Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » the 'story-teller' device

Author Topic: the 'story-teller' device
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm planning on writing a story using a style i've used before...

the problem is that i've only ever used this style for short stories, and so the 'story-teller' device is only used twice, once in the beginning, and once at the end...

i am planning on trying to write a novel using this same device... in case you don't know what i'm talking about, a 'story-teller' device is where you use a party completely individual from the story to narrate it... a story-teller.

anyways, the only novels i have read using this device have been rather unsuccessful at maintaining my attention, and it's looking like my story may end up the same...

i guess what i'm really asking is, does anyone here have any experience with this device and could lend me some pointers? maybe tell me some books that they feel made good use of it?

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the whole Alvin Maker series uses it well. As does the Series of Unfortunate events. The Great Gatsby, to a certain extent. I think part of the key to these is that the story-teller has some connection to the story, even if it's loose. I think when the story is more than something they've heard about, when there's a personal connection--I'm not saying that they are a player in the story--then a story-teller can help us experience the emotions of the moment by having an emotional response to the story himself.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mary hit it on the nose the first time.

But also consider, if it's not working, just don't use it at all. If it's coming across as uninteresting to you, why do you still want to use this method?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is important to you to use the story-teller device, then MaryRobinette hit the nail on the head. I would add that somewhere in the tale, probably at the end, the story-teller must also have an impact on the story.

For instance, a series of ghost tales narrated by the teller in such a manner that he/she seems to have some connection to those involved. Between the tales the narrator and a listener talk about them. During the course of the telling the listener begins to realize that something is not right, and at the end of the last tale confronts the narrator. The narrator's reply confirms the suspicion and sets the hook. "You're right. We did all die."

If it is not important, then Christine's advice also rings true. However, it must be important to you or you wouldn't have brought it up, no?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything so far. The only other thing that came to mind when you started the thread, was (as Mike suggested) inserting the storyteller at strategic points. My thought was perhaps the beginning and end of each chapter.

I can't help thinking about Peter Falk in The Princess Bride. Whenever I think Story teller, that's who I think of.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
ok... i'm thinking i'll put the narrator as a party who is seeing many of the events, knew about the events before they started happening, and feels that the story bears telling to all the ages of man.

it's mainly the first chapter that's going to be a problem... the first chapter is supposed to grab attention, but mine is sounding far too expository to me...

at first i thought i'd try to start off using the device, but i have a feeling i'm going to need to start with a first-person pov and switch later into the 'story-teller' device...

anyways, after i feel more comfortable, i'll post a little bit on the fragments board... i already posted something related to the story, that poem ^^

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" was a masterful use of the storyteller device (if I understand what you mean by it). If you haven't read it, you might check that out.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Once character recounting a long, involved story to another character gives you a first-person story within a third-person (or yet another first person) story, like Ann Rice's Vampire chronicles. Each new vampire told huge chunks of their life stories to the narrating character.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, the narrator already knows about the events before they happen, AND is taking part in the events? Now THERE is an interesting POV character, if you can pull it off! Can he change the course of the events, if so, why doesn't he? Etc.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, this reply is the 24th, is it?

I think that it is far more important that the narrator partake of events than take part. That is to say, it is more important that the narrator be affected by the events of the story than that the events of the story be affected by the narrator.

Even though a character has a large impact on the plot, that character could still be largely oblivious to the real impact of the story. Conversely, even though another character might have very little power over events, that character might have a lot at stake. The narrator should be a character that cares about the story enough to tell it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The narrator should be a character that cares about the story enough to tell it.

Excellent point, Survivor! I strongly second that.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.