Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Weapons

Author Topic: Weapons
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ignorant. For a section of the WIP, I want to keep this with an air of credibility.

Are there long range tranquilizer guns with a telescopic scope? If so, how long range are they?

I ask because:
(1) The characer (Abillus) wishes to assassinate his brother-in-law.
(2) Abillus cannot use his "magic" abilities, it would be like lighting a match in a dark room for a thousand miles around.
(3) Abillus wants to leave no evidence. If he used a normal long-range firearm, it would be a mess to clean up, and thus leave evidence.
(4) Abillus cannot sneak up on his brother-in-law.

Therefore I thought a tranquilizer might be effective, if done from long range. Once his brother-in-law is out, Abillus can blah, blah, blah, blah...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
How long-range?
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, shooting a dart instead of a bullet is going to severely limit the potential range of the projectile. A dart has to be fletched to have a stable flight, and fletching creates drag, drag reduces velocity, and lower velocity increases flight trajectory. Using a dart also limits the amount of force with which the gun can fire. Too much force will cause the dart to bow or vibrate, again destabilizing flight. The more force you want to apply to the dart, the heavier the dart has to be to avoid bowing.
A heavier dart also has the advantage of more certain penetration on impact. Lighter bullets, even at high velocity, occasionaly ricochet off of bone without doing much damage. (I saw this with my own eyes during deer season earlier this year).

Projectiles exist on a spectrum. At one extreme you have a rock--you throw the rock at something, it travels in a noticeable arc into the air and down to the target. At the other extreme is a high-powered rifle. The bullet from the rifle travels in a 'flat line' from the muzzle to the target. (Techincally, both the rock and the rifle bullet travel in parabolic arcs. Both the rock and the bullet experience the same downward pull of gravity, and both fall at the same rate. But the rock has much less horizontal velocity than the bullet. The net result is that the bullet's flight path looks flat, while the rock arcs).

A tranquilizer dart will be closer to a rock than a bullet. Giving your technology all of the benefit of the doubt, I would guess you have an effective range of maybe 100 yards, give or take. And at that distance, your shooter has to be a heck of a shot and will be aiming a couple of inches over the head of the target to account for the drop.

Is noise a factor? Whether your tranquilizer gun is pneumatic or a firearm will factor into its range. An air-powered gun is quieter, and can provide significant power. You could also use a lighter (and hence flatter-flying and easier to aim) dart in an airgun. But your range would be 40-70 yards at most. If the target was wearing any kind of armor or leather, there would be a signifiicant chance of deflection.

A gunpowder-thrown dart would have greater range, but would make much more noise, require a heavier dart, and have more of a softball-like arc. Harder to aim, but a better chance of penetration on impact.

Your character could hire a couple of thugs to kill his brother, then shoot the thugs at close range with a tranq pistol (none of the worries of deflection or velocity there) and hack into their unconscious bodies a little with his brother's sword. Put the sword back into brother's hand, and voila! No murder investigation.

[This message has been edited by J (edited December 06, 2004).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
The best I could find on-line were these. I'd have to agree with J, 70 metres is the best you could probably get. Since this is in a magical setting, could you use magic to improve the range without drawing too much attention? Or could you use magic alter a regular bullet to get a better range?

http://www.animal-care.com/088.htm (up to 70 metres)
http://www.animal-care.com/098.htm (not sure of range, probably close to 70 metres or more)

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<How long-range?>

There is a house in the middle of acres and acres of woods. It's private Preatorian grounds (a secret society), three are guarding it, one of which is his brother in law.

He waits in hiding until the other two leave the grounds, and then makes his move.

<Is noise a factor?>
Since the others have left, and he counts on that happening, it's not a factor. No armor.

<Your character could hire a couple of thugs to kill his brother>

He would, but couldn't risk non-Preatorian's accessing the grounds.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Since this is in a magical setting, could you use magic to improve the range without drawing too much attention? Or could you use magic alter a regular bullet to get a better range?>

I wish I could, but like I said, it would be detected by everyone with like ability within a range of about 1000 miles. Most of all, it would give his brother-in-law warning.

J
Member # 2197

Sometimes farmers shoot rock salt out of shotguns to discourage trespassers from returning. You could just a poison-dipped BB from up to 70 or 80m with some accuracy.

The BB would leave a tiny entrance wound and no exit wound. The brother-in-law would probably think he had been stung by a wasp.

