Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » the ratplant (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: the ratplant
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if your particular bent is GM hysteria, it's already been done to death, and much better than this.
it's infinitely more complex than that. GM hysteria is only a small part of it, well, it's somewhat sizeable, but not that much, it was the original's primary focus, but i'm trying to decrease it's focus just a little... it's just also the most difficult to set up right

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Then go with ninja-bots.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Survivor's suggestion. Well spoken, sir.

Ninja bots. Hell yeah.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja bots VS Samurai mutants.... hell yeah!
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
QuantumLogic
Member # 2153

- posted      Profile for QuantumLogic           Edit/Delete Post 
In F&F the passage you posted contained the line:

"They also gave these creatures intelligence, and then drove them mad in experiments."

I've gotten the impression from this thread that all these creatures are supposed to be insane, not just the original batch. Acquired characteristics are not passed genetically.

[This message has been edited by QuantumLogic (edited November 27, 2004).]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

is there something wrong with genetic memory? it's been done before. i didn't specify it yet, but i guess that was negligence on my part.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Genetic memory has always seemed one of the more doubtful of the sf tropes to me. Did the scientists build it in on purpose? Cause it ain't gonna happen by accident. If they did, why? I mean, really, what were these guys thinking?
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

ok, so maybe genetic memory is out... perhaps there is another reason why they continue to be insane, even into the 4th or 5th generation...
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the ratplant GM thing. It doesn't ring-true-ish.

The only reason I can see that a species would remain consistently insane into the 4th and 5th generation is because there is some sort of environmental or ecological advantage in it. But in that case it isn't insanity. It is only apparent insanity because there is an underlying purpose, a method in the madness.

Insane means of 'unsound mind' or with a 'damaged ability to reason'. I don't think you can properly apply that word with integrity to a non-reasoning or un-selfaware entity. What I mean is it seems contrived and anthropomorphised.

Why not use a native organism that has evolved over bazillions of years to have some cool traits but the GM Scientists mess it up in an attempt improve it or make it more useful? These scientists may have induced some sort of wildcard sideeffect that does not afflict the whole, (and otherwise very useful) population. Perhaps it is some sort of polygenic threshold trait that did not manifest for a few generations and not until after whole industries and populations became dependant on the little buggers. Create a reason why the GM Scientists can't just geno-nuke them.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 28, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

jeeze, that won't really work either hoptoad, i mean the whole unknown species thing.

the times i am creating here is one of total annihilation of the United States and global disruption therefrom... within US borders, where these things thrive, there aren't really any industries. i mean, there are groups of people trying to survive, but nothing super coherent. the story involves a small group of people who are going to be involved in correcting the anarchy... once again, too much generalization, but it'll take a whole novel to get my entire idea across.

these things purpose in existence has to be something that people could find useful even without having any industries, and their result can't be anything but catastrophic. also, there can't be a reason NOT to geno-nuke them, just an improbability of it occuring... so i'm looking not for a reason NOT to nuke them, but rather a reason why they couldn't be nuked sooner. because before the end of the story they ARE going to be nuked.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
If all the mortvers die will thousands of people starve to death?

Edited to delete a rant.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 29, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

simple answer, no.

more complicated answer follows:
they were meant to be a testing in preparation to make an improved meat food supply, however, they got out of hand... at least that's the premise i worked with when they were ratplants, but now i think i'm going to have to find a new premise... mortvers' certainly don't have much use as food...

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited November 29, 2004).]

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no reason for these creatures to be mad then, just violently aggressive towards people who intrude on their territory... more of an autonomous reaction. You could have them producing (as a waste product) a fuel... they could be the ulitmate dung producers...wooo!!

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimate dung producers. Well, their fertilizer could be rich in necessary nutrients allowing previously unusable land to be reclaimed for both the growing of food and for pastures for cattle.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind, though, that you have to get the nutrients from somewhere. They won't just appear in a creature's physiology. It has to have some raw materials to work with.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Ay, there's the rub.

In order to produce this gloriously rich fertilizer, the mortvers need to feed on flesh. They don't require much food for themselves and most of what they eat is processed and excreted.

As for needing them to go insane or something, perhaps instead of starting from lab rats, they start from racoons. Racoons make great pets when they are young, but once they reach a certain age, they become wild and will attack. Several years ago I remember reading about racoon maulings. People who had owned their racoons from the time the animals were born were being viciously attacked (I think it was when the animal reached age 3 or 4 -- possibly related to puberty or something).

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.