Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Does reading nonfiction affect you fiction writing?

Author Topic: Does reading nonfiction affect you fiction writing?
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I started to mention this on my setting thread, but I was wondering what you all thought.

I always despised when someone would come on the boards and say they write fiction, but don’t read it. Firstly, I had no interest in nonfiction. But more importantly, I thought that with not experiencing what you hoped to achieve, you really can’t do it properly.

A football player who never watched football? A violist who never listened to orchestra music? Didn’t make sense.

Well, I got the idea in my head of writing a historical fiction piece. (ideas to try a new genre usually start with me saying to myself, “I could never write a _________ novel.” Which then becomes a personal challenge to not only my writing chops, but my manhood as well.)

Anyway, I chose the American Revolution as I’ve always had a passing interest in the epoch, and my casual research soon turned into a full blown obsession with late 18th century American History. I bought a cocked hat, and a years pass to Colonial Williamsburg, and read nothing but history books for the last year. (may a suggest anything by Gordon Wood and Joseph J. Ellis)

During that time, I hadn’t written much (absolutely nothing on the historical fiction piece I had floating around in my head) and I started to dust of one of my stories I’ve been trying to get up to snuff for a while.

I have to say that it’s a painstakingly agonizing experience. Nothing flows, nothing comes easy. All the sentences that used to be on the tip of my fingers are no longer there. They’re all choppy and awkward. Everything sounds amateurish and worst yet, half-assed.

So, anyone think this has anything to do with reading only nonfiction for the last year? Anyone have a similar experience.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
John

This may be totally of the wall, and if so, just shrug and blow me off (my wife does it all the time!), but I think it has nothing to do with reading non-fiction and everything to do with:

1) getting out of the habit of writing, and
2) having the emotional need (that was fulfilled by the writing) satisfied instead by the research/reading.

No?

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 24, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

quote:
1) getting out of the habit of writing,

yeah, that proably has a lot to do with it, and I think the nonfiction on top of that didn't help.

quote:
2) having the emotional need (that was fulfilled by the writing) satisfied instead by the research/reading.

This was what I was afraid of.

I had been working on a 140,000 tome, that I had finished. It's a story of unrequited love, inspired by this girl, Samantha, I'd been chasing for a couple of years. Well, we had a fallen and shortly thereafter ( a little over a year ago) I met my current girlfriend, Charmaine.

Well, with Charmaine in the picture, Samantha was out, and while I always intended (and still do) to get back to the novel Samantha inspired, it doesn’t hold the same interest.

Gotta say, my writing has been crap ever since.

I guess Charmaine was that emotional need. As much as I love her she hasn't been great on my writing. A story where everything is great just isn't that fun.

Just need to figure out a different place to write from.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited September 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited September 24, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
During that time, I hadn’t written much (absolutely nothing on the historical fiction piece I had floating around in my head) and I started to dust of one of my stories I’ve been trying to get up to snuff for a while.

Something that I know to be true for myself (and something I've heard others say, too) is that when I take a hiatus from writing, I come back to my old stuff and I can see just how bad it is, where I need to improve and what needs to be cut.

It can be difficult getting back into the writing because I can now see what I did wrong, but that doesn't mean I know how to make it right.

All this can be a good thing! ! When it happens it is usually a clue that you are growing and maturing as a person and as a writer.

How can you do X if you have never experienced it? Good question. In writing there is more than one way to interpret this:

1. How can you write about history if I don't know about history?

2. How can you write fiction if you don't read it?

3. How can you write something people will want to read if you don't know what makes something readable?

It sounds like you have done more than just research history, you have researched how to write interesting, informative prose. If you have spent the last year doing proportionately more reading than writing, you should have a better feel for what is good and what isn't. It will take a while to encorporate that into writing better, but it will come .

Keep working at

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, anyone think this has anything to do with reading only nonfiction for the last year?

Ya know, I gotta agree with mikemunsil on this. You just don't want to write.

I absolutely could not read just nonfiction for a year and not find something totally fascinating to put into my writing, and not be totally on the prowl for fiction about the subject of the nonfiction.

My non-fic obsession for the past year or so has been Arthur of Camelot. I bet I've read forty books--both fiction and non--on him. And the more I read the more I want to come up with answers to all the mysteries of his life, and to fill unexplored niches in the fiction environment. For instance, at least half, if not more, of the Arthur fiction out there is written in first person from Merlin's POV. Kinda funny since it's unlikely Merlin/Myrddin would have had much influence on the real Arthur.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Well, I have read some fiction bboks about the American Revolution and they have influenced, but in a different way.