(I once long ago shot someone in the leg at that range with a BB gun. He thought he had been stung by a bee).

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Is the brother-in-law expecting to be assasinated?

If not, you could use a Macbeth approach. Victim trusts his killer and therefore lets him approach, unconcerned. Killer takes advantage and...

No sneaking required

You might also consider a crossbow or compound bow. It's been a while since I was involved in archery circles so I'm not sure of the distances you could reach, but I think they might work for your situation. They are silent and accurate in the right hands. You could use a fiber-optic sighting system (trés chic!). Also, far less messy than a rifle.

I've heard bow hunters tell some amazing stories. One talked about a taking down a deer. He shot it while the animal was grazing. The arrow went straight throught the animal and stuck in a tree. The animal was unmoved, but started when the arrow thudded in the tree. A few seconds later it fell over, dead.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Is the brother-in-law expecting to be assasinated?>

There's known anomisity, which is why he must make it like he disapeared rather than someone find the body.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Robyn_Hood,

Thanks for the links. Now that I'm home, I can look at 'em. Who knows what the invisible internet monitors at work would think...

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I just like brainstorming, so here's another idea.

Once the brother-in-law is down, or dead, bring along an indiginous, carnivorous animal to make it look like a mauling. When the body is found it would look like a terrible accident.

Of course this won't work if the plot hinges on the brother-in-law being presumed missing but not dead.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Praetorian grounds partly graveled? As in along walkways? Is the gravel big enough to hurt? Or are there plenty of ornamental rocks around? Take a piece of gravel and freeze it into a ball to gain more mass, then modify a crossbow to accept the ball and shoot him in the temple with that. The ice melts, the gravel is unnoticed among all the other pieces and there is a real mystery.

Or, make sure that there are plenty of small gravel pieces with sharp edges in the mix (flint or chert). Soak them in poison first, and smack him with the poisoned-gravel filled iceball. Or mix the poison into the water before you freeze it. If you're lucky he'll get scratched by the flint as the iceball disintegrates upon impact, and then the poison enters the wound as ice shards and melts there. You'd have to hit him on exposed skin that is not soft. That means the head. I'd aim for the ear.

Better be a good shot, though. I don't care what people's claims are, I wouldn't believe a shot from more than about 50 yards, if that much, even for an expert marksman.

In retrospect, perhaps a sling would be a better delivery method for a composite object like flint shards in ice. I used to play with slings as a boy and I could easily throw a baseball 100 yards, and up to about 20 yards I could hit a running kid (usually my younger brother).

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are the most weirdly inventive bunch...even I don't know what to think.

Anyway, you don't seem to really need a tranquilizer gun at all, since the main objective is to kill. You simply don't want a big mess.

So use a normal 5.56 long range sniper rifle with special ammunition. A tungsten bullet with your non-organic poison of choice.

Or, boobytrap the house or grounds. A hypodermic in the grass or something.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Of course this won't work if the plot hinges on the brother-in-law being presumed missing but not dead.>

Indeed, he wants to assassintate the man's character as well, by spreading back-channel gossip that his brother-in-law abondoned his post and went rogue.

<Are the Praetorian grounds partly graveled?>
There's a worn path where a automobile can access the house. But it's mostly woods.

<So use a normal 5.56 long range sniper rifle with special ammunition. A tungsten bullet with your non-organic poison of choice>
Wow. That sounds more like my original idea, until I thought of the mess. So, there wouldn't be an exit wound? Or much blood?

J
Member # 2197

5.56 is a little underpowered for distance shooting, but any high powered rifle bullet-(including 5.56) will most likely blow clear through an unarmored target and leave at least two incriminating facts:
1) Gaping exit wound
2) Splattered and pooled blood under and around the body

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly agree with Survivor's second point. The scenario you have created does not call for a weapon. It calls for a trap.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<It calls for a trap.>

The problem with the trap scenerio is that it could kill the other two, whom he does not want dead. Just his brother-in-law.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Could you use the wife or sister (not sure what type of brother-in-law), to slip him a diuretic or laxative? They don't even have to know they are doing it.

Then when the other two guards leave, b-i-l wanders over to the edge of the woods to relieve himself. That brings him close enough to Abillus to be assasinated without leaving a trace.

Actually, if it's a laxative he will be less likely to just turn and face the wall to do his business; it would force him to seek a more discreet location.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited December 07, 2004).]

