Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Can I write a depressing story?

Author Topic: Can I write a depressing story?
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick poll. Is anybody absolutely repulsed by short stories that end badly? (and I do mean badly. I don't mean everybody dies, but say everybody loses something, and the goal that the characters set out to accomplish is not attained - yes, I suppose they could learn something about loss, but still...It would hardly be uplifting).
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends.

There are good bad endings and bad bad endings. Have you ever seen the movie Pay it FOrward? If you haven't, I'm about to spoil the ending fo ryou very badly so avert your eyes until the next paragraph....go on....turn them away...Ok. I even cried at the end of that movie, but thinking back about it later I realized that it was a cheat. I mean, the kid just died. It didn't have to happen, there was no plot-relevant reason for it to happen, nor did it seem like a natural consequence of anybody's action. It was just like, oh, how can we make this more dramatic? Oh yeah, the kid dies! What a cheat!

YOU CAN LOOK NOW.

Anyway, bad endings need to flow naturally from the context of the story just as much as good endings. They must seem right, real, and while not necessarily expected, not something I look back on later and think you were just trying to be depressing. If you can do that AND make me cry, you've got a winner. (I don't cry easily and often, but it can happen.)

Let's see...good bad endings..>Beaches with Bette Midler in it...way back in the 80's. That was the first movie that ever made me cry and I loved it. Deep Impact had an amazing combination of happy and sad ... or more like sad but hopeful.

You know, I keep listing movies and I think it's because I've run across very few books that end this way. I keep searching my memory and I'm coming up blank. I'm sure I've got something. I'm going to go look through my bookshelf.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
The ultimate good bad ending--"Awakenings." Holy crap that was sad, but what a fantastic movie. I will say no more.

As far as books, "Lost Boys." Probably one of the biggest tear-jerkers I've ever read.

I have no problem with a depressing ending. Fiction is reflection of life, and life has bad endings.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I like sad stories, if they justify their sadness. The best one I can think of is 'The Cold Equation' sorry I can't peg down the Author. (but I'd wager someone here can)
It's horrible but satisfying.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's The Cold Equations, with an "s", by Tom Godwin.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody ever see "Live and Die in L.A."? It is an eighties movie, with the lead guy from C.S.I. and Wilem Defoe. It had a "bad" ending, but I thought the movie was good. Nobody got what they wanted, and it was back to the same old scummy life, even after the "bad guy" was dead.

And a couple of others, that I'd rather forget: Leaving Las Vegas, Seven, and 8MM. The "evil trio" of movies with bad endings.

As far as books go, if I remember correctly, some of Moorcock's "Elric" stories don't end in a good way. He is after all an anti-hero. They aren't my favorite, but it is pretty good writing.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Riddle me this...

How many tradgedies did William Shakespeare write, especially compared to his comedies?

One of my favourite sad ending books was The Prairie by James Fenimore Cooper.

I balled my eyes out for at least 20 minutes when Nathaniel died. Sure, he was about eighty or so, but I read all five books and saved that one for last and I felt like my best friend or favourite relative had just died.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Oz had something interesting to say about tragedies on stage as opposed to the screen, and I wonder if it applies to books as well. "On stage," he said, "when the characters die, you get to see them again at the curtain call, where you can applaud for them. The applause is their happy ending. In a movie, they are just dead."
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Oh yeah, TruHero, I forgot about "Seven." Possibly the least happy ending in the history of stories. Man, that was depressing.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Mike's vote for ON THE BEACH. I didn't read another thing by Nevil Shute for years because of that book. (And he's written some pretty good other stuff that I am just now discovering.)
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot; Nevil shot himself through the temple!!!

Hmm. Is that the correct use of a semicolon? I have always had trouble with semicolons.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks correct to me, Mike.

Most people have trouble with semicolons. They're mainly used to connect a fragment of a sentence to a complete sentence when both are very closely related.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Remeber, it's a lot easier to end a short story on a sour note than a novel. Just don't have a depressing ending for the sake of a depressing ending. I'm not a fan of nihilistic fiction.

Also, you don't want to have a sad ending for purely sentimental values. Trying to sqeeze a few tears out of your readers. That's just as bad as having a good ending because you want to send them away with happy thoughts.

Rather, the ending should logically fit the narrative you've told as well as the themes you've presented. The ending of the movie SEVEN--which has been mentioned--is the best ending for that movie, because the whole point of the movie is to show that anyone is capable of doing that which they despise, given the right circumstances.

