Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Rewrite Challenge Discussion Zone! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rewrite Challenge Discussion Zone!
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. As you can see there is a discussion zone open for us to talk about September's challenge.

Kathleen, if you think that discussion thread is unnecessary go ahead and delete it. But now we can get back to the business of discussing last month's challenge.

Altogether we've had 13 submitters. So how many of you are planning to submit your story for publication? To whom do you plan to submit? Any publications that you wouldn't submit to in a million years?

I'm actually seriously considering taking that submission leap. I've not submitted to a publisher before. It's a frightening/exciting step. I'm scared out of my wits--not so much that I'll be rejected, but that maybe I'll be accepted! Does that make sense to anyone?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on expanding mine with the idea of submitting later. Much later!

For now, I'm trying to figure out how to work "Pied Piper" into another chapter! *VBG*

I do hope some of us try to get our stories published, though. And succeed!

Go for it, djvdakota!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I kinda remind myself that rejection will probably be all I'll get back. I have seen my non-fiction stuff published in several places. But fiction is a whole new ballgame. What if I actually get accepted? Then what? I guess I'll have to try and do it again. Then I'll have to see if it was a fluke, or if I really have "arrived."

My story ended up being a part of my larger WIP. I am planning to send that out for publication when it is completed. I was planning to go for Tor. I'm researching Luna. Not sure what they are up to yet. I don't want to publish with them if they are too Harlequin-like. I bought a couple of books they have published and plan to read them this weekend for "research".

Shadow - Perhaps diabolical could make someone feel good. You never know. My thoughts are already churning on possible "gifts".
*laughs in a maniacal fashion*

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I would eventually like to publish, but I have a long way to go. I'm going to continue to work on Bridgetown and submit multiple tales in one larger piece. However, that might work agaist getting published. ? Don't know and I'm not going to worry about it yet.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been encouraged regarding my story, and plan to rewrite, get more help, and send it somewhere. Not sure where - probably the usual places.

NewsBys - I just read of Luna in one of my writing magazines. I'd be curious what you think - maybe you could post your thoughts after you do your "research?"

The whole "Pied Piper" thing is actually depressing me now, in connection with the horrible events in Russia. If I do a rewrite, I plan to save the children (or whoever), teach the parents (or whoever) a lesson, and boy will the piper get it... I'm not saying we change the story - I just might have trouble, personally, doing it.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The whole "Pied Piper" thing is actually depressing me now, in connection with the horrible events in Russia. If I do a rewrite, I plan to save the children (or whoever), teach the parents (or whoever) a lesson, and boy will the piper get it... I'm not saying we change the story - I just might have trouble, personally, doing it.

I hadn't even thought of the connection with events in Russia. But wow, that would be one hell of a powerful story to retell the piper in that light. It recalls to mind a short I read--can't remember by who--written in response to a murder in New York some years ago that was witnessed by neighbors who did nothing to stop it. Amazingly chilling story BECAUSE of the link to the real event. Go for it, punahougirl. Make a statement for all of us.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies for joining this conversation very late and for steering it back to goats, but I've been away on holiday. I also apologize for not reading the last few stories posted, there wasn't enough time. If I missed your story and/or failed to crit it, then please send it along or let me know or whatever...

Right. I found the whole exercise quite enjoyable. And it was nice to see everyone's own creative take on a simple tale such as this.

In my case, the inspiration came from my own back garden here in London. Everything in the story is directly taken from actual creatures and plantlife that inhabit our yard, which made it incredibly easy to visualize and to write. Those of you who read the story got the first (and still the only) unedited version of it. It took about 3 hours perhaps.

Though I missed the mark on emulating Douglas Adams (the bits about Ms. Gerkins, the patent agent, which nearly everyone said to take out of the story, and which I stubbornly won't do -- but I might shuffle it elsewhere), I did succeed at writing something funny and also kept the basic morality of the story intact. Yet, I'm not so sure I stayed true to the Gruffs.

A few of you had the Trip-Trap-Tripping thing going on, which was a clever tie-in to the original story. MaryRobinette's was quite a memorable take/twist on tap dancing and also had quite a nasty, foul-mouthed and bitter antagonist.

Other stories (and I'm doing this from memory, so sincerest apologies for not remembering who wrote what at the moment) had actual goats, one of which I didn't realize were goats 'til near the end of it, which forced me to go back and reread it (my fault for missing the clues and forgetting what the original story was about in the first place). We also had a sleazy used-car salesman--and nobody likes a sleazy used-car salesman--that gets his deserved comeuppance at the end. There was even mythological gods beating up trolls and stuff.

Overall, very interesting stuff and good work, all! Thanks for sharing your stories!

So, the next is the Pied Piper, eh? That'll be something.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited September 05, 2004).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have sent your stories and not recieved a crit yet, I apologize. I've been buried in the mundane world for over a week, with first one problem and then another to deal with. I still have your stories, and will read them as soon as I can. You are not forgotten.

As to the inspiration, I simply decided to put our own pets into the story. From there, it was quite easy.

I think I might try for publication, but I have a longer idea of which this is only a small portion. So, stay tuned for chapter 2. (Also known as "Hansel & Goatel").

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've finally decided to submit my story. I originally just wrote it for fun and as a way to get myself writing a bit more so I didn't ask for any detailed feedback. Now I've gone and changed my mind

If anyone who read my re-write story, Gruff Bluff, would be willing to do a full crit for me, just let me know. I would appreciate the feedback. If you need me to re-send it, just e-mail me.

Thanks in advance any help you can offer!!!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted mine to NFG and had it rejected almost instantly. I sort of knew it wasn't a good match, but they can have a fairly wide range.

I have no idea where to submit it to, but I want to send it out again.

Thanks for the nice words HSO.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary,

I just used http://engine.freeshell.org/
(a link Christine posted in the Promise Reports thread) and search some critiria that seemed to fit your story. Here's one you may want to try: www.cricketmag.com

They have a few magazines and you only have to submit once and they will consider you for each of their publications.

Good luck

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.