J
Member # 2197

Note to self: Stay on Robyn's good side.

Robyn makes a good point--why not draw him into the woods somehow? Either by her highly creative suggestion, or with the more stock approach of creating some sort of disturbance. Something serious enough to require investigation, but non-threatening enough that brother-in-law would feel safe investigating alone. Like an arrowed deer collapsing within sight of the walls, or something.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

The advantages of drawing him away from the house are:

-Only B-I-L's footprints will be found
-No dragging marks, from dragging a dead body
-Implicates B-I-L as having wandered away from his post
-Reduces risk of alarm being sounded; some thing being seen
-Less chance of being caught by the other two guards if they return before Abillus can remove B-I-L's body

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a thorn dipped in slow acting poison and slipped into the poor fellow's boot?

Or specially trained spiders (or bees)that follow the guy's scent and attack en masse?

Remember that weapons don't have to go bang. The most interesting ones usually don't make any noise at all.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<It calls for a trap.>

The problem with the trap scenerio is that it could kill the other two, whom he does not want dead. Just his brother-in-law.

Well then, how about poisoned sherbet in his favorite flavor?

And there's nothing weird about poisoned iceballs. Use 'em all the time.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
man you guys are creative in your mayhem making, a little bit scary too. A poisoned bb would be a very nice touch (or a pellet) I know for a fact that you can shoot a good 100 yards with one of them. what about a distraction/trap combo. If he is lured into the woods by some distraction that the killer controls, then you don't have to worry about the other guards getting caught. You can just trigger the distraction when they are gone.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But you said Abillus had a tranquilizer. I wasn't suggesting a trap to kill the victim, I was suggesting a trap to administer the tranquilizer. The worst that could happen is the wrong person gets tranquilized once or twice before the right person gets caught. While a competent Abillus ought to be able to avoid that situation, if he is incompetent (or unlucky) it could give you a funny scene.

Eventually the b-i-l would be tranquilized. Then Abillus can do his blah, blah, blah.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Tungsten is a very hard metal which doesn't deform on impact, and it won't leave a "gaping" exit wound at all, unless the range is really long such that the bullet has time to tumble. No gaping exit wound, no real problem with too much blood. 5.56 is NATO standard, even though most dedicated sniper rifles are chambered for 7.62 or similar sizes there are plenty of 5.56 sniper rifles.

If you don't mind reducing your effective range a bit, you could use something more like a .22 rifle (or even the new .177), those have reasonable ranges. And the pellet gun angle isn't to be overlooked, a pellet fired from a hand pumped air rifle can have a muzzle velocity of over 900 fps, which is plenty for delivering toxin to an unarmored target at a hundred yards. The problem is that you said that this guy couldn't just sneak up on the target, so I thought getting inside of a hundred yards might be difficult for him.

Depending on the level of non-magical technology you have available, your guy could use an auto-stabilizing micro-rocket with any of several toxin vector warheads. But at that level of technology, I doubt he could beat the forensics team.

But I think that putting LSD in his liquor/sherbert supply or something is probably your best bet.

J
Member # 2197

Standard military carbine rounds are not generally what you want to be firing for precise, long-range shooting. The slugs fired from 5.56 NATO and the 7.62 x 54R rounds are too light to reliably get one-shot kills at range. Because even the heaviest (75+ grain) of these slugs typically splinter on impact, there is no room for error. Shot placement has to be perfect. No assassin in his right mind would choose a bullet with placement that unforgiving.

Here's your dilemna with firearms, Chris. If you use a bullet that is sure to kill b-i-l (say a 30.06 round) then you're going to leave a gaping exit wound and lots of blood. But B-I-L will likely be dead as fried chicken after the first shot, assuming your character is a decent marksman.

If you use a smaller military round (5.56 or 7.62), you solve one problem--the mess. These rounds are far more likely to splinter in the body. The chance of a gaping exit wound is still significant, but not certain. I get the impression that a 50/50 chance of leaving a lot of evidence isn't acceptable for your character. Another problem, as mentioned above, is that there is no room for error with the shot.

On the other hand, if you use a non-deforming bullet (tungsten), your assassin stands a pretty significant chance of wounding, but not killing, b-i-l. The tungsten bullet will make a hole right through him, but it won't cause the same degree of trauma to his insides on the way through as other bullets. A tungsten bullet presents some evidentiary advantages, but at the cost of even less certainty of killing the target.

