Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Editor Deja Vu

Author Topic: Editor Deja Vu
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All. Ok, I'm normally an observant person, but feel I have the proverbial egg on my face. This is how my thinking went, and then a question in hopes of enlightenment (or at least a way not to look like such an amateur):

1) Submit story to Analog.
2) Receive rejection.
3) Submit same story to Asimov's - note they have the same address as Analog - think "Hey, neat that they must share the same floor of a building."
4) Read that Dozois of Asimov's is stepping down, and Sheila Williams will be taking over. Wonder about that, since I thought Williams worked at Analog - but people do move around in the industry, and Williams has been around a long time, so it could make sense.
5) In past, had only skimmed mastheads of both magazines, given that the guidelines tell you who to submit too.
6) Last night, while wondering why the second -in-command at Asimov's wouldn't be taking over, and getting a funny feeling in my gut, I decide to read the mastheads of both mags.
7) Doh! Other than Schmidt and Dozois, THEY HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME STAFF MEMBERS - WITH THE EXACT SAME TITLES AT EACH MAGAZINE (except for Trevor Quachri, who is "Technical Assistant" at Asimov's, and "Associate Editor" at Analog). Sheila Williams IS the second-in-command at Asimov's.

Ok, now that I am blushing over info you all probably knew, here is my question. You write a story, and decide to send it to one of the magazines, and it gets rejected. Is there any point in sending to the other, given that they have the same staff making the decision? Why waste paper, ink, and postage? Ok, maybe they have some interns or slushpile readers that are unique to them, and yes, they don't publish exactly the same things... but honestly, someone gets your story, rejects it for Analog, then gets it AGAIN for Asimov's... how fast can you say rejection?

So my thinking is, in the future, after I've written a story, and I send to one and it gets rejected, I won't be sending it to the other.

Any solid, real world evidence that this is wrong thinking?

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking into both Asimov's and Analog and this is what I found. Asimov's wants stories that are more character driven while Analog wants stories that are more science driven. The information I found said to submit to the magazines separately.

Basically, if the science wasn't the strongest part of your story, then it might not have been the best choice for Analog. If your story has really strong characters then Asimov's might pick it up.

Another note: I'm not sure how current my info is, but I have Stanley Schmidt listed as the editor for Analog and Sheila Williams as editor for Asimov's.

Not sure if this is helpful

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robyn Hood! Yes, that is the correct information - I sent the same story to Sheila Williams at Asimov's, and it was rejected. It is not the rejections that concern me (I expect them) but the idea that it's all the same people looking at what we are sending. Can you imagine an editor at the mags receiving a story submitted to Analog, which is really good but better fitted to Asimov's style, rejecting it and hoping the author will resubmit it to Asimov's?

I'm thinking my story fit the following scenario better:

Editor wearing Analog hat: "Gee, this story is a little weak in science (or whatever - weak somehow) - reject."

Same editor recieves story wearing Asimov's hat: "Gee, I just saw this..."

Ok, maybe they reread it for character - NOT!

Yes, we are sending to Schmidt or Williams, and long ago Schmidt said he looked at every submission he got, but considering the number of submissions they get, I doubt stories go directly to them. Maybe they have totally separate slushpile readers... but it honestly looks like they have exactly the same staff.

(Poor Mary Grant - listed as "Editorial Assistant" for both - sorting mail in two piles, then spending the morning looking at Asimov's submissions, rejecting 95%, then passing on the other 5%... and her afternoon spent looking at Analog submissions, rejecting 95%, passing on the other 5%... OK, just theorizing, but betting something like that happens!)

Absolutely I carefully considered their guidelines to determine where the story should go first - it was more a science/idea story, with an mc people liked. I had also read two stories in Analog recently that were definitely the same sort of thing.

I just feel stupid that, after receiving the rejection, that I sent it to Asimov's (people really liked my character, so I decided maybe I had a shot there - but I expect to receive many more rejections before something sells - I know that!). If it had been a good enough story, just not strong enough in the science part for Analog, perhaps they would have considered it for Asimov's (though I did not send it that way).

Or maybe they just want to you spend your money twice. But I doubt it.

I'm thinking that if you carefully consider the guidelines, and send to the one your story fits better, and it gets rejected, then there is practically zero point in sending it to the other. Now if you send a fantasy story to Analog, you deserve to spend double your money so it can be considered for the more appropriate magazine. And if your characters aren't strong enough, why are you submitting in the first place?!

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Might I suggest sending a polite query letter to the editor of Analog/Assimov's and just ask him if he considers a stroy for both magazines when he reads? I don't think editors mind questions like that and perhaps you will prompt them to make a notation on their web page to still future confusion. And when you find out the answer, post it here because I'd sure love to know the answer!
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read all of the posts, so someone else may have said this, but I'm in a bit of a hurry and didn't want to make you wait any longer for the information.

They do NOT share stories between ASIMOV'S and ANALOG. If the editor of one thinks it might be right for the other magazine, he or she may say so in the rejection letter, but he or she will absolutely NOT show it to the other editor. You sent it to that editor and he or she doesn't have your permission to show it to anyone else.

Yes, the staff is the same, but that's office staff and production staff. They don't use the same first readers (if they use first readers--Gardner did his own first reading and I think Stanley does too).

So don't figure that they've already seen it.

You did exactly right by sending it to one magazine and then sending it to the other. When it comes to stories, they are totally separate entities.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Thanks Christine! Though now I guess I don't need to...

