Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What happened?

Author Topic: What happened?
Cowboy Poet
Member # 2142

- posted      Profile for Cowboy Poet   Email Cowboy Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up for a writing group more than 3 months ago and I have heard nothing since. Was it something I said when I filled out the profile, perhaps?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have you on the list, Cowboy Poet.

According to my records, you signed up on 21 July 2004. That's more than a month, for which I apologize.

But I haven't lost you. And I am planning on starting some new groups and reorganizing others after the Labor-Day weekend.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cowboy Poet
Member # 2142

- posted      Profile for Cowboy Poet   Email Cowboy Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. I get confuzzled with dates and alas, I am prone to exaggeration. Hey, I'm a writer!
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Patience, CP. *G*

I imagine kdw is, in part, waiting to see how many of us newbies that sign up actually stick around, see how actively we participate, gauge personalities to try and get well-fit groups, etc.

Think of her as an artist: A true masterpiece simply cannot be rushed!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind words, Susan.

I wish taking time would ensure the viability of a group.

I'm just glad I keep records (and that I can find them when I need them--you ought to see my desk!) Computers help that way, at least.

JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, just curious. Are there any interested in writing short stories? I know when I was around years ago I signed up, and you and I talked that most (all) the group writers were beginning or in the middle of novels, that very few wrote shorts (ultimately SiliGurl and I shared shorts back and forth for edit, enjoyment, and encouragement). Wondered if it's worth throwing my hat back into the ring, as I'm only a shorts writer.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Usually the groups are all novel writers or people who want to write all lengths.

I can see if I have enough short story writers to make up a group.

Maybe I should explain a bit about how I do groups, and why it can take a while, and how even then it doesn't guarantee that a group will work out.

When someone signs up for a group, I put them on one of the waiting lists, with notes about what they've said on their sign-up form.

The waiting lists are novel, varied-length fiction, varied-length fiction and nonfiction, varied length fiction and poetry, and varied-length fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.

In the notes I say whether they are in school (because I try to keep those in school in groups together), what kinds of stuff they are working on (SF, mysteries, lit, etc) and what kinds of stuff they don't want to read (romance, SF/F, horror, etc).

Around the beginning of each month, I go through the lists and see if there are enough people to put into groups using all of these bits of information.

Sometimes, someone will say that any genre is okay, or that they are writing only fiction, but they're willing to read poetry and nonfiction (or they're open in some other way). Those people are easier to place in a group than those who are more focussed (so to speak). I try not to put them with the more focussed ones, if I can help it, though. Focussed people tend to get along better with others as focussed as they are.

I usually end up having to wait until there are quite a few people in the waiting lists so that I have some flexibility, and that means I tend to create a bunch of groups at a time.

Then I wait for people to introduce themselves, and for the groups to get going. Most of them manage to get through the introductions, but as many as half of them stop there--I think they are waiting for someone else to make the next move.

Finally, someone will email me and say that they haven't heard anything from anyone in the group, and do I know what happened? I will send around an email, and about half the time there will be a couple of the other people who have also wondered what happened.

If they are willing, I try them again with another group--usually one that has had people leave because LIFE HAPPENED or because they realized they couldn't really participate after all, and there aren't enough people for a group.

There have been people who have been willing to try again and again until I finally find a group that works for them. When a group works, it is a lovely thing to see. <sigh!>

But most of the groups don't work, or they only work for a few months. When I started this job, OSC told me the groups should only be together for a year. He believes people have learned everything they can from each other by the time a year is over. I haven't had to do that very often.

I'm glad we also have this forum, because I think it helps people in ways that groups can't. I think the groups, when they work, help people in other ways. It's good to have more than one way to help people here at Hatrack.

So, that's how it works--now, at least. I hope this gives you all some idea of things.

I am always open to suggestions.

I do have space for a short stories only list, J P, and I will see if there are enough people to make up a group, if you want to send in your information. (I probably still have your old information, but it's on a different computer, and it may have changed a little in the interim.)

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 08, 2004).]