You could, as Survivor suggested, poison the tungsten slug. This still leaves you with two problems. 1) Rifles aren't easily suppressed. You'll make some noise firing.
2) B-I-L will have at least one, and probably 2 holes in his body. These holes will bleed. If B-I-L falls down (say because of the poison) and just lays there, blood will pool pretty quickly. 3) Poison delivery. The bullet will pass through the target so quickly that there won't be much time for the poison to rub off. I've seen much slower slugs than the ones we're discussing here pass through a deer without getting bloody.
If you use a hollow-point tungsten to hold the poison (maybe covering the hollow with wax), you solve the delivery problem. But at the cost of significantly raising the probability of a gaping exit wound.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that your first instinct--that you wouldn't be able to use a firearm to get the job done--was probably right.

[This message has been edited by J (edited December 08, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Hollow point tungstun? That's a new one to me. J's right that tungstun rounds tend to wound rather than kill, you can fire them right through a human head and not even shave too much off the baseline IQ But as long as you design the bullet right, it will leave plenty of toxin inside the body as it goes through. I suggest going for a gutshot, using a fast acting nerve toxin. You don't want the target to bleed too much and you certainly don't want him to get back to the house or call for help.

Silencing the round is probably a concern as well. A 5.56 doesn't silence all that easily, so perhaps .177 is your best bet. Better range and accuracy than a .22, but easier to silence. Also, you could use a hollow point deformable round and not have too great a risk of producing an exit wound, particularly if you went for a chest shot. That still might bleed a bit more than you'd want, so a special super deformable toxin delivery dart might be the better approach.

At some point, though, you do begin to run into the "invisible internet monitors" problem. Researching and aquiring highly specialized weapons can be a rather conspicuous activity, not the sort of thing that jibes well with having a high profile close relative simply disappear. I think that I concurr with J that this can't be easily done with off-the-shelf equipment. And if it could, then that would be the first thing investigators would suspect, eh? Heck, if you could do it off-the-shelf, the security arrangements should probably be designed to protect against it.

I think that you'll need to look more at something "dual use" in nature, which isn't terribly exotic to your chosen setting. A tranquilizer/toxin gun doesn't cut it, I don't think. A recreational drug (legal or not), on the other hand, might work well.

Of course, we haven't even touched the issue of giving Abillus an alibi.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Of course, we haven't even touched the issue of giving Abillus an alibi.>

He is supposed to be in Italy at the time, so he has that covered. If nobody suspects foul play, nobody would search for CSI like accuracy at the scene. I hope by him putting few shovel fulls into a bag would eliminate most of the evidence.

Of course in the end, it'll come full circle.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Wow. I'm floored. I didn't except this much expertise, my eyes glazes sometimes while reading it.

My father let me fire his rifle once, I must of been 8 to 10 or something. I didn't have it placed properly, and when I fired it slammed against my shoulder. It hurt like heck. Never fired a gun again.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I'm thinking going the custom made weapon route (one that's in the limits of today's technology, but doesn't nessarily exist).

Here's a fragment, I know the writing needs to be clean up, but does this sound credible?

“Go ahead, yuppy, open it.” The primitive pointed to the ebony case that rested on the table. Abillus snapped it open, and lifted the lid. “A beaut, ain’t it?”

“Perhaps...” Abillus examined the telescopic scope, its long sleek barrel. “If it performs to my liking.”

“Long range. Minimal entrance wound. No exit wound. The cyanide acts within seconds,” the primitive said. “Custom crafted. You won’t find the likes of it anywhere else.”

J
Member # 2197

Three suggestions:

1) Consider a different poison. Cyanide is an asphyxant; it works by crowding oxygen out of your red blood cells. It kills you by suffocating you on a cellular level. This takes more time than you probably want. Also, even though he'll be technically suffocating, b-i-l will have plenty of air to scream about the hole you put in him. I agree with Survivor that a nerve toxin is probably your best choice.

