Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Trouble finishing??

Author Topic: Trouble finishing??
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have NO idea what my problem is... I've been working on this novel forever (literally) and am finally 10 chapters away from being finished by my estimate.

So why the writer's block?? The last chapter is all but written (I know what happens), and yet I can't seem to get from the end of the middle to the very end of the end.

Help!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps part of the problem is that your ending is already too set.

I have a story and I know how it will end, but if I were to actually write the ending I would get stuck. You may find that you need to finish the story without worring about your ending. You will probably have to change it a bit anyway and you may find it more successful it you ignore the details of the end until you get there.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh the Curse of Wrtier's Block.

A lot of people are going to say it is because something is wrong with where your story is, where it's going etc...

I can speak only for me, but I think it is about insecurities. I get writer's blocks when everything is working fine because I have a voice telling me I am hopeless, I am not a writer, and to just quit. I get queasy, and I mean physically ill, just looking at my computer.

So I don't. I read, I play video games, I watch movies, I listen to music. The a second personna asserts itself: I am an absolute genius and the world needs to hear what I say.

I ignore them both. I try not to think of writing (yeah, like Dostoyevsky said, try not to think of a blue-eyed polar bear... but i make a commendable attempt.)

I don't wait for inspiration. It only comes when I am not expecting it. What i wait for is for the increasing NECESSITY to write. When it is so great that I have to write or I'll die, I can get over the queasines and get back to work.

Writers get writer's block. But we survive it.

Hang in there, don't ever, ever give up. You are not alone, and I am sure I am not the only one here whose heart goes out to you.

Remember one thing.

Only YOU can write that story. So you HAVE to write it. Simple as that.

You can do it.

Best wishes.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Billions of explanations exist. Good luck overcoming your block!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

I must say BabylonFreek, you write so well there that you have made my incoherent, quickly tossed-together reply look like so much nonsense.

While I still think my response may be part of it, I think what you wrote is so much better and that is the first thing to look at.

Thanks, you make me rethink myself.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try just writing the ending, Siligurl.

If the ending is the problem, as ambongan suggests, that may get it out of your system.

If the ending isn't the problem, at least you'll have it written. And then write the next part in between that you know about, and then the next, and so on, until you have a rough draft of the remaining ten chapters.

Or, you could write the ending and just write an outline of sorts for the rest. Then go back and rewrite the outline, elaborating on stuff as you go, sticking in some dialog or some description. Keep doing that until you've got it done.

Sometimes you have to sneak up on writer's block or do an "end run" around it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
You know the ending -- does that mean you also know basically how you'll get there or do you have no idea how you'll get there? (Are you working from an outline or an outline with a big gap? ) Do you know at least one specific event somewhere between where you are and the end? Can you write that scene?

FWIW, Nancy Kress in Beginning, Middles and Ends claims that "reasons for getting stuck...are fear of failure, fear of success, literary fogginess, and wrong direction." You're close to the end -- can fear be paralyzing your efforts? Have you had anyone read as much as you have? A fresh eye might help.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Some good suggestions so far, I'll only add a couple of questions, things to think about.

Why do you think you need about 10 more chapters? Are they really necessary?

If so, what are the actions that need to happen to get you from where you are to where you want to be? Instead of jumping from "S" to "Z", what are the little stops in between? Then connect the dots, it may be easier with smaller jumps.

If not, is there a way to tie your ending to the middle as is? Or, maybe you only need five more chapters instead of 10. Can you get to the end in less time?

Writing is a metamorphesis. It can start out as one thing and by the end it is hardly recognizable. This isn't a bad thing either. Take a break, think about it and don't worry -- I don't know any writer who hasn't been there. You're not alone

[Edited to complete my thoughts on "If so..."]

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited August 05, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to agree with Kathleen.

Write that ending. Get it out of your brain and onto "paper" and out of your system. That alone might help you concentrate more fully on the rest. Do the same with ANY scenes you have churning in your head. I keep a separate file on my computer called MISCELLANEOUS SCENES. I write them out, keep them essentially in the order they will come in the book, they are out of my brain and waiting for me to insert them. I almost ALWAYS have to edit them to fit with what I've written to get to them, but usually not a great deal. Some scenes I simply delete (it turns out they weren't all that important after all).

