Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Days Like These

Author Topic: Days Like These
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes as writers we are called upon to write complex emotionsal situations and the best thing to do is to call upon our own experience. How would someone normally react when their heart is being ripped in two? What does that feel like so I can write it? What if something really good and really bad happens at the same time, how does that feel and what are you consumed with?

Yesterday my husband and I put a contract on a house and today the accepted it -- our first house. We were excited about it and everything was going well until we came home and could not find one of our cats. We looked everyone in the apartment and I tried to tempt her with cat treats and she didn't come. She's not here. She slipped out sometime this afternoon and we don't know where. She's an indoor kitty, without any front claws. (She wasn't supposed to go outside.) She itty bitty and I'm really upset about it.

So I cried and couldn't get excited about the house at all; it's all just kind of blah. And then I wandered onto hatrack and realized I'd just learned something about real human emotions that I can file away for a later date. Sadness will overwhelm an otherwise happy or exciting occasion.

I'm off to bed. I imagine I'm going to be looking for Delenn instead of writing my NaNoWriMo tomorrow but I guess that's just how that goes.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your cat. I always freak out when my cat (Mojo) gets out. Luckily nothing bad ever happened. It's nearly impossible to write about something you have no experience in. You can't fake experience.

And when something does happen, then you're too close to it to write about it well. You've got to wait--often a long time. Years later, after the memories have distilled and yielded up their lessons, their resonant images, and their essences, then you can write about it.

Think of the events like wine. Bottle them up. Put them in your cellar until they age properly. When they are mature and ready, uncork and decant into your fiction...

Of course this isn't true about all things, but think about this: the farther away you get from your own childhood, the more resonances and meanings and amazing images you can distill from it. If you're a parent, you'll think much differently about your children's early years after they've grown and gone than you did when you were experiencing them. It's the distance that allows us the great insights, which might then make it into our writing.

Many people on this forum are so much younger than I am, I don't even know if what I'm saying here will really be understood by anyone, but you fogies out there know what I mean.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited November 07, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear that kitty returned home this morning.

You're right about using experiences. For actors, it's called method acting. For writers, well, I don't know what you would call it except maybe drama.

Being able to write a depth of emotion adds drama regardless of genre or style.

I actually noticed a similar juxtaposition in the original A hundred and one Dalmations cartoon. The mommy dog gives birth to 15 puppies! 15! How happy, how joyous, etc., etc. But then one dies. You watch the anticipation and excitement grow as one after the one the puppies are born, and then it is all smashed because one dies. Of course they find a way to revive it, but for a few momnents that puppy is really gone and it is difficult to be happy that there are still 14 other puppies.

I know I'm mostly grown up (at least physically ), but that point in that movie has always struck me as being so real.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention method acting because that is exactly how I feel when I write emotional scense in my work. I take the feelings of a similar moment in my life (or one that feels appropriate) and use that to describe how the character feels and even how they react. I've found studying acting has lent a great deal of emotional truth to my writing.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.