Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Children's writing questions

Author Topic: Children's writing questions
reazwoz
Member # 2223

- posted      Profile for reazwoz   Email reazwoz         Edit/Delete Post 
help.

need good publisher address for reputable children's books.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean a reputable publisher, or are there really publishers who specialize in disreputable children's books?

I am planning to try and locate an agent, personally. That should help cut back on the vanity press offerings, I hope.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! That's a toughie. I understand the children's book market is pretty hard to break into--particularly picture books.

I hope you're writing and submitting short stories to children's magazines. That'll help tremendously to get your foot in the door at the book publisher's.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Children buy magazines?
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Never under-estimate the buying power of a two-year-old.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Parents buy magazines FOR them--sillies.

Surely you remember Highlights in your dentist's waiting room? There are numerous periodicals out there for children. Many parent magazines also print stories for children. Then there's Cricket magazine and its related age-graded magazines (I don't recall the titles of the others--all but names--but there are three or four of them in all).

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Check out this link:

http://www.cricketmag.com/pages_content.asp?page_id=6

How's that for a list of reputable children's magazines accepting stories and poems? True, they are all from the same publisher, but this company has been around for YEARS. Very reputable, I'd guess.

And they stinking pay up to 25c PER WORD!!! (Though I imagine you get paid per experience and name recognition, so a beginning writer likely wouldn't get that much. Still...)

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited December 03, 2004).]

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dakota. It would be fun to write for one of those publications.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably showing my youth, here, but I have to say that as a child ages about eight to twelve or so, I absolutely adored Chricket magazine. It beats out Highlights hands down. I was fascinated, enthralled, and mesmerized every time a new issue came in the mail. Unfortunately it was pretty expensive, so my parents couldn't often afford to subscribe. I resorted to flipping through them at the library. The only other imprint of theirs I remember off the top of my head is Ladybug, the one for younger kids. If you can get published by that company, major kudos and I'll buy the issue!!

I have always loved children's literature, and would eventually like to break into that field as well. One book on children's publishing said that 95% of published picture books are written by established picture book authors or celebrities. If you're already famous, go for it. If not, you'll probably rot in slush pile hell. But, WE will ALL be famous writers some day, neh? So no worries there!

A good nature-oriented children's magazine is Ranger Rick, another one I read as a child.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.