Let's not forget that THE LORD OF THE RINGS also has a sad ending. Middle Earth is changing . . . for the worse. The elves are leaving, and Frodo must leave as well. It's not a bad or depressing ending, but it is poignant and somewhat haunting. I suppose that would be my aim if the story demanded a sad ending.

I wouldn't call the ending of SEVEN a despressing ending as much as it was highly distrubing. And distrubing endings certainly fall under the rubic of "bad endings."

For the life of me, I can't think of a story I've read or a movie I've seen that's left me "depressed." I agree with Mr. Willy that the ending of SEVEN is very distrubing, as is the ending of Graham Greene's novel, Brighton Rock.

But I think the most "depressing" ending I've experienced is Clive Barker's The Damnation Game. The climax is distrubing, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's the very ending of the novel--the denouement--in which Barker clarifies one the "theme" or meaning of the novel, and it's pretty damn depressing--because he's right.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited August 01, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for bluntness, but the answer to your question:

"Yes. Enjoy. "

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Well said, Phanto. You mean it's possible for writers to answer a question without writing a thesis on it?

rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
"Shindler's List" -- the only movie that ever made me cry at the end (although for entirely personal reasons, "Radio" came very, VERY close). I don't know why, but for some reason that ending just gripped me. See the main character release his emotions so suddenly and so completely just struck me.

Sometimes a sad ending does indeed work. But as has already been said, it has to fit logically and make sense.

And I love Mary Robinette's reference to theater. I would say that Les Miserables has a terribly sad ending, but I feel content each time I see it. And perhaps that IS because of the curtain calls.

(Funny side note: The last time I went it was to chaperone a high school group. One young man was sitting with his girlfriend throughout. At the ending of the play she was all tears, hunched over and desperate for comfort. He put his arm around her then looked at me and gave me the biggest smile I've ever seen. Sly kid).

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheQuietPunk
Member # 2130

- posted      Profile for TheQuietPunk   Email TheQuietPunk         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure I can write a happy ending. That may be a fault of mine or it may just depend on my definition of happy. In my opinion no one is bad for no reason so in truth one person always gets the shaft at the end and fails.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cold Equations is the only short story I ever cried about. To answer your question, I must have liked it, even though it was sad. I remembered it and would read it again, right now, if I had a copy.

Sometimes I get depressed just because the book ends. It is worse if the book was really good and had a good ending. If a book is really good, and the world of the book interesting, I just don't want it to end. I don't want to have to leave that world.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Siena
Member # 2146

- posted      Profile for Siena           Edit/Delete Post 
Most people have trouble with semicolons. They're mainly used to connect a fragment of a sentence to a complete sentence when both are very closely related.

I am hesitant to make this my first post! But I am an English teacher, so I had to clarify the semi-colon rule. A little dislaimer first, I wouldn't expect anyone (myself included) to worry much about grammar and punctuation in an informal posting. However, since the question was raised... here's the proper use of a semi-colon.

With one exception, a semi-colon must always have a complete sentence on both sides. You are connecting two related COMPLETE sentences when you use a semi-colon. If either side is a sentence fragment, then you have have used the semi-colon incorrectly. (Probably a comma would serve you better.)

I found this information in A Writer's Resource: A Handbook for Writing and Research, which is an invaluable tool when writing and correcting papers. I may be an English teacher, but I certainly haven't memorized all the rules. (Except the semi-colon one. )

Oh, the exception refers to using the semi-colon in series when commas would be confusing. Such as:

The committee included Dr. Curtis Youngblood, the county medical examiner; Robert Collingwood, the director of the bureau's criminal division; and Darcy Coolidge, the chief of police.

I hope nobody thinks I am being snotty, because that is definitely NOT my intention. I'm just crazy enough to think that the rule is important. I definitely mean NO disrespect.

In time, I hope to participate in the writing discussions and share some of my own work. I'll earn a place, I promise.

-Siena

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Siena, I like you already.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Siena
Member # 2146

Aaw shucks!

Thanks!

I've got an idea for a story... it's actually an old idea I've had that I reworked today. I think it'll be compelling... if I do it right.

Just thought I'd mention it. It's not depressing, though. Depressing stories are okay... some are even really good... consider Card's Lost Boys. That book was horribly depressing and SCARY... but I liked it nevertheless. Not sure I could ever read it again, though. I don't recommend it as much as some of Card's other books... although I will mention it to some.

-Siena

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
As a full time pedant, I take some issue with this:

quote:
You are connecting two related COMPLETE sentences when you use a semi-colon.

It doesn't need to be just two related sentences. It can be three, four, or more. It simply depends [though it's rarely done for more than two these days]. In these cases, it's always a stylistic choice to do so.