2) If you're getting super-custom gear, consider a hollow bullet filled with poison and sealed with wax, designed to fragment after impact. Delivering more poison will help it act faster, and this will make the 'no exit wound' claim more credible

3) If you want your rifle to sound super-custom, there are a few gadgets you can give it.
a) thick, heavy barrel for better control.
b) Jewell trigger. This is a trigger than can be adusted to fire with less than three pounds of pull ("hair trigger")
c) Set-off trigger. This is a second trigger. When you pull it, it doesn't fire the gun. Instead, it reduces the pull on the firing trigger down to a soft breath.
d) Bipod

Here are a couple of pictures of custom (or customizable) rifles:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/1318/WA2000.html

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn10-e.htm

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn05-e.htm

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it help if the bees were actually Juvenile Mutant Ninja Robot Killer Bees?
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<I agree with Survivor that a nerve toxin is probably your best choice.>

Wow. I guess this is why some stick to swords, they're simple enough.

What kind of nerve toxin?

<Would it help if the bees were actually Juvenile Mutant Ninja Robot Killer Bees?>
Only if they come from the Delta Quadrant.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited December 08, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

LOL. Last night I lay in bed and wondered that we hadn't had ninjas suggested as the ultimate killing machines.

-----

If you're going with a gun, could he make his own bullets? I'm thinking of a CSI episode, this guy made bullets out of frozen ground beef. There was an entrance wound but no exit wound and no bullet...but Grisham finally figured it out

The beef could be poisoned and you could also use the hollow point poison delivery system.

I still think there is a problem with removing the body. If this is a mostly modern setting, investigators will be called out to check on the missing persons. They will discover an extra set of footprints, take impressions and tell you what kind of shoes Abillus was wearing when he carried off his B-I-L. They will find evidence of a body being dragged away, or they will notice that the second set of prints is deeper heading away from the house, indicating that the mystery person carried off something heavy into the bushes.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<If this is a mostly modern setting, investigators will be called out to check on the missing persons.>

Ordinarily. But we are dealing with a secret society. They wouldn't call in outside investigators. Too, it's a period of great disruption. They have many things to investigate.

To me, without a body, or obvious evidence that Senus was killed, there's no reason to look for it. There are footsteps all around. I think Abillus could carry the body into the woods.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
If the target is in a heavilly wooded area INSIDE a structure, you are never going to make a shot with a tranquilizer weapon. The chance of deflection from limbs, leaves and such, not to mention the DEFINITE deflection when it makes contact with window glass would pretty much preclude the use of an air rifle. Even standar munition behave erratically when they make contact with glass.

It would be preferable if you gave a more detailed account of exactly what the character is attempting to achieve and why something as clumsy as killing the other character is neccesary. Also if there is known animosity between them, the character disappearing may actually cause more problems than it eliminates.

What sort of magic could be used mundanely without attracting undue attention?

Could you use magic to freeze water extra hard, maybe making it heat resistant, temporarilly, without garnering too much attention? The good old ice bullet is very effect and you can use a large calibre.

If a broken window is not a problem then using a 20mm grenade launcher loaded with some sort of a sleep agent or some such would be just as effective. Your going to be breaking a window anyway and a gas grenade is far less discriminating on where it is placed.

All of those approaches are very brute force and as a reader I would not find them very interesting. It would be far more interesting if you could come up with a way to do it using the magic of the world in a way that did not attract attention OR a VERY simple method, like the poisoned needle in the shoe.

Good luck!

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<What sort of magic could be used mundanely without attracting undue attention?>

Well, the whole purpose of this secret society is to prevent unauthorized use of this so-called "magic". Whenever it is used, it sends emanations along the continuum. It would be like lighting a match in a dark room. Abillus could, but would not want to bring that kind of attention.

Senus is acting as one of these monitors [monitors also act as guard to portals to another plane]. The other two assist, but go to investigate just such a distirbance. It leaves Senus by himself. There is no material but air between Abillus and him. Its wooded, but not that thickly wooded.

I believe there is "magic" enough elsewhere, to offset a killing by mundane means.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited December 08, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

If you want to go back to the traquillizing thing, I like the grenade launching idea. What kind of distance can you get with something like I wonder?
HuntGod
Member # 2259

Using it as point weapon (i.e. firing it on a flat trajectory) it has an effective range or around 150 meters, though it will not be as accurate as a rifle, it is still more than accurate enough to hit a normal sized window.

If you fire it on a parabolic arc as an indirect fire weapon it has an effective range of around 350-400 meters.

