Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » mythical creatures

Author Topic: mythical creatures
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a fantasy story and I just realized that my world is very much shaped by the whole Tolkien mystique. (That and Dracula). I've been doing a lot of research but it's slow going and there aren't a lot of places that just have lists of mythical creatures. I think that having some sort of compilation of ancient myths and creatures would be very nice to be able to just read through. Learning about the history of vampires alone has taken me practically all afternoon and I'm not sure if I've got the right idea, but at least it's given me a place to start writing them from.

My question is basically this, do any of you have a good place where I could read about a whole bunch of myths, or do you know any good book/encyclopedias. A lot of information about every creature would be nice too, such as related myths and the differences between moder interpretations. (For instance I know that elves before tolkien were very much tricky little bastards, among other things, sort of like his wood elves in the Hobbit).

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the bookstore and buy or look at a D&D Monstous Compendium. It has a plethera of monsters/creatures in it and there supposed habitat etc... You can also look at a number of other manuals published by TSR on mythical beings and creatures. It is all there in color. I think there are some websites available too, but off hand I don't remember them. I just use my old AD&D books.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GavinLoftin
Member # 1966

- posted      Profile for GavinLoftin   Email GavinLoftin         Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a great book out there called "Things that never were." Its basically an encyclopedia of mythical creatures and the stories behind them. It covers almost all cultures and myths from around the world.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
For mythological creatures, try Carol Rose's Giants, Monsters, and Dragons.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the D&D books would be helpful, but be careful that they can't sue you.

There's a book out there by Edith Hamilton called Mythology (I think) that you might find helpful.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess that I wasn't clear in my post. (I'm not being the least bit sarcastic). I don't want the Dnd rehashed, overused, bland creatures. I'm a dungeon master, I know all about them and I don't want to write just one more story set in the Tolkien/Dnd world.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want existing mythology, try someplace like Mythology.com or Pantheon.org . Or just search Google for "Mythology" and perhaps "ancient".

Pantheon has a pretty big collection of articles, and a bestiary of almost ninety mythological creatures.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did research on British folklore and found this site very helpful.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/folklore/folklore.html

There's also Bruno Bettelheim's "Uses of Enchantment" but that looks more at the structure of fairytales.

The book of fabulous beasts : a treasury of writings from ancient times to the present by Joe Nigg

And if you want to be really nutty
"History of Animals" by Aristotle (some natural history, so not.)

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say if you're tired of the same old thing, then invent some new ones. It's your world just use your creative noodles.

btw: Tolkein (LOTR) and D&D aren't the same. There are hundreds of creatures listed in D&D manuals that don't have any place in LOTR. I say switch it up and put the creatures in a different world/environment than is normally seen. You don't have to play by the rules, it's your world your'e creating.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a fascinating show last night on the history channel (I think) about how the classical-era Greeks collected fossils and interpreted them in a way which resulted in the body of mythical creatures that we are familiar with. Thus, the leg bones of a mammoth were interpreted to be the leg bones of a giant, and the hooked beak of a ceratopsian dinosaur became the hooked beak of a griffin. So, you could take a leaf from their book?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't be sued for using D N D creatures. You can't copyright invented creatures (ideas). You can even use trademarks (to an extant), but none of their creatures (I think) are trademarked.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And ancient fossils weren't the only source for mythical creatures. I understand that the idea for the cyclops came from an elephant skull which has a large hole in the center of the forehead for the muscles that move the trunk around. I guess no one noticed the little holes on the sides for the elephant's eyes.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Worth the Wait
Member # 2155

- posted      Profile for Worth the Wait   Email Worth the Wait         Edit/Delete Post 
Try checking out this site for a start... I know it's fairies, but there is just SCADS of material on Irish mythical stuff on the web. This site is Irish fairies, but it's a good starting point.

http://www.irelandseye.com/animation/intro.html

<><

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
I find this site useful:

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/

particularly for information on demons and other baddies in mythology and religion throughout history. The site developed out of the creator's University studies in religion.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that site Lady Robinette. One of the stories there has intrigued me and will be the basis for my next short...
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.