The way I see a semicolon is as follows: If I have a conjunctive phrase, I can lose the "and", "but", "yet", and use a semicolon instead.

For example: Jonathan loved video games; he hardly played them anymore.

Remember that punctuation and style are ever changing; we used to use our colons and semicolons like this : with a space between them. We also used to put two spaces after a colon or a period; most people don't bother doing that anymore. I still do some things the old-fashioned way because that's how I was taught.

People often think I'm strange; they make fun of me for worrying about comma splices and run-on sentences; because they could care less about punctuation, spelling, and grammar themselves. I do care very much about these things; I am a pedant after all; all pedants care about finer details of the written and spoken word. (Note: If I hadn't used semicolons like I did in the above, I would have been accused of writing run-on sentences with all the conjunctions. This way, it allows for just the right effect and a little pause for breath between each. Try it; you'll like it.)

My wife says that one of the reasons she married me was because I could use a semicolon in a sentence. Lucky me...

EDIT: I sure wish this forum had a built-in spell check. Bah.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited August 06, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited August 06, 2004).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot; Nevil shot himself through the temple!!!

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, Nevil shot himself through the temple!

Now I AM confused. I had always thought the semi-colon connected a complete sentence to a sentence fragment; instead, I'm to use a comma?

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
mike, allow me to confuse you further. Consider this example:

Janey had three sea shells; Fern, none.

In the above case, the comma is used to omit the word "had" and the semicolon is used to omit the word "and".

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget about using a semi-colon for listing.

While on vacation in North Carolina, I did many things. I saw my family; I went to the Tryon Palace; I explored the UNC Greensboro campus.

(Not sure if I have the application completely right, those who are more informed can correct my usage )

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Strunk & White:
quote:
5. Do not join independent clauses with a comma. If two or more clauses grammatically complete and not joined by a conjunction are to form a single compound sentenc, the proper mark of punctuation is a semicolon.

The full text is here, http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#5 , for those of you who don't have your own copy.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Goodness! I'd forgotten all about that little gem ! I think it's with my CP Style Book (I suppose I should dig both of them out one of these days).
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Difference of opinion from the Oxford Manual of Style:

quote:

To give a trenchant sense of contrast, use a comma [...] to link very short main clauses:

He doesn't buy antiques, he inherits them.

It goes on to warn of the perils of run-on sentences -- specifically, avoid using this construction with an adverb after the comma (e.g. the sentence "he doesn't buy antiques, nevertheless he inherits them" is _wrong_).

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited August 06, 2004).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Siena
Member # 2146

HSO,
Aah, it's good to know that really. I'm always nervous to connect more than 2 sentences with a semi-colon, although sometimes it would be good if I could (like in no-longer-than 5 sentence assignments). So thanks!

I don't think I could be considered a pedant...especially considering I'll need to look that word up.

And I think grammar matters, too! I actually ENJOYED my advance grammar class in college. But it wasn't until about a year ago that someone told me the semi-colon rule in a way that finally clicked with me. And that's what I put above. See, you can always learn new things!

mikemunsil,
But both sides ARE complete sentences! You were correct with the semi-colon!

Isn't he???

Jules,
Isn't Oxford English? They have different rules than us. I'm talking American rules.

Any and Everybody,
Generally, I teach that there are 3 ways to fix a run-on.

1. Use a semi-colon instead of a comma.

So, the comma splice of "Joe got a dog, it is very fat." becomes: "Joe got a dog; it is very fat."

2. Use a conjunction and a comma.

"Joe got a dog, it is very fat." becomes "Joe got a dog, and it is very fat."

3. Make it into two sentences.

"Joe got a dog, it is very fat." becomes "Joe got a dog. It is very fat."

Oh, I also give them a 4th option that they can use anywhere there's a problem.

When in doubt, REPHRASE!

-Siena

birdcastle
Member # 1508

- posted      Profile for birdcastle           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Christine hit it on the head about good bad endings and bad bad endings.

A good bad ending makes you think, "gee, THAT was a sad ending" or "hm, how depressing was that" or "wow, that stunk for that character - glad I'm not HER." But you understand how and why it happened that way.

A bad bad ending is unsatisfying. It leaves you ticked off, maybe even thinking that you wasted your investment in the rest of the story. Yeah, Pay It Forward, definitely. And Crichton tends to do that to me too. Great book, fast-moving and entertaining, then he blows the whole thing with the last sentence. Grrr. Totally bad ending.

And another one was Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. I liked the book, but it didn't end. It just ... stopped. Unsatisfying.

So yeah, Silver, go ahead and write your story that ends badly. Just don't give it a bad ending.

Lisa

Posts: 23 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.