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited December 08, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

If you go with gas, have it in the house already, controlled by timer or remote. That way you don't need to fool with a grenade. A variety of pesticides for use on rodents and insects can be turned into effective nerve agents fairly simply, so that isn't such a huge problem, but if you're gassing the house with Senus inside, then the gas doesn't have to be super lethal.

I think that if Abillus isn't going to use magic and is going to involve a third party for things like aquiring the weapon and so forth, then a hired killer is his best bet.

I think that you (or Abillus) are making a serious mistake in thinking that during a period of unrest the disappearence of a prominent law enforcement agent would go completely unmarked. Still, it's your story. But Abillus should probably hire a professional for this, no matter how little faith he might have in "primatives" otherwise.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless he has some sick fascination with doing it himself.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<prominent law enforcement agent>
Technically not law enforcement, they leave the primitives to manage thier own affairs, but they do enforce thier laws, which is to monitor rogue activity.

Prominent from within, unknown to the word in general. They do have police contacts, and a few of the Neutrals are police.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

Well if your going to kill someone involving a third party is a mistake. A secret known by two people is no longer a secret.

The biggest problem will be figuring out how to make it a clean kill, since any investigation will most likely immediately target him. It is very difficult to kill someone that you have a known motive for killing and getting away with it. How you perform the assassination is important, but making sure that the character get away with it is equally important. That is assuming you want the character to get away with it.

Poison, in gas form or otherwise, is going to be the easiest, so long as the body is disposed of afterwords. The problem being that most poison that will kill quickly (under a minute) are not very hardy when subjected to heat, cold, etc. The poison that do survive well are generally heavilly regulated.

Good luck. I would avoid going with a paid assassin if at all possible, though if you do, you generate some nice plot possibilities with the assassin blackmailing him or otherwise leaking the information.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<I would avoid going with a paid assassin if at all possible>

Yep. Doing so would lessen the impact of having him do it himself. Also a paid assassin adds another character, and it would have to be outside thier secret society, and jepordize thier secrets.

There's more to tell then just the killing, to complicate it to much might take from the overall flow and plot.

Survivor
Member # 213

Then you can't have him go to an exotic weapons dealer either. And Senus is a law enforcement agent to the people that would have reason to suspect Abillus as his killer (and the power to do anything about it), which is the critical point.

By this point, I'm thinking that you're having Abillus act way out of character. Just my hunch. But he clearly isn't all that concerned about the laws of his own society. And who says that the hired killer has to live? Half in advance, half on delivery...I believe this arrangement is not unusual.

J. Stewart
Member # 2262

- posted      Profile for J. Stewart   Email J. Stewart         Edit/Delete Post 
How about poisoning b-i-l beforehand? There are several slow acting poisons that are used by real world spy types. One famous case involved a poisoned pellet that was injected on a crowded street when the spy jabbed his target with an umbrella. Hours later the guy dropped dead from a simulated heart attack.

Or how about a two part poison? Slip him the first part beforehand, but it is harmless until a second ingredient is introduced into the body.

If you do the homework, you will find that most “quiet” killings take place with suppressed 22 caliber pistols at short range. Think of innovative ways to get rid of the evidence trail. The most effective being an iron-clad alibi! Even if you manage to kill him from a distance, you still have to approach the body to dispose of it. Luring him away from his post is probably the most effective tactic for that.

I think it would be much more interesting to have Albius do this by magic. How about using a synchronized magical diversion? One that sets off all of the alarms and “drowns out” the small amount of magic used for the murder. It could be some kind of magic bomb or magnetic pulse.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

The last post made me think of something. Can the Preatorian's differentiate between magic generated by different people?

If not, here is another idea.

If you turn on a flashlight in a dark room, the source is obvious. Turn on a flashlight in a lighted room and it will probably go unnoticed.

Likewise with magic. If something else magical is happening at the time you plan the assassination, Abillus could get away with using magic, or something magical, to kill his B-I-L.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Can the Preatorian's differentiate between magic generated by different people?>

They can differentiate different phenomena and the power of it, depending of the frequency and overtones of the wave. But they can't tell who the individual is.

They have multiple monitors, scattered every five hundred miles or so. Therefore they can triangulate the position of the disturbance also.

The problem is, this is near a portal, which leads to the Plane of Preatoria. They are very touchy about the portals for fear of a rogue intrusion. To locate even a small emanation that close to a portal site would invoke a knee jerk reaction.

But because of Abillus, the portal does go unguarded and dire circumstances arise...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.