Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » London

Author Topic: London
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
There seem to be quite a few UK natives/residents lingering around here so I thought I'd ask: Where's the best place to go in London? The sort of place that epitomizes British culture and makes for the best inspiration for short stories? I'll be there with my husband in late November, the week of Thanksgiving (which thankfully has no meaning in the UK so I won't have to eat all those nasty Thanksgiving foods...yeah, yeah, I'm a little weird like that.) Any thoughts? I ohnly have a week so I have to make it count.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm...I did live in London for a while, but I'm not British so I can't help on the typical culture. However, if you want something typical of the French diaspora, try the area of South Kensington around the French Lycée Charles de Gaulle (in case you want to write something about expatriates).
I know, this is really helpful <grin>

Offhand, I'd say anywhere in London epitomises British culture.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is a little off topic in respect to what you're really asking for but I saw a cool thing you can do while you're in London. Apparently, you can take a Jack the Ripper tour. Might be a little greusome but then again, might be totally facinating. I'm sorry I didn't pay close enough attention to the who-for's and where-at's info, but I'm sure the tourguide has a website. It's a nighttime tour, and he takes you to the places the victims were found and other interesting bits about the murders.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Not off topic at all, that sounds neat! I'm going to have to do a search for it or maybe ask the travel agent we booked through if he knows anything.
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, for historic culture maybe one of the palaces, like Buckingham or Kensington. They would give an idea for the kind of thing to expect in the houses of royalty (yeah, okay, that's kind of obvious I suppose ) Or there's the Tower of London, Hampton Court and the London Dungeon might be interesting. And I suppose the Changing of the Guard is a pretty English thing as well.

There's plenty to do and see at Hyde Park I believe, although it has been a long time since I've been there. You could also visit St Paul's Cathedral or a number of various museums too, depending on your tastes.

I don't know much about restaurants or nightlife and stuff but there's probably a tourist website around somewhere that could help or other people may know of some good places to go.

Edit: found a site that might be useful to you http://www.londontourist.org

[This message has been edited by Gwalchmai (edited October 11, 2004).]

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news. I did some surfing on the web and it looks like most of the walk tours including the Jack the Ripper ones end around Halloween time. I imagine its because it starts to get really, really cold, if not snowy, around that time.

However, in case you were curious, I think I found the one that I saw that was featured on the Travel channel.

www.walks.com

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I had less than a day in London, so I took one of those double-decker tour bus rides all the way around the town and then visited Westminster Abbey. If I could have stayed longer, I would have gone to Hyde Park.

I think you can get a ticket for those tour buses that lets you get off at whatever spot interests you, and then get on again and ride till you come to the next spot that interests you, and so on, getting on and off again as many times as you can manage in one day. I'd go the full round first, though, or take a couple of days to do the whole thing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering where the best place to go in New YOrk was that would epitomise the American culture?

Ok, not to put too fine a point on it, London is a cosmopolitan city and reflects that in many ways. If you want to see something more definitely British try a day visit to somewhere like Oxford or Bath. There you will see history and everyday life. Actually Lincoln is one of my favourites. As it is small enough to see in a short time and pretty enough to be worth it, although quite cold at this time of year.

Even London itself has many different parts. The south of London is much different to the East. So perhaps Kathleen's idea is best. The bus tours are a good way of finding something of interest to you.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the Oxford ghost tours, if they're still running.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Well, duh, yanos. I aws just trying to find a way to say that I was looking for something that most tourists wouldn't necessarily go see....something that isn't just a touristy part of the city but a real part of the daily or nightly life ot the city.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited October 12, 2004).]

Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to see an everyday part of life in London, take the underground to different places. The majority of commuters take it. You can get a day pass fairly cheap. I was there last year, stayed outside of London and took the train in every day. It was the most interesting place to watch how Londoners interacted. There were not many tourists on the trains especially outside the city. I would also recommend the boat tour of the Thames. You get a different perspective of the city. You can almost squint your eyes and see London how it was when river traffic was its heart.

In London I enjoyed the Tower of London the most and then the British museum. I will admit that I am a history buff though.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
The Portabello Row Market, the West End Theatre scene, Regents Park... Take a day trip to Lyme-Regis by the sea. Cambridge. The suggestion of taking the Tube is definitely good. I also find that the Rough Guide travel books give good advice on out of the way, and inexpensive ideas.