The books I've read are so god awful (ie Jimmy Carter's The Hormet's Nest), I want to write something good. My style, and themes trasnported (in a historically accurate manner) into 18th century America.

I have some ideas floating around just nothing concrete, and EVERY time I try to work on ANYTHING it just doesn't come out.

It just seems...lacking...muddled...i don't know.

I'm gonna keep plugging away. I think part of the reason is I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to comeplete (a totally edited beginning, middle, and end)

I'm gonna get!

JOHN!

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you thought about using this idea for NaNoWriMo?

From what I've heard, it is a good way to force yourself to just write, regardless of how good or bad it may be. The emphasis is on just getting the story out of you without worrying about editing along the way. It forces you to mute your internal editor just long enough to write a first draft.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't seriously distinguish between fiction and non-fiction in my reading.

Sure, that sounds funny, doesn't it? But it's true on several levels. For one thing, well written prose is well written prose. Vivid and engaging description, a solid focus on the main points of the story, writing so that the reader can understand, these things are not different between good non-fiction and good fiction.

Also, as a reader, I never turn off my BS detectors. I always read everything as if it were a fictionalized account that may (or may not) have something to do with reality. Frankly, given the amount of different "non-fiction" I read, this is the only way to avoid living inside a psychotic episode (like most people seem to do ).

So I don't think that your problem has anything to do with having done a lot of "non-fiction" reading over the past year. I won't make any guesses as to what the problem might actually be, because everyone's different.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to cure this is to start writing in a notebook. Don't try to make the writing sing; just write. And don't write aimlessly, either. Work on your story. Sketch out scenes. Work on your characters. Work on your setting. Stuff like that. It'll come back sooner or later.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
How can anyone write a non-fictional book about Arthur of Camelot? The stories about him and the knights of the round table were spread by the church to promote Christianity in a time when most people couldn't read. Hence all the talk about purity etc...
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yanos, you just wrote what could be considered nonfiction about Arthur and Camelot. Someone could write a whole book about Christianity's promulgation of the Arthurian legend and call it nonfiction.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I would argue that yanos' version is equally fictional. Stories of Arthur were almost already in circulation, but became Christianized after the fact.

Or perhaps more Christianized, as it seems probable that if there was a "real" Arthur, he might well have been nominally a Christian.

It even seems probable that the "original" Arthurian story was a tragedy about how a promising young king of Briton ruined his life by converting to Christianity. So the story started as a bit of propaganda to promote adherence to the old pagan religion.

But all these stories are fictional too. Calling them "nonfiction" is simply a ploy to get people to believe them.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
But a book or article or paper or whatever talking about that possible use of the Arthurian legend could be called nonfiction as long as it was based on a well-argued and (I hope) well-supported theory.

I'm just trying to say that you can write nonfiction about fiction. I remember being told one time, after saying that I had written some articles about the STAR WARS movies (particularly THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK), that you couldn't write nonfiction about STAR WARS because STAR WARS wasn't true.

I submit that you jolly well can whether STAR WARS is true or not.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

(I know this is not really on topic but I found it interesting in terms of the Arthurian discussion )

Something I found out about the Arthurian legends is that originally there was no Lancelot and no Guenevere. They were added to the legend a few hundred years after the original.

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know they were. I understand that Camelot was a reference to the Roman town of Camulodunum, known in modern times as Colchester. It was almost certainly added to the story at a later date, as it is in completely the wrong part of the country to tie in with the rest of the story...
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Just wanted to chime in and say non-fiction can be written about ANYTHING, and can really not be exhausted. Even if were not talking about Arthurian legend or the Holy Trilogy (ie Star Wars). My girlfriend could never understand how I could read book after book on the American Revolution, and I had a HARD time explaining exactly how the same information from a different author (arguing a total different point) was very intresting.

The real reaoson I logged on is to let you all know I'm changing my name to Stella...

BECAUSE I JUST GOT MY GROOVE BACK!!!!

JOHN!

djvdakota
Member # 2002

You GO, girl (er, boy, er, you're not considering a sex change operation now are you?)!

Back to Arthur:

Kathleen is absolutely right. There are dozens and dozens of nonfiction books that examine the legends or examine the evidence of the truth of Arthur. You don't call a college textbook studying short stories a work of fiction. It's nonfiction because it's ABOUT works of fiction rather than actually being a self-contained work of fiction. Get it?