Kathleen - thank you for both the information, the explanation, and the assurance. I have to admit to a niggling feeling deep down that in the future, if a story I send isn't good enough for one, it won't be good enough for the other (ignoring appropriateness of subject and focus)... but if I get that comment on the rejection I will definitely follow up on it!

Of course, I'll have to write a ton more stories before I qualify for hand-written notes on a rejection

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm being naively optimistic here, and I also have not been published yet, so take the following with a grain of salt:

Why do you say you have to write many more stories before you can write one that won't get regected? Either you think your stories aren't good enough to submit yet, in which case, why are you submitting them?
Or you just assume that your stories won't look good to other people for a while yet. If you think that, you are probably unconsciously undermining your own work as you write it; after all, if you don't think it is good how can anyone else?

Maybe I'm totally wrong but this is how I view the writing process: like any other craft, I am going through the stages of apprentice, journeyman, and master.

Does the apprentice woodworker immediately expect to sell his first chair to a fine furniture store? As a rule, no. Now there may be the occasional apprentice who's first chair is already of that quality, but most craftsmen don't start that way. Most apprentices shouldn't take that first chair and try peddling it right away, they should focus on making more and better chairs (especially us self-taught apprentices).

So which stage are you in? If you have reached the journeyman stage, then definitely peddle your wares; they may not be the best in the world yet but they will be good, and worth money. In which case you shouldn't have the attitude that you are going to be rejected for a long time to come; you should expect to start selling your stories soon.

If you are still an apprentice, then focus most of your energy on becoming a journeyman instead of trying, and failing, to sell apprentice level wares.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the relevant aphorism here is "Don't reject your story yourself. That's the editor's job." As well as the good old "Start at the top of the food chain, because if it sells at the semipro level first you'll never get another shot to sell first rights, and you'll never know what Might Have Been."
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Well, part of it would be general self-esteem issues that are complicated. For example - I got straight A's in French. But I never really thought a lot of them - I figured it was just because French was easy to learn. My head told me that was stupid - my hard work and love of the language earned the A's, while some other part of me failed to appreciate what they represented.

Part of it is reading what other authors and teachers say about this. The comments about having a million words worth of 'junk' or whatever that you need to get out before you write well enough to sell (yes, poorly paraphrased - sorry). Stories about successful writers with their stacks of rejections - papering walls, filling files, etc. Stephen King didn't stop sending stories just because he got lots of rejections - you write the best you can at the time you are writing, get rejected, and keep writing. You learn from the process, and you get better. How will I know I'm improving if I don't submit, and get rejected, and then submit, and get rejected, and submit, and get accepted?!

I've read in several places that you aim for publication (ok, not all will agree with that - that's fine, but it makes sense to me!) - and if that is your aim, then you need to be submitting. Not everyone can be accepted every time.

I think the story I sent was a good one - the first one I really felt was worth sending. So did my final readers. It took 5 months and 11 revisions and tons of critiques, and will now undergo a 12th revision after two new readers did critiques. But as the first story I sent out, I just expected that I was nowhere near where I need to be as far as experience was concerned, and that it would be rejected (no matter how good I thought it to be!).

Does that mean my heart didn't skip a little, in hopes that when I opened my SASE that I wouldn't find more than the xeroxed rejection (not pink!) and my first page? No - of course I had hopes. But I wasn't destroyed by the rejection because I know I'm just starting (relatively speaking).

I have stories that won't leave my house. But I do think I'm beyond the apprentice stage, to use your appropriate metaphor. I am not going to be egotistical in public and say YES, my stories will sell. I will say that I expect rejections, and hope for acceptances - nice and humble. (But just between you and me, I expect, some day, to sell!)

Part of it is tongue-in-cheek. And partly you are right - my husband constantly threatens to beat me with a self-esteem stick. Deep down, I like what I'm writing. There is no way I would send out something I don't consider "good enough." But that's just enough to get the story in the mail. It's the editor who truly gets to decide if it is "good enough."

I appreciate your words autumnmuse. Just because you haven't been published doesn't mean they are naive or optimistic. I think they were heart-felt and well-meant, and I thank you

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

quote:
I think the relevant aphorism here is "Don't reject your story yourself. That's the editor's job." As well as the good old "Start at the top of the food chain, because if it sells at the semipro level first you'll never get another shot to sell first rights, and you'll never know what Might Have Been."

Yes, Gen, exactly! I read something where an editor was wroth with a writer - something about the writer should not be doing the editor's job. Also, I am following the 'start at the top' advice! My next two are headed (hopefully) to F&SF, and WOTF. Hmmm, maybe I should go work on them now, instead of posting

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we need to be a little realistic too. The truth is that even a good story may be passed over by an editor if the author is unknown. They are in the business of selling magazines and recognizable names do that. That's not to say that a high profile magazine like Assimov's or Analog can't throw in the ocassional unknown, but that unknown is not going to have to be *as good as* the established writers, he's got to be better. At least, at a major name like that.

I have a sense that while it is always a good idea to start your stories at the top and work your way down, your sales are ultimately going to start at the bottom and work their way up as an inverse to your marketing pattern.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
So the moral of the story is: Start at the top, but don't get too terribly discouraged by rejections at that level. Just keep submitting down the chain.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add that if you send the best you can do, and you keep learning and growing and sending the best you can do as you learn and grow, those editors at the top are going to be watching you. As your work improves, they will start opening your envelopes with hope that maybe this one will be the one they can buy.

Christine is right that an unknown author needs to be better than instead of as good as the known authors. The thing is, most magazine editors have to keep looking for new authors because the book publishers tend to encourage short story authors to write novels for them, and the magazines need "new blood" all the time.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.