Even though its touristy, the New Globe Theater is worth a visit.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Touristy? Something related to Shakespeare? Never.

I live about 30 miles from Stratford upon Avon, which is possibly the most touristy town I've ever seen. And it spills over into Warwick, where I work. ("Oh, so that's where Shakespeare was born? How nice. What shall we do this afternoon?" "Well it says here there's a castle in Warwick, which is only 20 miles away")

In the summer, it's hard to get out of the office door for the photographers after a picture of the church up the road...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I was only in London for a weekend last May, but by far my favorite part was the London Eye. It's like a big Ferris wheel over the Thames, just opposite the House of Lords. It takes about half an hour, and you get gorgeous arial views of a large part of the city.

Madame Taussaud's was mildly interesting, but not anywhere near interesting enough to cover the entrance fee.

I enjoyed the West End theatres, but even though Mousetrap is the most famous production there since it's been running over fifty years, I found it rather predictable and, again, not worth the money.

We made the mistake of taking a taxi through downtown London on a Saturday night. The pedestrians walked faster than traffic moved, and we watched the fees mount with horror. Eventually we gave up, paid the exorbitant taxi bill, found a tube, and went back to the hotel that way. We stayed at a really beautiful little hotel with a four-star rating, called The Gore, but I think it was overrated for the money as well.

As far as atmosphere goes, eat at little pubs off the beaten track if you want genuine ambience. That works in Scotland, anyway, which is where we spent most of our vacation since my hubby is Glaswegian.

I wish I could tell you more, but we didn't have time to get really immersed.

One other interesting thing I noticed: in America there aren't street vendors on every corner with nude posters and false boobs for sale, but apparently it is de rigour over there. I'm glad we didn't have any kids with us!!

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many places that tourists wouldn't see. Using the tube is a good idea. Just try for random places on the tube map. Remember 99% of London is for people who live there not the toursts.

Or even better, buy an A-Z (sold virtually everywhere) and just hit the streets with your best walking shoes. I usually do this when I travel, and I find it is the best way to get to know a place quickly. Take this from someone who has visited over 10 countries, and who has worked in 5.

Covent Gardens is good for the ambience in the evening, especially after a show in the west end.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone for their help.
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Right-o. I just got an email regarding this topic...

In no particular order:

Okay, there are a few touristy things that you should consider; the most important is riding on the London Eye. This is a huge Ferris-Wheel thing that let's you see pretty much the whole of London from the air. It's an amazing view and well worth the money. However, you should book your tickets in advance. If you don't, you'll have a hard time getting tickets for it (not impossible, but certainly most frustratingly difficult). Go here: http://www.londoneye.com/

Catch a play or a musical, there's plenty of them in the Theatre District and they aren't terribly expensive and they always start on time. Additionally, the National Opera House gives out £5 tours that are one of the best deals in town. It's a behind-the-scenes look at how it's all done, and very interesting even if Opera and Ballet isn't your cup o' tea. And the London Transport museum is nearby as well... London has the world's oldest and largest underground subway... It's certainly an impressive engineering feat.

When in London, look up. The architecture is astounding, and nearly every building is historic and has a story behind it. Looking up will mark you as a tourist, tho'. (Make sure you look down when crossing the streets.)

Dress warm, bring rain gear and umbrellas. You'll need them. It won't snow, it's too warm for that, but it does get windy and chilly. Bring comfy shoes, too... you'll be doing lots of walking! Oh, and be sure to buy Travelcards for traveling on the tubes, trains, and buses -- they are cheaper than buying tickets as you need them, and even less expensive if you buy them during "off-peak" travel times, which is anytime past 9:30am. Chances are that a Zone 1 and 2 Travelcard will cover most anywhere you need to go while staying here.

Don't be afraid to visit a London pub or two. Many have really great food (and if you and/or your husband play darts, all the better -- bring your darts!). If you like Indian food, then you will be in curry heaven! There's curry houses everywhere.

Visiting the parks and museums are definites. The British Musuem is amazing. Check out Speaker's corner in the northeast of Hyde Park , where people get up and talk and rant about whatever they want, crowds gather around them to listen, cheer or jeer them. Quite interesting. And you might even see Angelina Jolie tooling about there -- she lives in London.

