Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Roll Call (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Roll Call
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
LL, thanks for the plug!

Any ideas where I might submit such a story?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Toradius
Member # 2059

- posted      Profile for Toradius           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody!

Thou I havn´t participated that much in the discussions, I´ve instead followed the threads every now and then and it has been giving and interesting to read them.

I´m 33 years old writerwannabe and live in Sweden. I´ve allways liked to write but it wasn´t untill for a couple of years ago i finally decided to aim for one day become a full time writer.

I'm also participating in a writing course since September which has given me a tremendous boost in my writing.

Outherwise I´m single and I've no children. That means I'm free as a bird, but sometimes freedom is indeed just another expression for nothing left to lose.

Well, that was a little bit of myself. While I´m prusuiting my goals I also hope that you folks succed with yours.

Best of luck...

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why I've been ignoring this thread. I guess I'm just never sure what to say.

My name is Christine, just like my handle. The other handle I usually use is not_a_witch, but if I ever get published I rather wanted the people I talked to about writing to know my real name. I write under my maiden name of Amsden, but i get paid under my married name, Morgan. (Remember that name..one day... )

So far in terms of publication, I have a craft writing piece coming out next month at T-Zero and an article on how to give critiques on Kathleen's SciFi & Fantasy workshop.

As of this moment, I have 12 completd short stories in la-la land waiting for rejection slips. (Er, I mean, waiting to be sold. I mean, who wouldn't want *my* stuff? It's pure poetry, full of wisdom and intrigue.) I am a hair over 50K into the second draft of a novel that I am hoping (knock on wood) to have finished by the end of October. Looks like I can have the draft done by the end of this month if I keep shooting for the moon like I have the last couple of weeks, then amonth to nitpick what I wrote, then off to the wolves to have it ripped to shreds! I'm hoping that early next year I will be circulating it to agents and publishers.

I am 27, live in the Kansas City area with my husband and two orange tabby cats, Kosh and Delenn, named after characters on my favorite scifi series, Babylong 5.

Writing is my job. I don't have another one. I graduated from college a few years ago with two bachelor's degrees, one in Computer Science and one in Psychology, but I'm not using either of them and haven't for almost a year now. When I got married, my husband agreed to support my full time efforts to become a writer and I nervously decided to take the chance, despite the backhanded comments from family and friends who think I should get a "real job." My mom is mostly afraid that something going to happen to my husband and I'll be SOL with no skills and no experience. I think my friends think I laze around all day. I long for the day when I sell my first novel as a sort of vindication and justification for all that I'm sacrificing now.

I spend a lot of time on hatrack and a couple other writer's forums because I enjoy the community of writers. I tend to offer my wisdom (cough) in the form of feedback a couple of times per week as part of the business of writing (you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours) and because I often get a sense for the weaknesses in my own work by studying the weaknesses in others.

I attended OSC's boot camp in 2003 and have spent a great deal of time studying the craft of writing. Now, if only I spent half that much time on research I'd be really good.

I hpe that's enough. Even some of the old foggies around here might learn something new from that bio.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I am a 28 yr. old high school music teacher and band director about to be smashed by Ivan. (I live near the Gulf Coast.) My husband and I have a 2 yr. old and a cat.
I have been writing short stories on and off since I was about 10, and I tend to write more sf/f than anything. Just recently I started writing again (you'd be suprised at how little time a band director has) and I must say thank you to everyone on this forum. You all have strengthened my desire to continue writing.
My favorite authors would have to be OSC, Stephen King, R.A. Salvatore (his Demon Wars series is great), Heinlen, Tolkien, Brian Lumley, that's just a few.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm an old 21 yr old with a big ol' beard that I've been meaning to shave off. I've known I was a writer since I was in 5th grade, and been working on a single story since then. (I've done others but always turn back to my baby.)

As for publications I was in an anthology type thing back when I was very young. (and stunk compared to the others.) I also have a story that a teacher stole from me to put in a memory type binder.

I have been personally influenced by: Bradbury, Tolkein, OSC, Hickman(who most recently really helped me get out of a perfectionist streak.)

(and am at this very moment playing Pokemon.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, gang. Doc Brown here. That's not my real name. I use it so wayward Hatrackers will recognize me when I pass them on the freeway.

As hurricane after hurricane bears down on Florida, it's sunny and 80 degrees here in Cleveland.

I just turned 40. None of you came to my birthday party, but I'm not bitter.

I like to write, explore caves, play bridge, win Jeopardy tournaments, and provoke people who express any religious or political beliefs.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

Husband came home from the hospital yesterday with a stent in his heart. He is weak and tired, but home. He will be going back into the hospital in a few weeks for more stents in his legs.

Thanks, one and all, for keeping us in your prayers. My husband/lover/partner/best friend was sicker than he's ever been in his life, and I more frightened than I'd ever been. I needed all the help I could get!

