Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Genre: what is it good for?

Author Topic: Genre: what is it good for?
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I am coming to the conclusion that a writer who focuses too much on genre when writing is someone who is losing track of what they want to achieve. Is genre anything more than just a way to easily market books?

It seems to me that you should only worry about the genre of your story when it is finished. Trying to ensure that you have fulfilled all the criteria for a certain genre seems an ideal way to lose sight of your own goals for the story.

Anyone else got ideas on this matter. I was thinking about this when I realised that many fantasy stories have more "horror elements" than some commonly known horror stories/movies. After all, what are the ringwraiths?

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The word "genre" is a good example of how denotation and connotation can be very different.

The word's denotation is "kind" or "type" and at one time, I believe, referred to the distinctions between essays, poems, epics, novels, romances (when that word denoted adventure stories), plays, and so on.

It has now taken on the connotation of "marketing category" as yanos points out, and the purpose of a marketing category is basically to tell the bookseller which shelf to put the book on.

Also, as yanos points out, sometimes there is an awful lot of overlap between marketing categories.

The main reason people worry about marketing categories is that it will often help to sell a story if the sales people can put it into a marketing category, and it will often hurt a story's chances of being purchased by a publisher if the sales people think they can't put it into a marketing category.

If the story is good enough, though, it can actually start its own marketing category (also known as "books like that" until a more specific name comes along). (An example of that is William Gibson's NEUROMANCER which got the marketing category of cyberpunk going. Now those books have been absorbed back into the marketing category of science fiction, but at one time, they were considered by some to be in a class by themselves.)

So, if you focus on writing a story good enough, maybe the marketing category won't matter for it either.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I generally agree--when writers says in some kind of a priori way, "I'm going to write a SF story," or, "I'm want to be a SF writer," those writers are setting themselves up for a fall. I know, because I've done it myself. If you're a real writer, you have to write the stories that come to you, regardless of what they are.

However . . . .

There are a few things to think about. Most writers make a name for themselves writing one kind of story. For all practical purposes Stephen King is known as a horror writer, even though he's written mainstream fiction, thrillers, fantasy, and wonky sci-fi (as opposed to SF). Orson Scott Card is known as a SF writer even though he also has written mainstream and fantasy. So in a certain sense, you as a writer have to determine what kind of stories you most often like to tell so that you know what genre to market your work as. That's how you develop an audience and make a name for yourself.

And there's another reason, too. You have to know what to read. Yes, you need to read what you want when you want, but if you've determined that you a horror writer (by which I mean you see patterns in your reading habits and your story telling), then, by gum, you better start reading a lot of horror. You better be well versed in the history of the genre. You better know what you're doing if you want to succeed.

Does that make sense?

An annoying autobiographical proof:

I know this from experience. When I started writing, I decided in some a priori way that I wanted to write SF and fantasy. Try as I might, I kept failing. Finally I had to admit that I'm not much of a SF and fantasy fan. Oh, don't get me wrong--there's a handful of SF and fantasy stories and authors I enjoy, but not many. I based my decision because of those novels that I thoroughly enjoyed. But once I released myself from that burdern and began to write what I wanted, I found that I tended toward mainstream, horror, and contemporary fantasy (or whatever the hell it's called). I think this kind of problem plagues those who come to writing later in life; we lack the childlike attitude to be free when it comes to writing. We need to develop a five-year plan, have our goals in line, and work to achieve it. And that simply doesn't work. It didn't work for me, at any rate.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 15, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I find much of what Balthasar said is true for myself. Having read OSC's take on genre and the "genre ghetto" (and how it's a particularly American thing), I felt like I understood how genre is both trapping and freeing.

I thought I was headed straight for the science fiction ghetto, but the more I wrote, the more I realized I hated trying to get the science believable and accurate. I just didn't want to do that much work, work defined as tasks which I loathed.

So I backed away and asked myself what kind of books did I enjoy reading? More importantly, what books changed my life the most? Without question, the two books that changed my life the most were LOTR and John Crowley's Aegypt. That was my "a-ha" moment. I realized I wanted to write the kind of stories I loved to read for myself. That puts me pretty squarely in the fantasy genre, and I feel quite happy and comfortable there.

It is no less work, but it work defined as tasks which I enjoy doing; they are of a different nature. And I do not feel out of focus about my writing. When I get published, I will not worry one bit that "fantasy" will be its display category. I feel no urge to write any other kind of fiction. Maybe I'm a little singular in that way. I've notice that some of the best fantasy (and SF, too) sometimes escapes from the ghetto and is found on the literary fiction section; for example: Neal Stephenson, John Crowley, J.K. Rowling, and Susanna Clarke.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited October 16, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.