Take the path less traveled: London has millions of tiny alleyways, squares and streets. Most of them are perfectly safe, though keep your eyes open for anything dodgy. Still, you'll find great restaurants tucked away here and there. For the better restaurants, visit the Covent Garden area. Most of have their menus posted outside the building so you can see what they offer and how much it will cost.

Oh, and most gratituities are included in your bill, usually at 10 or 15%. If you want to tip more, you can. Or, if you prefer, ask for your bill without the gratuity included and give them whatever you want to do. Perhaps the nicest thing about most restaurants here are that they don't force you out of the door after you eaten. You can hang out and chat for as long as you like.

Something you may not have considered is visiting Stonehenge. This is about an hour or so out of London and is easy-peasy to get to by train. Train tickets will be a fairly cheap (but remember that the British Pound "£" is twice as strong as the dollar, so the exchange rate is not in your favor).

Actually, the best stuff is outside of London (if you like rolling hills and greenery).

Picking up an "A to Z" (pronounced AY TOO ZED) is a good idea. They come in a variety of sizes, from pocket-sized to huge monstrosities that cover a 40-mile radius of London. There are plenty of tourist maps available for free in various places, too. Check your hotel lobby, they should have several for free. Don't buy them from the street vendors.

Safety: Surprisingly, London is quite safe, but you need to be careful nonetheless. First and foremost, if you take a taxi, ensure it is a proper "Black" taxi with the lighted sign on top. [Some drivers are known for being "chatty cabbies" and this can be interesting if you get one.] If someone comes up to you and asks if you need a taxi, ignore them or tell them "No, thanks!" and walk away. Many of them are illegal taxis and, more often than not, will rip you off. Only take the black taxis (which come in several colors, but most are black.) You have to hail them NYC style... if the light is on, the taxi is available.

As Kathleen mentioned, St. Paul's is nice and they are almost done restoring it to its full glory. Tours are inexpensive (free if you just visit the courtyard outside), but the cathedral closes rather early -- about 4pm or so. Plan ahead. There's also hundreds of lovely churches and churchyards scattered all over the place. It's hard to not stumble on them.

The double-decker bus tours are a good idea for your first day or two... just to familiarize yourself with the area. You don't have to do it, but it's sort of quaint.

Go for a stroll along the Embankment (if the weather is nice). Check out Hatton Garden, London's diamond and jewelry district. And Oxford Circus is the main shopping district, but beware, it's more pricey there.

Of course, there's always the infamous Tower of London...

And visiting Greenwich would be a good idea. It's one of the best places in London, in my opinion. Greenwich Park is beautiful and hosts the Royal Observatory, "where time begins." (Greenwich Mean Time.) My wife and I have picnics there, though admittedly usually during warm weather. I'm not sure if it's in Zone 2 or 3, it seems to be right on the edge...

Well, I've go on long enough. If you want to know more, just email me.

HSO

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowman
Member # 2204

- posted      Profile for Snowman   Email Snowman         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice HSO.

I would advise against stonehenge, unless you're particularly interested in that. It is quite an effort to get there, and you can only observe it from a distance now.

Visiting Cambridge or Oxford for a day is a good idea. About an hour by train to either - just make sure you get the express one.

Country Pubs in england are great. Rule #1 - must have a thatched roof.

Tower of London tours are great. Westminister Abbey is underrated. The musuems are great. There is a lot to do, it really all depends on your taste.

Hyde Park in the summer is the place I always like to go. I could spend hours just chilling listening to the random things people spurt out on people's corner. Not sure what it'll be like in november but have a look anyway.

If you are interested in plays, you can get tickets in Leicester Square. You can get them on the day (try to get them in the morning) for the afternoon/evening.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks for that long and detailed answer, HSO, there were a few gems in there.
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in London a couple times, and my advice would be: get away from the city. I was never able to, but from what I've heard, there is some great stuff in the countryside, or if you can make your way over to scotland or ireland.

And of course, you have to go see a play; le mis. is the obvious choice, but there are plenty of other great options.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

We considered a trip to scotland or ireland but the cost ran up sky high as soon as we left the city and wanted to tour the countryside; I'm not sure why. I'm still not ruling out a day trip, but mostly we're going to be in or near the city.
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
As a non-London-dwelling Brit, I'd concur with that. There are some interesting things to do in London, but it really isn't all that different from any other big city. And if what you want to do is learn about British culture: well, you can learn about London culture by watching British films - 99% are set there. The rest of the country is harder to find out about...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.