But what I'm left with is what I think I'm perceiving your problem to be, but on a smaller scale. I call it "Connective Tissue." All the stuff in between the high spots that pretty much just gets you from point A to point B. Sometimes it's nothing more than a paragraph or two. Sometimes it's a chapter or two. But the more you can get on paper, no matter what order you actually write it in, the less connective tissue you have to deal with.

Good luck. And consider, too, what Robyn Hood had to say. Are you sure you need ten chapters to get there?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the great advice/suggestions. Hubby thinks that, as perverse as it may sound, I'm afraid of finishing the novel. Maybe that's it. I've lived with this one so long, PLUS it's the 1st of either a duology or trilogy, so even being done with it doesn't mean I'm done with the story. Grrr.

Does it really need 10 chaps? That's a good question and may be part of the problem. It absolutely has to have 3. The rest of the chapters might be construed as filling time from where I am now (and the logistics of what's occuring in the book) and where it has to end up (time plays a critical role).

I'm not sure-- with chaps being no more than "days" to a week apart-- that I can just skip 3 weeks without content.

Sili

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

How long are your chapters?

They represent a specific time period of the story, but are they also a significant amount of the story?

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Try writing chapter-free. Chapters are an artificial breaking point, while scenes are self-contained. I mean, scenes have beginnings, middles, and ends but a chapter might contain several scenes or break in the middle of one for suspense. The point is, what if you just wrote and worried about breaking it up later? Don't think about structure and just think about conflict, action, and resolutions.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you outlined chapter by chapter? I'm just wondering why you think it needs 10 chapters (as many of the others have expressed). In other words, how did you arrive at the 10 number?.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Writers block is nothing but fear. Perhaps you fear what will come of the novel once you are done. Or your afraid of all the editing that you will have to do. Or as odd as it seems, you may be afraid that if you write anymore Spiders will come and take you off to a twisted version of Disneyland and make you dance for them.
You just have to anylize your fear and deal with it. (or If it helps forget it for a while.)
If the block gets too bad you may have to write a non-fic on how you escape from writers block. (even if you don't know.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Another fear that may come with finishing a novel is that you won't be able to do it again.

(By the way, I'm posting from a computer far away from my home computer. I'll have a lot of catching up to do when I get home.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
You've hit the nail on the head, Pyre. Every unfinished work I have sitting around can be directly attributed to my fear that spiders will come and take me off to a twisted version of Disneyland and make me dance for them. That would be horrible. Seriously, I hate dancing.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
SiliGurl... My problem is that I have far too many ideas going on in my head at the same time. I started a thread here called "when to turn it off" or something similar and discussed it then.

I don't fear finishing my stories... I just want to start the next one before I actually finish the one I'm working on. Which then puts me into a holding pattern of sorts. Indecision and procrastination, possibly. Discipline is probably what I need to work on to solve it -- and I'm trying to do that. Honest.

I'm lucky that I've never suffered from the common ailment of writer's block. When I'm tired I find it harder to write anything good. So, I don't write when I'm tired. After a long day, that might mean I don't write at all. But, my mind is still thinking of plots and characters and new story ideas.

One thing I do is write a "blog" (or weblog) and dump my thoughts into it to clear my mind in preparation to write something serious. It's completely free association writing, where one thing leads to the next, but I always have a good theme or key phrase going and I stick with it. I always try to wrap up my final words to tie in with the very first words. I find this is perfect [for me] in keeping the conscious and subconscious minds in sync and lubricated.

Finishing anything in life is hard to do. Nothing worthwhile should come too easily. We toil and labor over our stories for good reason: because we must. To do otherwise is to deny the self. And that is not an option.

Basically: There is no spoon.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting about not writing when you're tired, HSO. I actually make a conscious effort to pull an all-nighter every once in a while and write when I'm ready-to-pass-out tired. Of course I've got a lot more typos/spelling mistakes/grammar mistakes to clean up later, but my mind drifts down odd paths that it normally wouldn't when it's awake and logical.

Of course, a lot of what I write at 2 a.m. IS crap, but often there is the seed of an interesting idea in it that I presumably wouldn't have had otherwise.

In fact, I think I'll do that tonight. I've got a 2 litre of Dr. Thunder (=WalMart Dr. Pepper) waiting for me downstairs and a fairly off-beat story brewing in my head. Perfect night for a tired writing session.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.