Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Spelling out numbers

Author Topic: Spelling out numbers
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm picking a fight, or maybe I'm the only one bothered by this, but the illogic, nay stupidity of this "rule" drives me nuts.

Here's the deal, can anyone rationally explain to me why we as "writers" are saddled with the inane rule that says that when I use a number, I must spell it out instead of using, duh a number?

How is Eighteen hundred thirty six, or even eighteen thirtysix, supposed to be better for the reader than 1836? Every time I find myself writing numbers in my book I have to force myself to spell the stuff out, because "that's proper grammar." Why, why why why????

Sorry for the rant but I've never heard any other justification. I may be a geek, but don't numbers make more sense? They are more compact, easier to read, and don't need to be translated. There are just three reasons for using numerals off the top of my head. Can anyone match that number for spelling the @#!$% things out?

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the reason, and I don't have my style guide handy, but in journalism the rule is:

Nine and under get written out , 10 and over use the numeric.

The exceptions are:

1) If the number appears at the beginning of a sentence, write it out.
i.e. Ten years ago I went on my first camping trip.
NOT
10 years ago I went on my first camping trip.

2) Numbered lists always use the numeric. Of course, numbered lists are rare in journalism (and should really only be used when the order is important, most lists should be bulleted).
i.e. 1,2,3,4...
NOT
One, Two, Three, Four...

3)Address should use the numeric.
i.e. #7 Cherry Tree Lane
NOT
Number Seven Cherry Tree Lane

Of course, as Christine's thread points out, rules can be broken...

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited November 30, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
it depends on your viewpoint!

my omniscient narrator would ALWAYS spell numbers out, Slicer would ALWAYS use numerics, and Viniece would follow the rules...

what i'm saying is that you convey something when you use numbers in certain ways.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I basically do what Robyn_Hood said. I would add that I typically spell out small numbers wherever they appear in a sentence, assuming they appear alone. My twelve-year-old daughter...When I was three...I ordered two hamburgers and some fries. Big numbers I tend to write plainly. On her 300th birthday, Zoie returned home for the first time in nearly 280 years. But even big numbers need to be spell out at the beginning of a sentence. Two hundred years ago....Eight thousand people showed up for...I often rewrite the sentence when I have big, long numbers so that they appear in mid-sentence and I can write them out rather than spelling them out.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a system I use for non-date, non-address numbers. The system may seem complex, but it is basically putting into rules what I do naturally.

1. If it begins a sentence, write it all out, no matter how big. (Five
hundred and thirty-seven thousand, three hundred and twenty-one years ago...)

2. If it is under three digits write it out. (five, eighty-seven)

3. If it is a three-digit multiple of one hundred, write it out. (one
hundred, four hundred)

3. If it is a power of ten with its own special name, write it out. (one
thousand, one million, one billion...)

4. If it is a number of less than three digits or a three-digit multiple of
one hundred, followed by a power of ten with its own special name, write it
out. (twenty-three billion, two thousand, seven hundred million)

5. If the rules so far haven't covered it, and it is greater than one
million, use digits and a decimal point (if needed) to describe the number in
terms of whatever -illion applies (423 million, 5.7 billion, 999.9 trillion)

6. If the rules haven't covered it yet, use digits. (1001; 22,222;
97,888,625,266)

Under these rules (except #1), I believe you will never have a number written out
that uses more than three words (not including "and") until you get to one hundred thousand vigintillion.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I write it out if I want the reader to sound it out, and I put use numerals if I want the reader to see the numeric value.

In fiction writing, you usually want the reader to "hear" rather than see numbers. But not always. Sometimes you want both.

quote:
"That'll be fifty-seven twenty-four."

May blinked. $57.24 for a machine gun?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the replies, but except for Survivor, no one has really addressed the root issue. Why spell out numbers at all? Suvivor's response gives a slight clue, but I still don't get it. It may just be me, but a spelled out number (of virtually any length, though longer is worse) takes me longer to process. Numerals exist for a reason, they are much more efficient. And I still "hear" number whether it had been spelled out or not.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
okay, i'm going to try to make plainer what i stated previously here:
quote:
it depends on your viewpoint!

my omniscient narrator would ALWAYS spell numbers out, Slicer would ALWAYS use numerics, and Viniece would follow the rules...

what i'm saying is that you convey something when you use numbers in certain ways.

basically, when you spell out numbers on a constant basis, at least to me, you help to add to an air of archaism, when you use numerics on a constant basis, you create a rather fresh, modernized air, and when you follow the rules, well, you create a person who follows rules

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> Why spell out numbers at all?

Because we're paid per word.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
The only real rule I was taught says to keep to whatever convention you started with.

So, it is wrong to say: "There are 6 eggs from four hens that are 2 days older than the first three."

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason I know of is tradition. It's the way it always has been, so it's the way it will continue to be. Kind of a pain sometimes, but not worth the effort to fight it, as far as I'm concerned.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

[quote]The clerk gestured upwards, and after a moment May noticed the sign, Personal Defense: Cat. 5722.

"You want Personal Armaments, Heavy: 5724."

Survivor
Member # 213

Crap. I'm leaving it that way, though.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I just like the look of the word 'twelve' as opposed to 12.

But five thousand eight hundred forty-seven...now that's just awkward no matter what.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited December 02, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.