by readers.
Thank you all for your input. I am always open for more (suggested reading, links etc).

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
I am using an invented language in my novel.
I call it "kalisulti"

To make it, I took the alphapitical and syntaxtual concepts from Cebuano, then changed some things: adding vouel sounds and changing some letters.

I then take words (from English, French, and Cebuano, with a sprinkling of prefixes and suffixes from Greek and Latin, and a couple words in Tahitian,) and alter them to fit my language rules. I throw in made up words and sounds to add body and variety.

Each time a character speakes in Kalisulti, I note what they are saying, and so some of my nonesense words are used many places and become recognisable--like the words for God, hello, and goodby.

To illustrate how it works for making new words, "Kalisulti" means "beautiful speech" when you note the Cebuano root word with the altered Greek prefix.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
If your writing Fantasy I think it would sell better as a series or trillogy. And what most say they're looking for is Tolkein but different.
As to the language good luck, I think it would be a nice Homage to use one of his words. (Although I've heard the Tolkein people are stiff on copywrite issues.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a thought that I'm going to try myself. (but this is only theory at the moment.)
look in a (insert-some-other-language) to english dictionary. preferably not a latin derived language.(unless that's what your looking for.) or even better a language text book.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a couple languages I invented for my WIP, and I had a lot of fun doing it. You by no means must follow the entire process all the way through. I just have alphabets, grammar and pronunciation rules, and a handful of words (20-30). A consistent set of rules will help make the sound & feel of the language much more consistent for the reader, and more real.

The linke MaryRobinette posted above is good, and will help you see why certain things should be done in a certain order in the creation process. (You'll need to be willing to flex a bit on what you already have)

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.