Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Genre Bender

Author Topic: Genre Bender
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I am writing a story that doesn't fit neatly into the sword and sorcery fantasy genre, nor into the plastic and rivets sci fi one. It is more magic realism/psychosci-fi.

With the object to get published in mind, how sacred are these cows?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Short story? Novella? Novel? What length? I'm guessing that might make a difference. My conjecture is that short stories are more fluid in such matters, while novels may be more stubbornly shelved into the classic genres due to the capital outlay associated with a work of this length.

But there are many, many more experienced persons here that will, I'm sure, weigh in on this topic and correct me if I am wrong.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking magic in a contemporary setting, or in a future setting? That makes a pretty big difference. If the former, then it would likely work better as magic meets technology. If the latter, then the reverse case is indicated.

But these cows aren't particularly sacred. It's more a matter of ordering the expositive elements and selecting the initial POV.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Wow, that was quick.

The story is novel-length and set in the present, it delves into the overlap between perceived realities, 'is it real or is is a delusion'. There is complete, unambiguous resolution but I don't know if I will lose readers in the process of getting to the end and whether this 'riding the ragged edge' approach would prove distateful to a publisher.

The story is salvageable if it is a faulty approach.

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a term for your kind of story that's gaining popularity: Speculative Fiction.

The thing is, just write your story. Worry about its genre later.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 1353

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out 'Neverwhere' and 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman.

There's a market for your kind of literature.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't sound faulty, from what you've said.

It sounds like you've got a contemporary character that gets caught up in "magical" events, and then tries to investigate those experiences, eventually turning to science to either disprove or validate them. Is that about what you're saying? Because that's my first case, contemporary setting--magic meets technology.

Even if I've misinterpreted you, these cows still ain't so sacred. But your dramatic structure also seems valid, the question of whether certain things are real or imaginary should be left up in the air till the end if you've devised the resolution to answer that question.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Thank you people.
Will plough-on.

Andrew

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.