Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Promise Report (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Promise Report
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your new little magic-bringer. God bless her and you. Hope she comes home soon.

Dang! None of mine had enough consideration for their mother to come early. They were all late! And BIG!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, RFLong!
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds as if things were a little scary there for a while, R. I'm glad to hear that she's out of ICU and doing better.

It's hard to leave the hospital without your baby, but at least you know you'll be able to go back and get her and bring her home eventually.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Khyber
Member # 1651

- posted      Profile for Khyber   Email Khyber         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked writing, and mostly plot development over the actual chore of writing, but never really took it beyond writing at my leisure... And, I've long been an aspiring writer, just without the actual discipline to write daily. I suppose now is as good as any time to start the BIC ritual.

My first goal will be to write every day of this coming week for at least 1 hour.

(i figure it's too daunting to propose an endeavour such as writing every day for the rest of the month, year, or even life ;P so lets try interval intstallments)

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

thanks for your good wishes. just to let you know that Emily is now home and doing well, though we're all exhausted. Check ups during the week and an unbelievably regimented feeding schedule, so things are still crazy, but its starting to look up.

Talk to you soon
R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
R, four things:

1--take care of the baby as she needs you

2--take care of yourself as you need to

3--the writing will take care of itself (even if it doesn't get taken care of for as much as a year--consider it grist for the mill and don't feel guilty--your creative energies are needed elsewhere)

4--you are welcome here, even if you aren't writing--keep your skills up by reading and critiquing for others if you can manage it once in a while, and just say "Hi! I'm still alive!" if you can't manage any more than that

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. The more people of worth and wisdom we have like you, the better ^^.

Khyber, how'd the hour a day go? Wonderfully, I hope .

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, October has long passed. i did manage to finish the third draft of my novella. *winces* It's still as awful as ever, though.

Fire on the Sea needs a middle. Will correct that in the next couple of days. And once it is done, about that can be said for it is that it's short.

Meanwhile, I have a pretty good rough draft of a short story "Pleading With the Stars" that is a much better story than either of the aforementioned stories despite the fact that I really need to define the POV better, and pick a tense and stick with it.

And I'm at 10K longhand on NaNoWriMo novel, but I am waaay behind on my typing.

I have too many stories on my plate, if you ask me. But nobody's asking.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a slow writer... very slow, i write only a few times a week typically, and only between 200-700 words at a time...

my commitments therefore will be to get my arse going and get my christmas parody short story for the rewrite challenge going so that i might have something for it by the deadline.

and my other is to get a good start on my big baby novels of Searth before going out on my mission... i've been working on Searth since i wrote my first searth short story (major, major crappy writing i might add) back in 7th grade... i'm hoping that i can make the story much better, fuller, more real in the new novels... and i hope i can get them published

that's it for my writing goals, my one other goal is to get a day job so that i can start getting to that goal my bishop wants before i can start working on my papers to go on my LDS mission

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
That isn't slow at all! A few times a week at those speeds means about three new short stories every two months. That's almost 20 short stories a year. Not too bad at all, I don't think.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
RFLong, I trust little Emily's first month went well once she got home. Congrats.

Confession time. Since the day I posted here, I have not even picked up Maass' workbook, which I was supposed to have finished by October. I've read other writing books, wrote, entered some writing contests, painted rooms, etc., etc., but completely avoided the workbook. My subconscious is obviously very perverse. Maybe I'll have to promise not to read Maass' workbook.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kolona. She's doing really well now - guzzling her bottles and putting on loads of weight. However, she appears to be nocturnal, which is causing a bit of a problem. My husband has developed a masterful method of napping while looking like someone lost in deep thought. Very handy for work!

The writing is still scattered, but I've started reviewing some older work - the short story "The Wolf's Sister" and I've rewritten the first three chapters of my novel "A Dream of the West".

I've got a bit more of the novel "May Queen" down, but its still fragmented. And "Fisher's Mask" the novel I sat down and plotted and then couldn't write has raised its head again. It's slow going but at least its something.

Main thing I'm finding is I'm having lots of ideas for new things, but I'm not much on follow through right now, so I'm just trying to jot down something and move on. Hopefully they'll see the light of day in the future. I even find that I am possibly *gasp!* (whispers for fear of eavesdropping) missing work. (checks temperature and wanders away muttering to self!)

Talk to you soon
R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, time to update my goal. I last posted that my goal was to complete my novel "Outleaf" during NaNoWriMo, and due to a variety of things beyond my control, did not quite make that goal. I came close, though!

New goal: finish first draft of novel by January 31st.

Complete at least one short story between now and then, as well.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here is an update on my progress:

On "Olympus" I have rewritten the beginning several times and have been trying to figure out which direction I want to go with that.

On "NightCreeper", I have decided to change the genre from YA to Adult, because I can get more descriptive and can write it the way I think it should be.

On my superhero story, I haven't yet come up with an idea for the title yet, however I have come up with some of the content of my world.

On my D&D character driven story, I have a few ideas, but none fleshed out yet.

Now I return you to your regularly programmed forum.

Thanks

-Bryan-

I'm now reduced to the status of lurker for a bit until my schedule eases up a bit. Hopefully during the winter break I'll have a chance to resubmit "Olympus" (once again).

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished the rewrite of the short story turned novella I have been working on. Earlier I posted on this thread that I was shooting for the beginning of Oct- well I didn't make it, but I feel like the extra time was well spent. Some of you have helped me a great deal with your critiques, you know who you are- I can't ever thank you enough. Now to tackle the final rewrite- I'm going to try to finish in March and then send it out.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.