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, on the discription of groups it says the members must have completed works to critique, but this thread makes it sound like you guys do works in progress. I have not written my first novel yet, but I have done quite a lot of backstory for it and hope to be ready soon. I have written parts of it, but I am struggling with the plot. At what point would I become eligible to apply for a group? And the shorts thing is interesting to me as well, I have written a few.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If the group is amenable you can submit anything you want. KDW can try to put you in a group that has expressed interest in doing the sorts of things you want to do, but the group members are the ones that have to decide what they will actually do.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Actually, what I mean in the description is that people must have something written down that can be commented on, not notes or backstory, but story text.

We don't expect novels to be completed, but if you only have fragments of shorter works, you'd really need to have quite a few of them--your turn will come around faster than you expect.

It's basically a matter of being able to participate. If you haven't done much in the way of writing, you may not be able to be of much use to people who have done some writing. You haven't "been there, done that."

Also, people who are submitting material for feedback are more likely to actually be involved in giving feedback (barring those who leave after getting feedback, of course--there will always be those people).

The "requirement" came about after I saw too many people flake out on their groups because they just didn't have anything to send when it was their turn, and I think they flaked out because they didn't have any real connection or commitment to the group since they didn't have anything already written that they wanted feedback on. (Does that make sense?)

As long as you have something that you're actually working on, you qualify. Even if you don't know where to go with it next, you can ask the rest of the group to help you brainstorm (as we do in the forum at times) so that you can keep writing.

As Survivor says, once a group is going, the members can decide what they'll do and how they will do it.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards attempting NaNoWriMo, which means hopefully in December I will have a bunch of stuff.

I will try to sort through the absolute sludge ahead of time, but maybe I might actually write something worthwhile. Anything can happen, right? The prep I am doing is a lot of outlining and character notes, world-building and history. I am still stuck on some key events, but my goal is to have enough story to go on by Nov. to bang out the whole novel. I do write quickly when I want to, I can write a 2000 word short story in about an hour once I have the idea.

Anyway, all that to say, I will probably apply to join a group in either December or January, but not until then. Thanks for clarifying for me!

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped by and thought I might be able to add something here.

Kathleen does a wonderful job with the groups. I was in one of the rare ones that lasted a year, over a year (we then had to disband or leave Hatrack)(we left)--with the core of the group remaining the same for that year.

Now, three years later? I think it's been three, some of us still belong to the same group, now I run it, but we still call ourselves Group 6--even if we do things a bit differently.

Here's a good list to how to make a crit group work:

1.) Agree to confidentiality. This means don’t go to your neighbor and say Man, so and so in my crit group writes crap—and then tell them about the story you just critted.
2.) Brainstorm. If you haven't started your manuscript yet, that doesn't mean a critique group is not for you. Critique groups can help you generate ideas that may motivate you to start and finish your book.
3.) Check your ego at the door. If you want your writing to improve, you have to learn to accept constructive criticism. It's nothing personal, and it doesn't mean you're a bad person, or a bad writer.
4.) Elaborate. Vague comments such as "That scene isn't working" don't do the author much good. It's more useful to give comments like "This scene might work better if you cut out some of the introspection. I get so caught up with his thoughts that I lose track of the action."
5.) Find something positive to say. Identifying the author's strengths is just as important as identifying his or her weaknesses.
6.) Give your first-read reactions. Let the author know what you're feeling as you read his or her work. Do you feel sympathetic toward the heroine? Is the pacing too slow for your taste? This kind of feedback allows the author to decide if your reactions are the ones she intended. BUT—don’t be too quick to say, I don’t get it—if you read a bit (several paragraphs and still don’t get it—go back and make a note of it)
7.) Include a list of questions* at the end of your manuscript. This will give your critique partners the opportunity to focus on the areas that bother you the most.
8.) Please no more than 2,500 to 3,000 words per week—remember you must do three crits of others work before you get crits of your work. *** only in here because it applies to my group--not Hatrack.
9.) Mark mechanical errors. Spelling and grammar checkers don't catch everything.
10.) Notice improvement. Let your partners know how their writing is progressing over a period of time.
11.) Offer your expertise. If you're particularly good at punctuation, or you have a talent for transitions, share that with your group.
12.) Meet group deadlines—get used to them, writers deal with them all the time.
13.) Quash negativity. Try not to harbor bad feelings toward other group members, and deliver your comments with tact and respect.
14.) Refrain from defending your work. You could probably explain away every comment your critique partner comes up with, but you don't have that option with your editor.
15.) Share your weaknesses. If you have areas that you think need work, let your partners know so they can help.
16.) Thank your critique partners for their input. Participation takes time and effort; show your appreciation.
17.) Use the suggestions you find helpful, but don't feel bad if you don't. It's your writing; you don't have to make changes that make you uncomfortable.
18.) Volunteer your overall impression. Let the author know what you think of his or her work as a whole. If you're looking forward to seeing more, say so.
19.) Yield with good grace when you make an honest mistake.