Second, I'm an Arthur geek. I've read so much about Arthur my eyes are turning royal purple. The VAST bulk of the evidence concerning the 'so called' High King of Britain was written centuries after his lifetime. We can't rely on any of it, particularly since it's so OBVIOUSLY dramatized. Do I believe Arthur existed? Absolutely! Do I believe he was High King of Britain? I have serious doubts. After much reading and research and pondering of my own, I'm tending to fall in this guy's camp, though some of his assertions are not as well backed as others, and he admits as such:

http://www.legendofkingarthur.com/

It's a downloadable 118 page Adobe Acrobat file. Very interesting.

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, I did get a reaction, didn't I. I guess what perturbs me the most is that there are so many people writing books about a subject where there is so little evidence. It is extremely unlikely that there was ever a king called Arthur, and the person the stories may have been based around would not have been high king of Britain. Myth and more myth.

I beleive recent research has found evidence that the "King Arthur" may have been based near Colchester. After all, the good thing about a story is that the details can be changed.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur alway seems to get a reaction. In college I did a course on Celtic Civilisation and on the first day our charming lecturer walked in, welcomed us and informed us that Arthur never existed.

Pandemonium ensued!

[This message has been edited by RFLong (edited September 28, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

quote:
...our charming lecturer walked in, welcomed us and informed us that Arthur never existed.

Not an uncommon theory these days, and the arguments have merit. However, the preponderance of stories as well as the endurance of them leads me to believe otherwise. I, personally, believe that all legend has basis in fact. I'd just really like to know the facts, or at least to come to a soundly reasoned theory of what they might have been. That's why the book in the link above is so intriguing for me.

And as far as people writing books about something for which there is so little evidence--when you have an appealing and enduring story there will always be people interested in reading more about it. And for me it is the LACK of evidence that keeps me reading and searching and hoping that one day some great breakthrough will be made and I shall finally KNOW Arthur. Until then I amuse myself with the theories--both ridiculous and plausible.

And someday you'll find on bookstore shelves a historic novel with my name on it that is written from Arthur's POV. That's what's missing, for me, from the Arthurian collection--a tale told in ARthur's voice, a tale that explores Arthur the MAN instead of others' perceptions of him, a tale that will let him speak for himself. If anyone has done this before now I'd like to know it. I haven't found anything remotely like this yet. Still searching.

Survivor
Member # 213

Arthur's a tragic hero. I don't know that it is very common to write about tragic heroes from their own points of view.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Perhaps not. But do-able?

My greatest trouble with all the other versions written from some observer's POV is that Arthur seems so often to become lost in his own story, ya know? For instance, Jack Whyte's stories lose Arthur in the milieu of the fifth century Britain. The Broken Sword series loses Arthur in the telling of Galahad's story. The Mists of Avalon is Morgaine's story. The Once and Future King is about a simpering fool who can't make decisions on his own. The Crystal Cave series is Merlin's story with just a flavor of Arthur. The original tales are simply ridiculous.

I want to know Arthur. I want to explore his heart. Shakespeare does an amazing job of exploring the heart of his tragic figures, and telling at least much of the story from their POV. Hamlet's laments, etc. Sure, I know, it's a play. Plays are different. But really, can't something like that be done in a novel? And done well? I assure, if I can't do it well, I won't do it. Which is why it's a future project, rather than a right now project.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited September 28, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

The closest I've seen to something from Arthur's POV is Disney's The Sword in the Stone. I know this is a kids movie, but I loved it when I was little and I love it still.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I think Rosemary Sutcliff's SWORD AT SUNSET is from Arthur's point of view, but I'm not sure. I read it a long time ago.
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Robyn, the Disney movie is loosely based on T.H. White's Once and Future King, or the beginning of it, anyway. That's the book that got me hooked on Arthur, and the one I compare all others to.

Stephen R Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle is good, too, though I haven't read it in a while, and I can't remember how exactly it compares.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Each book in The Pendragon Cycle was written from a different POV I think - Taliesin, Merlin and then Arthur. It was very interesting, tying in Atlantis and Menoan (Cretan) culture as well as the Celtic.

David Gemmel wrote an Arthur story too which I really enjoyed - it contained some really good twists and took a stance that it was the origins of the legend, laced through a fantasy world. Ghost King, I think.

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that my favorite King Arthur story (completely non-historical, of course) is a two-book scifi/fantasy children's series by Pamela F. Service. (Winter of Magic's Return; Tomorrow's Magic) If you want a really entertaining retelling of the future of the Arthurian legend, I would definitely recommend it. I haven't read it for a while, though, so I don't know whether it is too young for adults...

Ok, I'd still recommend it.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.