For a week I would rise every morning before dawn to feed and take care of animals, driving about 85 miles, spending the day worrying about, and helping nurses take care of, my husband, then driving the same 85 miles back home just in time to take care of animals again, then personal business for an hour or so before collapsing and sleeping, though not resting well, until time to do it all over again. [Don't even *think* of telling me everything that's wrong with the previous sentence. *weak grin*]

So that's my official excuse for not writing every day, and not writing still, yet. Okay, okay, it was more that I was too worried sick to be able to write. At this point, though, I need to rest and recoup my senses before I'll be fit to do anything.

Again, thank you all for keeping us in your prayers.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! Hope both of you recover quick.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that he is better, though the process isn't complete yet. I will still be keeping a vigil for you and your husband.

I hope you can get your life back into some form of normalcy soon. Trauma like this doesn't go away quickly, but I would bet it feels great to at least have him back home.

As far as his hospital experience goes, I would also bet that he is VERY glad to be out of there. I spent 2 months in the hospital after a very bad motorcycle accident, and I was never so glad to breathe fresh air and see the world again. The trauma of that experience is still with me today, I try to forget that part of it. But I will never forget the joy of coming. home.

If you still have your smile, that is the main thing, weak or not.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((Susan))))))

Oh, what a relief! I'm so glad things are looking up for your sweetheart! I have been praying for you both.

Love,
~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
We've all been waiting anxiously to hear word, Susan. We're grateful with you that your sweetheart is home and are praying for you still that the future will be bright for you both.

Dakota

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear things are looking okay. We're still pulling for you.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Susan, it sounds like he has turned an important corner. It's great to hear he could come home. Hang in there. We're all on your side.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all! This is my first day on the forums and I'm sure I have tons to learn, but I'm excited to do so!

I'm a 28 year old lover of just about any type of speculative fiction (well, maybe horror isn't quite my cup of tea). I have always wanted to be a writer and have put together several beginnings of short stories and novels, but have allowed the inner critic too much sway for too long. I mainly tend towards fantasy, but I can't help having sci-fi flavor some of my writing as well.

My goal is to complete anything before the year is out. Then my next goal is to overcome the inner critic again to actually submit something to a publisher.

My influences - gosh there are so many - Jane Austin, Anne McCaffrey, Shakespeare, Terry Pratchett, Tolkein, Madeline L'Engle, The Brothers Grimm, Charles De Lint, Rod Serling, Frank Herbert, Terry Brooks, and Orson Scott Card.

Glad to be in the club and hope everyone has lots of critiques for me because I'm here to learn and for me, making mistakes is usually the only way I learn to do it the right way.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Susan,

[letting huge breath out] I am SO glad to hear this - hated every day that went by with no clue - thank goodness things are looking up. Big wishes for your dh's continued improvement.

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear things are looking better, shadowynd. Hope they continue to improve.

And welcome to the new members who have posted so far!

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Susan - Wish I could do something to help you out. You have really had a rough time. I'll keep you and your hubby in my prayers.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Whitney, welcome to Hatrack.

You said

quote:
Glad to be in the club and hope everyone has lots of critiques for me because I'm here to learn and for me, making mistakes is usually the only way I learn to do it the right way.

One of the best ways to learn in a writing workshop is to give critiques. The feedback you receive on one of your stories may only help you with that particular story, but if you give feedback to someone else on their story, you learn things that you may be able to apply to all of your work.

When it comes to writing groups and workshops, it truly is better to give than to receive. So take advantage of the opportunities in the Fragments and Feedback area to give feedback. I promise that trying to figure out what works and doesn't work in someone else's story and then trying to figure out what might help fix problems will help you more than you can imagine.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Susan, I'm glad to hear that your husband is home. Those 85-mile drives must have been torture for you--not to mention all the other worries. Please take care of yourself, too, and try to get enough rest, okay?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Susan

a great relief to hear from you and to hear that he is home. we'll keep thinking of you both and here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, Kathleen, I plan on getting my hands dirty first and show my ignorance for all to see before I submit some of my stuff for review. Does it sound wrong to like to critique others work? Its the process, I think. Thanks!
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back. Besides that. I'm Robert, 35, soon to be single with no kids. I a certified computer geek (read IT guy) during the day. I mainly write fantasy, but I do write some articles. I did have an article accepted by a magazine, but we couldn't agree to contract terms. They wanted to buy all rights and I didn't want to sell them.

Influences include, are not limited to and in no particular order:Robert Heinlein, Terry Brooks, JRR Tolkien, Steven King, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Orson Scott Card (his writing books) and Max Lucado.

Rux

Welcome aboard Whitney.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Whitney. It's perfectly reasonable to crit before you submit. For me, the process of critiquing helps me see things in my own work that I might otherwise miss. It also spurs me on to try harder. (There are some pretty good stories that come through here).
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.