well, that's my addition to it--BTW it took three groups for me to find one that fit---Kathleen does a good job, you just have to do your part to get things going and keep them going.

Shawn (back to lurkdom)

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited September 10, 2004).]

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

SR is lurking?

Oh, but now I feel bad because I've completely lost track of how many groups I've completely killed. I feel like a bad person. Nobody ever wants to stay in a group if I'm one of the members.

It might have something to do with my miasma of pure evil or something. I should get that checked.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Survivor, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I mean, I didn't want to be the one to say anything, but now that you brought it up...your miasma of pure evil really makes people uncomfortable. I know you're really a good guy that people would like to be in a writing group with, but that pure evil thing just puts people off. I figure it's better to just put it on the table rather than have you walking around not knowing. Sorry, man.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you might want to work on the "pure evil" thing; it's a bit of a downer. But the fact that you HAVE a miasma is just awesome. Don't let anyone tell you any differently.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Hey, Shawn! Thanks for stopping by. And thanks for the great list. If I didn't already send out two emails to people when I start each group (emails which some of them don't bother to read <sigh!> ), I'd be tempted to send them your list, too.

Maybe what we should do is repost the list in the Ways to Critique section and I'll just refer people to it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

By the way, Survivor, there is no way in the world that I'd call you a group killer.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that we couldn't find one person over in the Fragments and Feedback area who wouldn't like to be in a group with you.

So, yeah, evil miasma and all that jazz, you do have something to offer, and we appreciate your support.

Survivor
Member # 213

Ironically, I happen to be wearing my robes of evil right now. I'm actually in a sort of experimental group writing thing right now. Hopefully the evil will stay safely contained.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I have a confession to make, and I figured this was as good a place as any.

There is a reason I am not getting any groups organized as I had planned this month, and for that I apologize most grovelingly.

The reason is that I am in charge of a writers conference that will be held next month in Salt Lake City, and I'm scrambling like crazy to get the schedule locked down.

For those of you who might be in the area, this is the basic blurb on it.

The Association for Mormon Letters announces its 2004 Writers Conference, "Writing with Honesty" to be held October 16, 2004 at Westminster College, 1840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah in the Gore Auditorium from 9am to 5pm (registration will open at 8:30am).

AnnePerry is our keynote speaker, and she will be joined by writers, editors, and publishers representatives from the Intermountain area.

Pre-registration cost is $40 ($30 for students with ID and AML members) by
October 1, 2004.

At the door registration is $15 more, so register early.

Lunch is $13, and you may choose between chicken piccata and vegetable lasagna.

There will also be Lucky 13 workshops which are an additional $5. For more information about them, please go to

http://www.aml-online.org/events/lucky13.html

Checks or money orders should be sent to Association for Mormon Letters, P O Box 51364, Provo, UT 84605-1364 or you may pre-register online at

http://www.aml-online.org/events/aml2004wcr.html

If you have questions, please email us at aml@aml-online.org

Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I'm so glad you posted here and I looked, Kathleen!! I'd been waiting to hear if AML was having a conference this year and I'm going to sign up! So I'll probably see you there and I'll make sure to attend your workshop.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks, Whitney. I'm glad, too.

Please come up and introduce yourself when you see me.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.